1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help me build my pedal board

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lstdukestking, Nov 3, 2019.

1. lstdukestking

lstdukestking Tele-Meister

So, my current pedal board needs to be upgraded to something bigger. It currently consists of:

Fender Tuning pedal
    Boss DD-3 Delay
    Fulltone Full Drive 2
    Fulltone GT-500 Distortion

These are daisy chained together and plugged into a power strip that is attached to my board for easy set up and take down. That takes up all the room. With some rearranging I may be able to add one more pedal.

I'd like to get a pedalboard big enough to add my wireless system, noise suppressor pedal and probably another overdrive and distortion pedal.

I'm looking for suggestions on what pedals to get to play Bruce Springsteen songs and modern worship music in church.

I'm also looking for an isolated power supply. The two fulltone pedals can run on 9v or 18v. I prefer to run them on 18v. Until recently I was having trouble finding one that would run two 18v pedals. I think this truetone one will do the job.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-12-output-isolated-guitar-pedal-power-supply

So far the only pedalboard I've found that will hold everything (putting the wireless on there really messes with it) is the Pedaltrain Pro. It at least gives me plenty of room to add pedals.

I'll include a link to what I'm working with on Pedal Playground but don't know if it'll work.

https://www.pedalplayground.com/

I forgot I'm using a Crate GX-15

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  2. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

For Springsteen I’d add a compressor or maybe an eq. Which part do you want to play? Stevie, nils or Bruce? Because there’s maybe a chorus and a phaser for some things.

The Oder is put those pedals in is tuner-od-distortion-delay. But that’s up to you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. lstdukestking

The part I want to play? BRUUUUUCE!!!

The order is something I'll need help with as well. Thanks dlew!

Keep the suggestions coming, I need to make a Christmas list, lol.

dlew919 likes this.
  4. lstdukestking

Any other suggestions?

5. Roman4405

Roman4405 Tele-Meister

For worship stuff you’re probably gonna want a reverb, I use mine all the time. Another delay also maybe. I’m not sure how big your wireless system is but I can fit everything I need on a PT Jr.

4pickupguy likes this.
  6. dlew919

dlew919 Doctor of Teleocity

7. johnniegoat

johnniegoat Tele-Meister

for your PSU have a look at the MXR Iso Brick

it has 2 dedicated 18v outputs; it also has 2 variable outputs that can do 5-12v, which can be fun for fuzzes as well as giving a little more headroom to some pedals

i'd agree with an EQ, reverb and compressor as well

compressor - if you can get a Keeley 2nd hand at a decent price, snap it up. i have a 2 knob model and it is amazing

reverb - love my Fender Mirror, but the TC HOF with its toneprint is a load more flexible

eq - GE7 is a no brainer, although i use a mooer 5 band; its not as flexible and not as high quality. however its a lot smaller and it does the job

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Just a thought. If you go with one of the Temple Audio pedal boards you could mount your power supply underneath it. I have a power strip, Gigrig power supply and a 19” midi loop switcher rack unit mounted under mine.
    00B7BC1C-DA1F-4AA3-980F-0DA68ADFD419.jpeg

Tim T and Roman4405 like this.
  9. lstdukestking

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Currently I'm hoping Santa brings me a Pedal train Classic Pro, Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor, and a Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer. I was looking at the Truetone CS-12 power supply but i'll look at the MXR that was suggested above. And of course more cables.

I'll probably add another distortion and/or overdrive pedal eventually as well.

I'm actually pretty happy with the way I'm sounding currently. I'm using my old Crate GX-15 with the speaker out and it makes a huge difference.

10. lstdukestking

I was going to post a picture update but my e-mail is being stupid...

11. lstdukestking

Here's the current setup:

Attached Files:

12. lstdukestking

In my quest for a power supply, I realized I also need it to power my wireless system. This led me to the Voodoo Labs 2 Plus:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...s-8-output-isolated-guitar-pedal-power-supply

I just need someone with more experience to confirm for me that this will run my board. I think it will.

I'll post below the information I have.

Wireless system:

Audio-Technica ATW-R73: AC120V 60Hz 9W

Current Pedals:

Fender PT-100: 9V ???mA
    Boss NS-2: 9V 20 mA
    Boss OD-2: 9V 12 mA
    Fulltone Full-Drive 2 Mosfet: 18V ???mA
    Boss DS-1: 9V 20mA
    Fulltone GT-500: 18V 14 mA
    Boss DD-3: 9V 35 mA

Future Pedals:

Boss BF-3: 9V 40 mA

I should have room for about two more pedals. Just not sure what they will be, or if I even add more.

I also realize I don't have all the information. Still looking to find it somewhere.

I can't wait to have an isolated power supply and to finally run my Fulltone pedals at 18V.

13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

I use this, and it works great. I play in church too and don't want to spend a small fortune on stuff that isn't any fun, like power supplies.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DL6W0W/?tag=tdpri-20

I will say, against the prevailing wisdom of guitarists everywhere, don't seek a solution to a problem you don't have. If the daisy chain works fine (mine always did) then you don't really need an isolated power supply. Another thing that would be nice to have in your first aid kit, just in case, would be a few of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TWWFTW3/?tag=tdpri-20

If for some reason you do encounter noise problems with a pedal (even if you have isolated power) these could give you the ability on the fly to really isolate the problem child. If you play in church then you probably don't have a ton of time to setup and go, and one thing you can count on is the unexpected, and always moments before you are supposed to start.

Everyone loves Voodoo Lab power supplies so I'm sure it will be fine. Though I don't know what to tell you about getting 18 volts of it. Are the first several 9v sockets also capable of 12v? Is that what they are saying? The Truetone would work. Both are expensive, but if that's what you need.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  14. lstdukestking

The daisy chain works...for now. I anticipate problems in the future. Such as the power strip is coming off of the board itself. Not a major problem, but not something I want to fix all the time. If I don't change something, I'll have to get a second daisy chain. Wall warts also have a way of getting their wires frayed and needing replaced. I'm hoping to avoid that with an isolated power supply.

15. lstdukestking

In addition to adding a flanger pedal I have decided to add a reverb pedal.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.