Help me buying Model Name: '65 Twin Reverb®

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by crcic, Feb 14, 2020.

1. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Hi,

I want to buy this amp. http://mimimuzika.com.mk/index.php/...zael/2011-11-30-14-37-31/3263-0217360000.html The price in the shop is approximately 2000 euros. However I guy is selling to me the same model for 1000 euros. The amp. is 5 years old and it still have the original tubes, so I guess soon or later I will need to replace them. The guy is a wedding band member so the amp. is played 3-4 days every week (not counting when he practice etc...) I was at his place and I looked the amp. and on the surface looks like brand new. The sound is also as it should be, but since I have no experience with this good and expense amps. can you tell me or give me any advice what to look/check so that I dont get f***** up. And also, id the price of 1000 euros good for 5 years old and this kind of amp?

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

The main thing I would say about this is how much people try to sell a similar amp as a Twin Reverb, such as the Super Twin, or The Twin, but say it is a TR

A genuine TR retails at about gbp1500 where I live, and there is always a secondhand one for sale somewhere in the UK at prices going down to 500

Half retail price for a used amp is not unusual. Seller might also have lied about how old and used it is

One last thing I would say is pick it up and walk with it before you buy. If your arm rips out of its socket with the weight, you might change your mind

radiocaster, crcic and rolandson like this.
  3. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

For how old is he is not laying, he has a complete documentation with it, the bill when and how much he paid for it, the warranty etc... As for the weight I know it is heavy, but I will use it at home so I will only need to do the heavy lifting once. :) And I think it is original TR, here, I have some pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

They are very loud and very very heavy.

If at all possible you want the amp checked by a trusted technician. Someone you know and trust.

Do not take the seller's word for anything.

Has it been modified? Are the speakers original? Is it really what you want it to be?

Check websites like Reverb.com to see what these are selling for in the states, then do the math. €1000 is a lot of money.

You seem very excited about this one, and I know how that feels. Sometimes that can cloud your judgement. I know, I felt the same way when I decided to buy one almost 30 years ago.

5. Guran

Guran Friend of Leo's

I'm looking at current listings in Sweden. €900-1000 seems to be the asking price here.

6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It it makes no unusual sounds - buzzes, clicks, static, buzzing, farting and the sound is clear it's probably fine. The Normal channel may be slightly louder, that's normal.

Make sure the reverb and tremolo are working well. These things are very low stressed partly because they are so loud. I'd rather get one that's been regularly used because it's more likely to be working properly. Amps that are rarely turned on tend to be noisier IME.

The tubes may last a long time.

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

If you were in the States I'd say look for a silver or even a blackface. You can find blackfaces here for a $1,000 to 1,200 and probably less.
    But then you'd definitely need to have a tech look it over and likely service with a minimum of new electrolytics would be needed.
    But you're not in the States. A 5 year old TRRI shouldn't need anything other than tubes possibly but those can last a long time. As long as nobody's been inside mucking around and it hasn't been tossed around you should be good.

Of course every time Twin Reverbs come up someone has to chime in and remind us they're loud and heavy. Well yeah they certainly can get loud, if they don't they need work. They are 85 watts after all. And heavy? Yeah there's some weight there, that happens when run a quad of 6L6s. But if you like the way they sound it's not that big of a deal. I'll admit I'd be nice if something smaller and lighter that did what a good TR does, it'd be cool but nothing really does. That I've found anyway.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  8. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

I was also looking at Blues Junior™ III at http://mimimuzika.com.mk/index.php/...ael/2011-11-30-14-37-31/246-bluesjunior3.html

Again, if anything helps, I need the amp. for playing at home. I like clean sound. I dont play with band or on gigs, and I also don't have any plans or time to start it. Guitar is only a hobby and relaxation to me.

Also, another problem is that the TR wont be possible to hide from my wife, the junior III will pass it, she won;t even notice it. :)

9. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Used price for that amp on Reverb is mostly in the $550-600 range, with new ranging around $1500. I will let you do the currency conversion. Many folks get a Twin Reverb & find out it is too much amp for the venues they play.

GuitLoop and Alter like this.
  10. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Twin’s sound pretty good at low volumes clean. You need a pedal for overdrive, but that can also sound good with a Twin at low volumes.

A 5 year old amp should be good to go unless it’s been mistreated. A new tube set and servicing would be approximately $150-$200 (U.S.). Maybe offer $800-$900 to allow for servicing.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    BobbyZ likes this.
  11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

If you really like it, no one here can stop you from buying. Its your money anyway. With that said, if you think thats a fair price, you think its a good working amp, with good history, documentation, etc etc then go for it.

however, i thought you will be going out and gig this, which would be okay, BUT you said its just going to be for home use? You might find that this amp will too much of an amp for you. This thing can seriously shake the foundations of your house. You can still play it around 2-3 volume, sound good and probably be okay with the neighbors, however, it will still be loud and youd need some overdrive pedals for those dirty tones as youd have to be in a stadium to crank this one for those drive tones.

the Blues Jr/Pro Jr is also good, loud, all tube and have Fender quality cleans. Its not a twin, but its more volume friendly.

1000 is a lot of money, try to look around for cheaper amps for home use. I do really get you. Its what you want, and nothing will ever compare, buy once, cry once kind of thing, but thing is, consider your use for it, especially if you’re not gonna get the money back from using it

12. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

13. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

OP, a word of caution regarding the Blues Junior: If you’ve fallen in love with the sound of the Twin, you’ll likely never be satisfied with the Blues Junior.

I mean, it’s a perfectly utilitarian amp. There’s nothing wrong with it, per se. But it doesn’t have the same tone and mojo that a blackface (or in your case, reissue blackface) has.

I’d only advise the BJ if money is a major issue, and it’s significantly cheaper.

Tim S, tubelectron and Piggy Stu like this.
  14. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

If there is any way to get a ‘65 Princeton Reverb for the same price you’re willing to pay for the Twin, I’d suggest going with the Princeton instead.

scelestus, radiocaster, Tim S and 3 others like this.
  15. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Don't do this, it is not a good idea, especially when spending around 1000 euro.

Thomann do the Fender 68 Custom Princeton Reverb for around 1150 euro shipped brand new with a three year guarantee in Europe. That might be more suitable for playing at home, but still able to gig should the need ever arise.

crcic likes this.
  16. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

This one? http://mimimuzika.com.mk/index.php/...zael/2011-11-30-14-37-31/2274-2272006000.html It is 150-60 EUR cheaper where I live, if that is the model?

17. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

I would suggest a Deluxe Reverb. Still has the sparkle of a Twin at a more manageable weight,volume and price. Same with the Princeton Reverb, albeit with a 10" speaker. My DR is more than loud enough in the house and is perfect for band use. Like the TR, you'll need a dirt pedal for some overdrive at lower volumes.

18. crcic

crcic TDPRI Member

Too expensive, almost 1700 EUR.

19. INFANT

INFANT Tele-Holic

What about used?

20. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Yes this is the one.

Deluxe Reverb would be nice, but the OP lives in Macedonia, buying a new one is tricky, and used are very few and far between. I did come across a link to a company in eastern europe (Lithuania?) in a recent TDPRI thread producing 18w Marshall heads and DR clones in the 3-500 euro range, so there are options out there.

INFANT likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.