1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HELP ME, BROTHERS

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Piggy Stu, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

I bought an unbranded 'non working' guitar to pass the time. The ad said it had no electrics in it, so obviously I was very puzzled to receive a working guitar full of connected pickups and switches

It isn't especially exciting, so I am thinking of moving it on, but before I did I wondered if any of you lot could identify it? It makes me think of Teisco guitars I have seen, but I don't want to use that word unless confident it is likely correct. The wiring reminds me of 1950s Japan or 1960s East Germany

Attached Files:

2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

A full shot might help

koen, Torren61, gkterry and 7 others like this.
  3. Piggy Stu

I took it all to bits - I never thought of that:lol::lol::lol:

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

It looks like a Teisco/Harmony type guitar but, as noted, it's hard to tell without seeing the whole thing. They can often be great slide guitars if you can get them in good working order.

smoothrecluse and Piggy Stu like this.
  5. Piggy Stu

IMG_20210116_130159308.jpg IMG_20210116_130437405.jpg

1955, nojazzhere and elihu like this.
  6. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

Looks like a couple Teisco's I've had in many ways (Tuners, neck, truss rod adjustment). I have an old green tulip, it's one of my "Keepers".

I wish that guitar was mine.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Teisco ... but there are mods.
    Common Teisco neck heel (corner notches, protruding barrel truss rod wheel).

That wiring is not original. Original is so thin you'd expect it to break looking at it. Switch is modern, originals would have been slider(s).

Trem looks like it is rotated 180 deg from where it is supposed to be mounted, or at least the arm mount is backward, like a lefty bridge on a righty guitar.

Custom thick pickguard replaced the original thin one/metal one that was probably broken.

Bridge/saddles are added, original would have been a bent metal upside-down 'V' shaped strip. These allow intonation.

Looks like the neck was re-fretted and bound (binding appears new, perhaps just in great condition).

The Teisco Tulip I reworked couldn't play in tune because someone put a modern nut on it instead of using the zero-fret/nut that is was originally built with. I refretted with stainless steel frets and put it back to a zero fret system so it could play in tune. So check what the nut is on there as it should rely on the zero-fret for tuning and the nut acts only like a comb to keep the strings aligned.

Neck was stripped of finish and logos, body repainted, perhaps stripped as well before repainting. Those guitars were often sunburst style. Color on yours looks like a 'modern' shade (looks nice).

The guitar could be improved quite a bit with some attention (often fretwork for playability and electronics). The Tulip I have was wired with two switches and set up so that when both pickups were 'on' they were in series not parallel - for a big meaty tone I didn't expect from such a light weight guitar (5.5lbs).

Often those guitars are bought with the intention of selling the valuable 'gold foil'-era pickups, which is sad, blame it on Ry Cooder's Cooder-Caster. These old guitars can be improved and turned into players themselves. Some guitar players love the quirkiness of this type of guitar and gather inspiration from it. Jack White commented before about using some of his old guitars and some of this style because they made him work at playing and that caused him to come up with more creative music.

(there is a preceding two-part series on the guitar repairs, and several other similar guitars TS bought, so check out his channel)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  8. Piggy Stu

Cheers for such a comprehensive reply!

9. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

Being Japanese, it should be of good quality build. I think it is very cool. It would be probably be swooped up by a teen who is into alt-rock and wants to start a band, purposely snubbing the big name guitar manufacturers. Just view your guitar differently ....... like it is a 40s thru early 60s Japan art deco statement to the guitar world. Kind of a tribute to a bygone Japanese era, where Godzilla fascinated us American teens. I would use it as wall art in your guitar collection. :D

10. Piggy Stu

I appreciate the sentiment, but I have too many already, so will sell it on once I got it playing right

Interestingly, I took the term off to put it on the right way round, as noted by someone above, and it doesn't have screw holes that are reversible: it was fitted this way at the factory

Will try to add pictures lest I didn't explain this well

11. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

There are so many Japanese brands it's hard to nail it down. I like it, though.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  12. DeepDangler

DeepDangler Tele-Meister

If you don’t like it, sell it as is unless you think you can profit off of the work your going to put in.

13. Piggy Stu

I just like spending time getting things right

I won't be doing anything invasive. Cleaning and set up

14. Piggy Stu

IMG_20210116_163838563.jpg wonky screwholes won't take it reversed

15. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

I don't know anything about them but certainly looks like it could be a fun guitar once you put it back together.

Piggy Stu likes this.
  16. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

There’s no such thing as, “too many”. You should fix that up and keep it. That’s a cool guitar. :D

KirbyBarba likes this.
  17. Piggy Stu

I probably buy 10 guitars a year. I would have no room if I kept them all. I think I can survive with about 15 and set the rest free

Steerforth likes this.
  18. Piggy Stu

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.