Help me choose a budget gigging amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LunarSlingShot, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:59 AM.

1. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Man, you're really annoying.

2. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I used to own a Blues Deville. Nice amp but I don't miss it at all.

[​IMG]

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Hey, if you didn't want suggestions and opinions, you maybe shouldn't have asked for them.

But, now we all know that you don't really want that.

Carry on :)

MilwMark likes this.
  4. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Out of your choices I'd pick the Classic 30, no question. I can't think of another high-quality American-made two-channel 30-watt EL84 amp for under a grand, never mind that you can easily find them for around $300 used.

Is there not a shop in your area that will let you finance used gear? My local Mom & Pop will; it can't be that unusual.

5. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

a used marshall DSL40C or a katana 100w I would think covered all the bases.

marc2211 likes this.
  6. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

^^^this or studio pro

hrstrat57 and CK Dexter Haven like this.
  7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

The only amps I would consider in that price range would be used. You will get way more for the money if you know what to check i.e. tubes, speakers etc.

My recommendations would be, in a good, better, best order, a Fender Deluxe Reverb, Marshall DSL40C, Fender Vibrolux (the best but you really have to know about Filter cap replacement because many of these need replacements immediately) all used, will match your criteria and I have gigged them all extensively.

I've gigged Peavey amps as well and they are prone to frequent servicing.

Tim S likes this.
  8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Well, @blowtorch definitely has his way of giving advice. In this case I agree with him.

I'll put it my way.

Making a large purchase on credit out of desperation rarely turns out well. I consider $750 to be a very big purchase. I rarely spend that much on anything music related. And I'm finally at a point I could absorb it far better than I could when I was in your shoes.

Pawn or sell of some other gear if you need cash right away. Then either borrow, or buy used, or very cheap new. Like Monoprice new. There are plenty of sub $350 used amps out there that are fine for bar gigs.

You can scrounge and pay $350 for a used Blues Junior. Or you can pay $600 for it new, or under credit/installment. That's a big difference in cost value. And there is high risk of default and other problems when paying under one of those no interest plans. Google a bit and see the horror stories.

Last year I bought a DSL20CR new for ~$525 after discounts. Paid with CC. You can't give them away used right now. If I would have waited a while I could have picked one up for very cheap. OTOH, I got a blues junior recently in a trade (less than $300 trade value), and I'm deciding which one I'm gonna keep.

Not a huge deal for me at this point in my life. Potentially horrible financial decision when I was younger and poorer, though.

When I was in your exact shoes, a guy I played music with at the time had some big stars in his eyes that rubbed off on me. I paid ~$700 for an old Marshall half-stack (would be worth thousands now). We couldn't afford it, and I put in on CC. I eventually had to sell it when things didn't take off. My debt load took many years longer to pay off, and I no longer have my dream amp, nor will I ever pay what they are now worth. I learned a hard lesson about finances. Take it from us who have been there and done that.

9. marc2211

marc2211 Tele-Meister

DSL40C covers a *lot* of ground. If I was buying an amp now, I never thought I'd say it, but I'd look digital (or hybrid) - a Fender Tonemaster, something from Orange like a Micro Terror.

10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

of your choices, Katana 100 or choice of which one.

I'm a Champion 100 fan myself. (at 300 USD it's hard to beat)

11. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

hey if he wants to throw away his money, let him

twangjeff likes this.
  12. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

A used C30. a used Blues Junior maybe a used PV Bandit.

There are a million choices an old Deuce in good shape might be an option ( if you don't mind an occasional slipped disk :D).

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

With all due respect, the guy asked for amp advice, not financial advice.

BTW, I'd go PV Classic 30. I gigged one for several years. Convenient, plenty loud and sounds pretty good.

stevemc, ladave, Teleprismo and 2 others like this.
  14. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

No he didn't. But the vast majority of responses have suggested buying used. OP's case is that he has NO cash to buy used, and is therefore looking at buying new through a no-interest plan. That's got trouble written all over it.

Good advice is not always what is wanted or expected.

15. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Afflicted

So true man......

16. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

2 Blues Juniors with upgrade speakers.

17. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

For gigging in noisy bars to people who are more interested in booze and sex than in the music, why worry about the finer points of boutique tone? A Peavey Bandit, Champion 100, or anything similar plus a $100 overdrive pedal and you're fine. Don't overthink or overspend this situation.

18. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Questions:
    Was the Deville just right or too loud? If just right, they are loud amps, Get another one or better yet a Blues Deluxe.
    A Deville would be way too loud for me to use in bars.
    If the Deville was too much for you get the C30, Blues Jr, or better yet a DRRI .

19. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

So in other words, which car do you recommend I buy to go drive off a cliff with?

DuckDodgers and Pualee like this.
  20. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Marshall DSL40CR with the 6 button footswitch

4 channels and switchable lead volume boost, fx loop, and an emulated out when you eventually do want to put in through the PA.

Best value, properly featured gigging amp under £/$1k

Tim S and Chunkocaster like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.