Help me choose-65 DRRI, 68 DRRI or Supro TremoVerb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by MerleJam, Oct 12, 2018.

1. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Hi everyone, I’m looking to buy an amp and have listened to what seems like every clip on YouTube and still am struggling . I need an amp that is big enough for small venue gigs, has enough clean and twang to handle Bakersfield, and has a nice overdriven tone. I play with some friends of mine and we do anything from Merle to Alice In Chains. I want an amp that takes pedals well but that doesn’t require them to sound good. The supro seems really cool to me but I can’t help but feel the DRRI is the better way to go. Then there’s the 65 and the 68 to sort out and I’ve seen versions with different speakers available( Celestions). Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  2. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

The Silverface '68 DRRI is highly rated, and is one of my own favourites. Give it a whirl, if you can. You may be pleasantly surprised.

old soul and MerleJam like this.
  3. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Afflicted

I own a 65 BFDRRI, and a 68 Custom DR.
    Just speaking for my taste and I now am retired
    Play with friends and my DR'S cut thru the mix easy. My favorite is the BF65 DR, not as loud but love the tone. I have the 12"Q Fender speaker in her. The 68 is noisy but not when playing.

MerleJam likes this.
  4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I suggest budgeting a little extra and buying a late-70's SFDR. Don't worry about the physical appearance and either buy one that has been freshly serviced (fairly new filter and bias caps, and dec ent tubes) or budget an extra $150-200 to get that work done (it's normal service every 15 years of so on all tube amps). You can find ones in decent condition for roughly $1,000. A '79 just sold for $780 on eBay.

The late 70's pull-boost models are virtually indistinguishable tone wise from earlier models (just don't pull the "boost" knob, which is benign when not in use), are better-built and easier to service than reissues, and will at least maintain value - more likely increase - over the years. You lose value on a new reissue the minute the receipt is printed.

A BF or SF DR is an amp you never get rid of, and I've never heard a single case of buyer's remorse - unless they disregarded ensuring it was properly serviced. Once in good playing order they rarely suffer ANY failures. Keep good tubes in it, have it biased when replacing power tubes, and plan on normal service again in 15 years or so.

AlbertaGriff, dannyh, Wally and 3 others like this.
  5. Linkslover

Linkslover Tele-Meister

Best advice i can give is go to one of the superstores. There's a good chance they'll have the 65 (bf) and the 68 (sf) and you can play them side by side. Then buy the one that speaks to you.

Personally, i like the sound of the 65 better because of the Jensen speaker. There are other differences as well, but I'm not enough of a gearhead to punt them out. I think there's a reason the 65 sells for an extra $100.

MerleJam and viccortes285 like this.
  6. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I think you want the '65 DRRI and then use a pedal for breakup. Speaker choice makes a huge difference. But if you're on the verge of paying full price for one and can score a used silverface Deluxe Reverb for somewhere near that, then you should do it (as @Silverface said).

I had a '65 DRRI for a while and thought it sounded good. Those and the PRRIs are good sounding amps. But now I have a silverface Deluxe Reverb instead, and it's better.

viccortes285 and MerleJam like this.
  7. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

I would prefer to get a vintage but unfortunately I’m limited to purchasing with either AMS or Zzounds because I need their payment options.

jrusto likes this.
  8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I can understand that. But unless there's a pressing need, another option is "paying yourself" into a music fund that's set aside until you have enough for better gear. I did it a few times in my younger days and know other players who have as well. from a long-term financial perspective it works out better as well.

Just a thought -

AlbertaGriff, MerleJam and Wally like this.
  9. Whoa Tele

Whoa Tele Friend of Leo's

Just a PSA but eBay has 24 month @ O % financing thru PayPal credit. It expires tomorrow but this would open up some options for you.

MerleJam likes this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Be different. Go Supro

MerleJam likes this.
  11. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Holic

I have a 68 Custom, and love it to death. Custom channel is killer, and Vintage channel is basically a DRRI. Takes pedals better than the DRRIs I have played. Does breakup better, too. I cant say enough good about it. I gig with it about 8x per month, and the build seems rock solid.

MerleJam likes this.
  12. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I also have the '65 DRRI and love the cleans. It came stock with the Jensen P12Q which I also love, but I'm not gigging anywhere I get to turn it up past 3. The alnico is not as efficient and the bass can get flabby when overdriven hard (if you don't turn the bass down). There are several sub $100 speaker options from eminence and others that will tighten up the bass and give you several more db's of headroom. From what I've read here, the consensus seems to be that the '68s break up sooner than the '65s. Try 'em you'll like 'em

13. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Holic

I have owned all three, but currently have just the Supro Tremoverb. For the past two years, it has become my standard.

MerleJam likes this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 with Silverface...both posts. Deferred gratification pays off in the long run. A SFDR can be modded to yield an even hotter, tweedier channel than what Fender achieved in the ‘68 Sf Custom Amps. IMHO, Fender was ‘light’ in their approach to the changes. I have modded DRRi’s that are much hotter than the ‘68 Customs. The vintage amp is handwired and ime is much more dependable in the long run after it is put into proper operating condtition.

MerleJam likes this.
  15. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm gonna need more power by the end of the year myself, and the 65 DRRI was on the top of my list.

The problem is, I'm also using my AE a lot (that has my synth installed), plus improving my mandolin chops, and those go through my acoustic or keyboard amp. This is for all clean, but I know there's a little 5 or 10 watt valve mother out there with my name on it for easy breakup, although I play mostly clean.

So I'm starting to think that for gigging, my only reasonable solution is miking my amps (Sennheiser E609s) and getting a PA. This will also let me use my smaller Fenders (x2 head and cab, SS Champion 110) at gigging volumes.

16. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

I have added a 77 Princeton into the runnings. I also love the sound in this video of this Exclusive run DRRI with the P12Q. Only problem is the guy used a cabinet with a delegation creamback instead of showing the sound of the speaker that came in the amp he was demoing. https://themix.americanmusical.com/fender-deluxe-reverb-65-reissue-demo/ . So if I went with a DRRI I have no idea what sound the P12q has compared to the c12k. If it’s more farty when overdriven it wouldn’t work for me

17. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

With regard to modern Jensen’s, I have never heard one that I like. Ommv...but, a 2017 TRRI came in yesterday with a small problem. I fixed it and biased the new JJ’s that had been installed trying to eliminate the noise problem...no dice there.
    But....this TRRI has the Jensen C12K in it. I happen to have a 1967 Bassman cab with original C12N’s in it. I did an A/B comparison. The C12K can’t hold a candle to the old C12N. The K is muddy and has little harmonic production...dull sounding. The C12N has a better, firmer low end, better articulation, and has a more musical high end. Why Fender is not using an American made clone of the C12N is beyond me. Eminence builds great speakers to do just that at a very reasonable price. That Jensen label has no bearing on the sound...but I guess that, like the Celestion label, it sells amps.

18. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Holic

'65 DRRI if you like a lot of clean headroom, '68 DRRI if you want more dirt.

MerleJam likes this.
  19. MerleJam

MerleJam Tele-Meister

Well...after much thought I went with the 65 DRRI. I still want a Supro but I figured I would go with something I feel can cover more of the bases that I want covered. If I don’t like the sound after a few months I’ll change the speaker and tubes and see where that goes. Pretty pumped about it. There was a good deal on a SF Princeton but I went with this instead. Thanks for all the advice and input.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.