1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HELP! Katana VS Tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by KrenarCilku, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Go to Guitar Center and play every tube amp in your price and power ranges. Then buy the one you like. Play it for a month and decide whether you want to keep one or both.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  2. Collin D Plonker

Don't fall off the stage with your eyes shut and all. Just kidding.

3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

You sound just fine!

(I just got a blue Harley Benton DC LP Jr. and I play at home through a Cube 01.)

beagle and KrenarCilku like this.
  4. Collin D Plonker

Security... Another one!

KrenarCilku likes this.
  5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

^ Wise words.
    I would go to a shop or ten and try everything in sight—Fender, Marshall, Mesa Boogie, Orange, Supro...and try both tube and solid-state amps—you might find that you don’t like tube amps, or they don’t work for you.

I was fortunate to find “my” amp (a tube amp) 28 years ago—but I still check out other offerings here and there.

...and it’s pretty much guaranteed that whatever you get will not be as versatile as your Katana—it has as many options as the laws of physics and electronics allow.

Be realistic in your expectations, and you’ll probably find something you like, or even love.

EDIT:
    Love your playing, by the way—that’s a sweet guitar and you have a nice tone. I’d go listen to a band with you as a featured player...

6. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

That sounded good.

That’s all that matters.

The amount of time and stress expended chasing imperceptible improvements in “tone” is energy I would rather invest in practicing, writing, recording, or performing.

But I’m a gear burnout case so don’t mistake my opinion for wisdom.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  7. Fmalitz

Fmalitz TDPRI Member

Sometimes if the song is a long solo kind of like the Stevie Ray Vaughan tin pan alley thing, and I’m just swaying back-and-forth lost in the music. When I open my eyes I’m shocked to see an audience. It’s a rare occurrence but I love it. Please understand that I never copy another persons art and I never played the same thing twice. The state of mind and mood has a direct influence and the nature of my expression. This is what the blues are supposed to be about. Chicago blues, not English blues. Not even blues rock. I love it all but my hearts in Chicago.

8. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

If you have an amp that you like, keep it.
    I have the opposite problem: always had an assortment of tube amps, varying sizes, to accommodate stages and venues of different sizes.
    Now I want a modern modelling amp for trouble free convenience.
    I will take what I have read in this thread as a recommendation for the Katana.
    But, yeah, get you a tube amp. You'll dig it.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  9. momo333

momo333 NEW MEMBER!

I love the smell of hot tubes & sound while playing but I also love the versatility of my digital rig. I have heard Katana's and they sound very good.

Bobbyoso and KrenarCilku like this.
  10. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Thank you for the kind words my friend, highly appreciated! Comments like this inspire me to play more and more! Cheers!

beagle likes this.
  11. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

I want to take a second and thank all of you for all of your replies!

The maturity and knowledge in this thread is remarkable, I've read all the comments carefully and have decided to hold on to the Katana, try as many tube amps as I can and ultimately and hopefully find the right tube amp for me... If I end up pulling the trigger, I will make a youtube video and share it with you guys.. Last but not least, I would like to thank all of you that have complimented my playing, I really really appreciate that, it means the world to me!

With all that being said, please do continue to write your opinions and share everything you have!

Thanks again

Cheers!

12. Mr Perch

Mr Perch Tele-Afflicted

With all due respect, the Katana sounds like a cheap imitation of tube breakup/overdrive. The real thing sounds better. You owe it to yourself to try it.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I'm 75 and until I recently got a Katana head I played nothing but tube amps since I started out back in the 60". My take on it is this.

TUBE AMPS
    1. More expensive
    2. Heavier
    3. More maintenance
    4. Limited versatility without pedals
    5. Tone. How much do you want to spend?

Katana
    1. Less expensive
    2. Lighter
    3. Low maintenance
    4. Super versatile/no need for expensive pedals
    5. Tone. Your ears, your decision but I will say that what you played there sounds as good as any tube amps I've got and I've god some good ones.

14. 100LL

100LL Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

There's just something about tubes. They give personality, a warmth, a character. They change depending on how they're driven.

And then there's the distortion...try as you will to model that digitally, but it just isn't the same.

kind of like fake boobs vs. real

KrenarCilku likes this.
  15. JunebugJones

JunebugJones TDPRI Member

I’ve found that it takes just as much time and care to find the perfect-sounding amp as the perfect-sounding and playing guitar. After 25 years of playing a bunch of different tube and SS amps, I’ve finally found the perfect tone match for my Strats with an old Fender Vibro-Champ tube amp for at-home and recording... and a Fender Twin for gigging.

I know the Vibro Champ is my perfect amp because it calls to me to play. Its warm, tube tone is magical (to me, anyway).

The drag is that tube amps are more delicate than SS, so I worry every time I take either amp out of the house that something might happen to the tubes. Getting amp maintenance and repair done is no fun.

Seriously, if I ever find an SS amp that calls to me even close to as much as the Vibro Champ does, I will nab it in a heartbeat.

Just like a great guitar will inspire you to play for hours ... and will seem to magically spill beautiful songs out of it, your perfect amp will do the same. When you find that perfect combination, you’ll know.

Like many have said here, going in to guitar shops and playing through a bunch of different amps is how you’ll know. I found the Vibro Champ at my fave instrument store one day when I walked in thinking I wanted a different amp. I’d done a bunch of YouTube research and thought from the videos that that amp would be perfect, but I walked out with the Vibro Champ instead. The lesson for me was that YouTube and reviews are helpful, but that nothing beats actually getting your hands on something and see how it sings to you.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  16. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

When I was younger I mostly played guitars with HB pickups and used Solid State amps with pedals. I didn't care much for the tone I was getting from single coil pickups and didn't want to have any issues from tube amps that everyone was talking about like the weight and troubles with tubes.

All that being said, solid state amps can have issues too nowadays.

Fast forward years later I got a tube amp and was floored by the tone coming from it. It did need some work to it being a vintage amp, but the tone is awesome. I really love the tone I'm getting from single coil pickups on the tube amps. All my influences were guys playing single coil pickups through tube amps which is why I couldn't get that tone I wanted and went to HB pickups. Now both types are enjoyable.

I bought my Katana mostly for the effects and price with an amp attached that can emulate a tube tone, but emulation and reality can be close to far away from what you want. I have a couple solid state amps and I have a couple old tube amps and I intend to keep all of them. It's good to have variety.

telemnemonics and KrenarCilku like this.
  17. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Why settle for a hamburger...

4165368D-5ACA-4A42-8D74-478DCCFF8D08.jpeg

when you can have steak?

811C8490-9C89-4A97-8BEB-8DDD587312DD.jpeg

KrenarCilku likes this.
  18. Mikesk

Mikesk TDPRI Member

Stick with what you have, don't get wrapped up in the tone chase, you already have it in you.
    just PLAY

19. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

Playing “in the zone” is an experience we all enjoy. The players you admire can find the zone regardless of gear.

20. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

I own a Katana 50 and a "65 PRRI. Also a behringer keyboard amp. I have changed from "chasing my tone" to finding the best I can get out of what I have. Make it happen.

beagle, The Angle, Frodebro and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.