Help make my Dad's Tele complete!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Professorbx, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

Did he swap the neck out himself? Or is there some other means by which he knows without a doubt that the neck was swapped out? Fender has a long history of neck/body date mismatches coming from the factory, especially back in the old days. Admittedly 3 years is a long time for that neck to have sat in the shop on a shelf, but it doesn't strike me as outside the realm of possibility.

2. Professorbx

Professorbx TDPRI Member

He didn't swap the neck himself, but the seller admitted when he sold it that he made the neck swap. Apparently the original neck was warped so he made a Frankenstein.

I'm really looking forward to restoring the guitar. It is going to be pretty extensive, removing and cleaning the parts, fixing an issue with the bridge (the pickup is strangly slanted forward, and doesn't want to seem to shift), etc. We are going to try to take it back to as close to factory as possible.

Yea, I'm pretty lucky to have a dad that actually is as much of a gear nut as me. When my band was on tour last year and stopped in Iowa, he commented that my Wah sucked, and gave me his 1971 Italian Vox 846. Now THAT is the kind of family member that every guitarist should have!

3. Teleblooz

Teleblooz Tele-Afflicted

You are both very lucky people.

4. podboy3

podboy3 Tele-Afflicted

Very cool getting that neck... A lot of people will never understand but being a vintage/antique car person I definitely get it.... I have a 66 Mustang and even though a tail light lens off of a 64 1/2 or 65 is exactly the same it would still bug me having one that came off an earlier car or some other piece that came off a 67; it is just the point in having the correct one.

It is just a mental thing really, but sometimes those little mental hiccups are a big deal.

.... Also, I and I bet quite a few others on here wish they had that guitar so they could go through the same metal trauma as your dad.

5. 64Strat

64Strat Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

You've received some good advice from fws6. I own a fair amount of vintage stuff myself. So, here are my thoughts on how to do this right....

Two things.... if you are serious about finding a correct '69 neck, start by going to as many of the big vintage guitar shows as you can. Ask every reputable dealer if they have or know where a correct neck can be located. Short of going to vintage shows, Call the reputable dealers like Jay Rosen or Rumble Seat Music, for example. Get some issues of Vintage Guitar magazine and check the classifieds. Print up a sheet of exactly what neck you are looking for, iirc, in '69 they still were using Month/Year ink stamped identification, hand it out to the dealers you meet with your contact info on it or send it to them by snail mail after you speak with them on the phone. So, this means you need to date code the pots to get the correct range of months that can be stamped on the neck you acquire to be correct with your dad's guitar. Secondly, I almost fell off my chair when I read in your post above that you are going to "restore" the guitar back to factory condition. Three words..... DON'T DO IT! Leave the corrosion on the parts, don't unsolder anything, leave the bridge pickup alone.

Lastly, be patient. Sometimes it can take quite a while to find exactly the right thing. The good news is that right now is a good time to be looking and acquiring this stuff.

Good luck!

6. fws6

fws6 TDPRI Member

I disagree, or at least in relation to this guitar. There is a basis of truth in your story, as you say in the old days (i.e. 50s) Tele's and Strat's with parts that are mismatching. At that time Fender might make a lot of neck plates, get a stack of pots etc and use em up over time, often not in chronological order. Hence mismatching numbers and parts occur regularly. But that was in the 50s.

In 69 Fender/CBS was a booming factory shipping 30,000 guitars. There were no necks just lying around in the factory for 3 years at that time anymore. You see a lot of ebay auctions trying to sell mismatched guitars with similar stories, those are just trying to sell of parts guitars as originals.

Yes - this is the best advice !!! You can unscrew all parts to restore broken springs etc ("the pickup is strangly slanted forward, and doesn't want to seem to shift") but dont unsolder or mess with the paint.

7. Professorbx

Professorbx TDPRI Member

Oh, didn't mean putting a spit shine to anything or de-soldering anything. Meant making it so the bridge pickup could be adjusted again and giving the pots a quick cleaning as the volume pot is a little finneky with age. Just basics, half the charm is how much life it looks like it has lived!

8. slack

slack Friend of Leo's

Restoring the guitar with an authentic 69 neck (or late 68 neck if appropriate) is sensible. It's also probably going to lead to more enjoyment and a better relationship with the instrument, too (a lot of our interest in Teles is emotional, after all). You're also adding value to the guitar by making it "whole."

That said, be aware that you can have six authentic 69 necks in the room with that body and only one or two may even fit in the neck pocket, or fit well. You may also find that one neck sounds great and another makes the guitar a dud. Never mind profile and feel (you can have a 69 neck that is .82 deep at the 1st fret and a shallow C or one that is a real handful). Fender didn't alter necks to fit bodies, they altered the neck pocket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.