Help me choose a budget gigging amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by LunarSlingShot, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:59 AM.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

It is LOUD ( with an aftermarket Eminence Lil Texas Neo speaker, which is lightweight, yet rated at 120watts)

We only mic vocals in my band as we just play small-medium joints.
    If we play festivals where there is Pro sound, my amp gets mic-ed.

As a general rule if I'm playing ( old) Classic Country, it's basically guitar>amp,
    but for blues/rock/surf I use an always ON Blues Driver which adds OD, presence, volume to amp, and I just control clean>dirt from my guitar Volume knob. Just an easy way to do whatever I need.
    Never had BJ Master Volume past half up

nojazzhere and LunarSlingShot like this.
  2. jonnyfez

jonnyfez Tele-Afflicted

Used Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb. $600-700.

muchxs likes this.
  3. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

Run the pedal board direct into the PA and make the harmonies double up together on a single mic.

I'd not spend money at that point, personally.

CK Dexter Haven likes this.
  4. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Everyone who gigs should have a PV Bandit..

Tube amp in shop? take the Bandit..
    Gig in chicken wire bar? Take the Bandit..
    Need to leave a amp in rehearsal space.. Bandit.
    Amp to leave in car/ backup.. Bandit.
    In between "good" amps..yep Bandit
    You get the idea.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:56 AM
  5. Daytona.57

Daytona.57 Tele-Meister

Used Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed and add a 1x12 cab, when you can afford it.

YMMV

6. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

Thanks for the amp suggestion. Appreciate that.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

I have a better idea.

I can't speak for Oklahoma but I keep seeing old Carvin powered mixing boards showing up on our local Craigslist.

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/d/norwood-carvin-pa-rack-and-speakers/7030822676.html

I'm tempted to trade a tweed Champ replica for it if the seller will do that.

$600 and your PA is taken care of for the forseeable future!

You know that $600 asking means some fraction of $600 in Oklahoma.

Or:

https://providence.craigslist.org/msg/d/pawtucket-carvin-cx-w-professional-mixer/7010284540.html

I once slaved a couple of these low buck powered mixers together for a musical theater production. I needed a lot of channels because there were a lot of mics dangling off the ceiling on the stage. Had a bunch of mic cues because most of the performers weren't strong vocalists.

Spend whatever coins you have left over on a Tech 21 Trademark 30. The Trademark 30 is an amp built around a SansAmp direct box.

RyCo1983 and ce24 like this.
  8. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

No judgments here. I’ve financed before quite a bit. No shame in it, if people buy with cash that’s cool, if they finance and they’re happy with that choice, that’s cool too.

It helps to clarify just to know if we can help you with your options, so thank you. Some folks know what’s out there and what their options are, some folks don’t know.

Crawldaddy and aging_rocker like this.
  9. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

Right now at GuitarCenter.com (which offer 36 mo. financing), within 200 miles of Ok City, there are about 50 Fender amps that meet your criteria (I only searched Fender): Blues Deville $550, a Hot Rod Deville for $600, Hot Rod Deluxe for $560, etc. All of these within 200 miles of zip code 73008 (I just picked a random Oklahoma City zip code, IDK where in Oklahoma you are). Do a search with your zip code and you will probably find similar.

nomadh and nojazzhere like this.
  10. LunarSlingShot

I appreciate that man. I work hard so that my wife can stay home and raise our 2 year old, but that just means that sometimes money is a little tight. I can't afford to blow a whole bunch of cash at once, but if I can finance at 48 months no interest, I can afford to pay $10-20 a month and it wouldn't effect me at all. It's just what we have to do sometimes to do what we love.

11. LunarSlingShot

Thanks! I'll check that out!

12. twangjeff

twangjeff Tele-Afflicted

Honest tough medicine advice, we are all friends here... take that 10-20 bucks a month and build up your savings account for the next rainy day. Otherwise, the next time you have an emergency, you'll be right back in the same place (Except now you'll have an extra monthly bill to pay the credit card). Trucks break down, kids get sick, appliances go down, etc. etc. In life, the answer is rarely if ever to go get a new credit card to finance non-essentials.

Pualee and CK Dexter Haven like this.
  13. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Sweetwater has the Marshall Origin 50c for $550 new -- had a version for the same price with a Creamback in it but that seems to have gone away. This is enough amp for any gig but power scaling makes it usable for smaller rooms, too. Excels at clean-to-crunch sounds, takes pedals well, switchable boost & effects loop.

Crawldaddy, Tim S and MilwMark like this.
  14. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

Peavey Bandit all day long - even the word “Band” is in it’s name. Virtually indestructible and used around $100-$200 (and they cleanup to brand new showroom clean with 5 Armor All pads.) I’d go insane without a Peavey Amplifier - wait...I am insane.:eek::D:lol:
    Remember to get the foot switch that comes with it too.

I am of the opinion that anyone who wastes their money on these so-called “pedigree amps” does not frequent the club scene and that the carpet said amp sits on is pristine.
    Lastly if Canada Bill Jones was alive he would unquestionably play through a Peavey Amplifier.
    Canada Bill is my moral compass without a doubt.

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A Blues JR is not loud enough to gig un-mic’d.

The JC 40 is outstanding. And LOUD.

So is the Origin 50 which is a steal at $550.

You can easily get a new Hot Rod Deluxe IV for $700 brand new. 40 watts and 40 lb. great clean channel and drive channel.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 1:59 PM
  16. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Only reason I go to clubs lately is to see musicians play through my so-called "pedigree amps".

The carpet on The Iron Horse stage is far from pristine.

Cool thing about it is I usually get VIP treatment on comped tickets.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  17. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Meister

Makes perfect sense to me. The only thing that is annoying to me about it is the payments seem to last forever. But if it’s truly not a financial burden with a low payment amount you’re comfortable with (in other words, a low enough payment that you foreseeably won’t be feeling it in the future), it’s all good.

The fact that you’re a gigging musician is all the more reason to get something that works for you now versus waiting and saving up. Is that the more “financially responsible” option? Sure. But don’t sweat it. You’re doing what’s best for you.

18. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

+1 the average American is said to be hard pressed to get 1k together for an emergency, I lived that way for years and it’s no fun. I’m not wealthy but I now keep a savings account for emergencies and the occasional good deal, when it gets low something gets sold to top it up, it gives you flexibility. Right now you don’t need anything fancy until you get a rainy day fund set up. I always keep a basic low $ rig, so I’m not having the “ what to get “ conversation, and have a little extra to pick up good deals to enjoy before flipping at a profit.
    I have two gigable amps that I paid $25 for each;one is a Bandit, the other is a older Acoustic 4x10 combo. My keeper guitar is a $15 Strat copy from Goodwill. I’m early retired and “Pinky” is a Godsend when things get tight. Ask around and explain what you are trying to do, it’s amazing what people have collecting dust.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    2 Headed Goat and twangjeff like this.
  19. LunarSlingShot

Thanks. I gig atleast once a month and sometimes twice a month. I never factor what I plan to make at a gig into all of my real bills (mortgage, car, insurance, blah blah blah) because it's not a for sure thing. So that gig money can go towards gear or other fun stuff. The amp will pay for itself after 4-5 gigs that we already have booked.

naveed211 likes this.
  20. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

What gives you that idea? :)
    Used is still your best value, every time. Even if you're wanting to figure in possible resale value down the road

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.