Help me buying Model Name: '65 Twin Reverb®

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by crcic, Feb 14, 2020.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

How much are old silverface twins going for over there? I would take one of those over any of the reissue blackface models I have heard. And if you want a blackface amp, it can be modded to blackface specs for not too much money. Old silverfaces aren't pcb constructed. It seems to me that those reissue blackfaces have had lots of reliability issues. First one I ever plugged into in a shop went down in less than 2 minutes. And I'm not kidding here. A reissue deluxe did the same thing on the same day. I plugged into the twin, and strummed a few chords. I asked the guy running the shop if I could crank it up. He said sure, and fired up a bass to jam along. Down it went. A spanking new amp. He told me to try the deluxe sitting next to it. Same thing. Cranked it up and down it went. That sent me off reading about many people having issues with those amps, and I decided to stay away from them.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    BobbyZ likes this.
  2. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

So, the dilemma now is between Fender ’68 Custom Princeton® Reverb and blues junior 3. I dont need loud, I want clean and beautiful tone color for home usage. Price is no an issue, but for example, if I buy the Fender ’68 Custom Princeton® Reverb and when I play on 2-3 volume high, and I get the same or equal tone color like the blues junior 3, or if Fender ’68 Custom Princeton® Reverb is for gigs but for home usage there is no difference if I have Fender ’68 Custom Princeton® Reverb or junior 3 etc.... then why paying 400 EUR more. Anyhow, I will wait till Monday and wait for another advice and do some research and on Monday I will buy whichever I choose.

3. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

Hi @crcic,

If you can take a Princeton Reverb over a Blues Junior, do not hesitate only one second : go for the Princeton Reverb if you want that beautiful tone color for home usage.

First, despite its 10" speaker, the PR have a larger and more open cab than the BJ which has a 12". The PR will sound deeper, cleaner and larger no matter. Moreover, there is very good and affordable 10" speakers available in Germany (tubetown.net) if you decide to upgrade one day.

Second, the PR has a long tank, all tube driven spring reverb (4AB3C1B) conversely to the BJ which has a junky small tank driven by a TL072 op-amp chip. The reverb tone of the PR is the one you find on larger classic Fender amps like Twin Reverb, etc... Nothing to do with the awful noise of the BJ reverb, no way !

Here's the tone of my late 70s Silverface Princeton Reverb :

Here's the tone of my late 70s Silverface Deluxe Reverb :

Compared to the Blues Junior, no picture : the Princeton Reverb wins both hands up ! ;)

But it's me, OK ? :D

-tbln

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    gridlock likes this.
  4. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Isn't the famous BJ issue the way the tubes mount the pcb, meaning failure is regular?

5. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

6. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think that particular issue is overstated by the internet echo chamber. I think it’s a relatively reliable amp. It’s just not a very exceptional sounding amp. I bought one new a little under two years ago, and traded it for a used Excelsior straight up a little under a year ago.

A BJ sounds nothing like a blackface/silverface Fender. Mod it all you want, it’s still a mediocre amp.

I think the OP would be very happy with the ‘65 or ‘68 Princeton Reverb. The ‘65 is a little more true to the traditional circuit, but the ‘68 is still more traditional Fender-sounding than the Blues Junior, Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe... any of those amps.

tubelectron likes this.
  7. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If you can afford it, the Princeton is a much better sounding amp (to most people), clean or overdriven, than the Blues Junior. Also, as someone mentioned already, the Princeton’ reverb is considerably better sounding. If you could compare them side by side, you’d understand.

If the extra 400 euros is a major issue, get the BJ. There’s nothing especially wrong with it. It just doesn’t have that classic Fender tone.

tubelectron, gridlock and crcic like this.
  8. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

No, money is not a problem.Monday, and I will buy it. Thank you all for your help!

Hatfield92 likes this.
  9. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

IMHO, you won't regret it, @crcic... ;)

-tbln

10. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Now that you've been advised that Twins are "loud and heavy" and have been told to buy a Princeton instead, let me add my 2 cents:

Buy the Twin. It's an iconic amp, nothing else sounds like it. It's glorious.

jwp2, Piggy Stu, BobbyZ and 1 other person like this.
  11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’ve owned a bunch of Twins, two BF ‘66’s, a drip edge ‘69, and two SF ‘72’s.

All were great sounding amps, especially the the two BF amps and one ‘72 amp that was fully BF modded. As in most amps, speakers make a huge difference in the amp’s tone.

I’ve also played quite a few Twin Reverb RI’s and I’ve also always been impressed with the RI’s tone.

If the OP is looking for the best crystal-clear and glassy cleans, along with lush reverb, then the Twin Reverb is the way to go. Plus buying used, he can always resell, if he wants to go with another amp, without taking a big hit money wise.

FYI, I also owned a ‘68 Custom Princeton Reverb. Great tones at low to medium volumes, but at higher volumes, not as good (probably a speaker swap would have helped). Plus the Reverb on the ‘68CPR was never as good as a Twin’s.

Missing my last ‘66 Twin with original Jensen C12N’s below.

3AD2A8FA-788F-44A7-B0EA-0BF72DE8DBDC.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Blue Bill, crcic, Hatfield92 and 2 others like this.
  12. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Great tone at low to medium as you said, that is what im looking for.

13. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

How about the same Mustang line you have but the 2 or 3. I had the 2 and it sounded really good. The 3 has a stellar reputation for sound too. If you can find one the price would be WELL below the twin (and so would the weight). It would be familiar to you just sound way, way better.

14. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

I totally agree. I’ve got a 93 Reissue that I’ve used regularly with no problems. Now, most blackfaced Fenders can get trebly and mine was no exception. I put a set of Eminence Cannabis Rex speakers in it a few years ago and now the too bright, icepick treble is a thing of the past. They made all the difference and the amp is more musical and functional than with the stock speakers. If you get the Twin, you won’t be sorry.

15. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Thanks for the suggestion but I want tube amp.

BobbyZ and gridlock like this.
  16. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

@jwp2 and @gridlock I totally get your points for the twin, but as I said, I will play the amp. at home only, so honestly, do I really need that big amplifier for home usage.....? I play with backtracks, no band, no gigs, nothing, only me and my computer and my speakers.

17. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

You don’t need an amp that big at all. I’ve also got a Vibro Champ that is great for home use. Of course they both sound different, the twin with all the power and 2 12’s while the VC has only 5 watts and an 8 inch speaker. They both work very well for home use. So it really depends on what you want.
    So, while you don’t “need” a twin for home use, it would be a fine choice and would serve you well imo.

For home use, a Champ would take up a lot less space than a twin while giving you classic fender tones. I believe a Princeton was mentioned above. That would be a great choice as well.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    radiocaster likes this.
  18. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Yes, princenton is my final decision, if nothing comes up in a meantime i will buy it tomorrow

19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Holic

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I'm a Twin Reverb lover but the Princeton Reverb is a real close second. It doesn't make sense but I'll use a Twin Reverb more at home than anything else. Champs and Deluxe Reverbs just sorta suck at home, in my opinion. To the point that I'm almost ready to unload my BFDR like I've done with the Vibro Champs I've had.

jwp2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.