Help make my Dad's Tele complete!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Professorbx, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Professorbx

Professorbx TDPRI Member

Hey everyone,

My dad's number 1 is a 1969 Tele Thinline. It is absolutely beautiful, safe for the fact that the neck was replaced at one point with a '72. It has always been a sore spot for him, and he always talks about getting an original neck. That said, he doesn't know where to look. So, any leads/directions to look?

2. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

If its a real 69 and not a reissue like your message seems to convey its gonna cost alot to get a vintage neck. Could be in the $1000-2000 range.

3. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Someone may have one parted out on Ebay, but I feel that's an awfully risky way to go about getting vintage gear. You may look for vintage guitar dealers around the web?

4. Professorbx

Professorbx TDPRI Member

Yea, it is an original. Purchased in the late 70's used. Cost isn't the issue, the main thing is that I want to be able to suggest a place to him that will actually sell him a neck that is not a downgrade from what he has as far as playability is concerned.

5. Mark Davis

The problem is he could spend lots of $$ on a vintage correct neck and it might not play as good as his original or the 72 thats on there it might need a fret job or could be twisted.

If $$ is no object just buy another 69 thats a complete guitar this way you can test the neck be sure its good and put it on your dads and put his 72 neck on the 69 you bought and sell it.

6. Mark Davis

7. scubadoo

scubadoo Tele-Afflicted

Is it really worth spending $$$ just to have a neck that is 3 years older? Seems a bit excessive to me. Are there actually any problems with the one that's there at the moment?

If it was me, i'd just play the thing real hard for three years and then it'd be the same age as...no wait...;)

8. Tele Joe

Tele Joe Tele-Meister

http://www.fender.com/dealerfinder/

Here is a link to Fenders dealer website. I would start by contacting some of the smaller high end dealers and see what you can find. If you get a decent person on the phone they will at least be able to give you some direction on where to look. Other then auction sites and the like i'd maybe suggest asking your luthier where you can find one. If anyone will know i'd guess it's one of those guys.

9. telemania

telemania Tele-Meister

for the right antiques dealer, that is someone who deals in a fair amount of vintage fender gear, you might be able to arrange a swap... trade the '72 and pay for the difference for the '69... i would be wary of doing this any other way than face to face though... even that '72 neck is worth a fair piece

10. Mark Davis

The problerm I see buying a 40 year old neck off a guitar is there is no way you can really tell if its gonna be straight or even if the truss rod works.

Your taking a big chance Id think cause most of the vintage stuff is bought as is because of the age there is no warranty.

If you could get someone to sell you a 69 neck with a 100% refund for any reason no questions asked then that would be the way to do it.

11. steve s

steve s Tele-Meister

Why don't you get a guitar tech/refinisher to get you a period correct neck ffrom Warmoth, and have him relic it up a bit to match the guitar body. Ther are several of those cats around here that would do an outstanding job.
    Probably cost ya $400-$500. Dad would never know the difference if you don't tell him.:eek:

12. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

doesn't see like it would make a lot of difference unless you got THE actual neck that was originally on that guitar.

13. telechaser

telechaser Tele-Afflicted

What about getting a reissue and relicing (is this the right term?) it? I'm pretty sure there are some Luthiers around that can relic a neck to 69 specs.

14. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

Since we're talking about his number one player,it would be money better spent on a high end aftermarket licensed neck as opposed to taking too much of a chance with somebody's so-called "original" vintage neck.

:cool:

15. fws6

fws6 TDPRI Member

In all honesty I disagree a bit with a couple of posts above. IMO don't go for a reissue or repro neck. You might be happy for a while, but in the end you will be looking for an original neck again. If you do it, dont take a shortcut, but do it right.

If it is a 69 guitar it should have a 69 neck. Necks pop up on ebay quite often, here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1969-Vintage-Fender-Telecaster-Neck-Rare-Mint-1960s-USA_W0QQitemZ370218774957

If you dont want that one, just set up a favorite search and wait. Any decent seller will be able to tell you if it is straight, and if the trussrod works (and if not give you the possibility to return).

There is no difference in a 69 neck for a standard or thinline tele (the thinline name did not appear in 69 yet). So any real 69 neck will do. A nice one will costs you 1000+, but it will also increase the guitar's value by the same amount so no harm done. Besides, if you have the period correct neck you can sell off the 72 neck so you'll end up quite OK.

I have a 69 thinline too, did not like the maple neck, so i bought a 69 rosewood neck and have been playing it like that ever since. Wonderful guitar, sounds great, plays super easy, and the low weight is fantastic.

(BTW I am keeping my maple neck though, in case I ever sell would the guitar (not likely at this point:cool:) I 'd want to make it original again. )

Good luck !!!

[​IMG]

16. Professorbx

Professorbx TDPRI Member

Thank you so much for all of your replies. This is frankly more support than I could have ever asked for. I'm kind of blown away by what good a condition that Ebay neck is-wish I could see it in person first...

17. fws6

fws6 TDPRI Member

>wish I could see it in person first...

But finding a perfect neck like that locally will be a very hard job...

I'd say, just email this seller and ask if the neck is not warped and that the trussrod works. If you dont get a satisfying answer, make sure you agree on a 48 hr inspection period. That way, the only thing you can loose is some shipping expenses. Stress that you will not use this return for any other reason than the neck being structurally bad (from the pics it looks very nice but you never know).

If you are serious about buying it, and your offer is good, I am sure he will accept. The (vintage) guitar market is very slow because of the economy, making the customer is king right now. If the guy is eager to sell he should be willing to consider your concerns too. If not, there will be others.... The 69telecaster is not a very rare guitar afterall.

18. Professorbx

Professorbx TDPRI Member

Hey,

Just wanted to thank you all for the advice. My dad ended up jumping on the Ebay neck, and it should be showing up pretty soon. My dad is really excited. We are going to make a cool father/son project out of complete restoration this summer! Thanks again!

19. telesges125tc

telesges125tc TDPRI Member

Professorbx...Nice 2 hear that you and your Dad get along that way with music especially.. good luck with all that, glad for the good news...

20. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Exactly what was going through my mind too....

Seems odd to be so keen to find a neck that is only three years older than the one you have, but hey - if you're happy to spend a grand on the 69 neck on eBay, that's cool.....:cool:

Maybe your old man could recoup some (if not all) of the money by selling his 72 neck?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.