1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HELP! Katana VS Tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by KrenarCilku, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Twang-ineer

Twang-ineer Tele-Meister

Your question:
    "Do you guys think I would benefit from getting a tube amp?" is possibly better phrased as "do you all think that spending the money and investing the time in learning to use a tube amp will benefit me and my musical goals" ... the answer is likely no. Your time, money and energy will always be better spent on education and grinding on basic technique.

But that statement is true for all of us, no matter how many decades we have been at it.

Now would I say that getting and learning to use a tube amp would be fun? Heck yeah! Get a little 4 wat Vox with a 10 inch speaker and dime that bad boy to get a thrill that you wont forget! But the only way it makes you a better player is by inspiring you to plug back into that Katana, put on some headphones, set the metronome to 85BPM and run scales across the neck, going through the modes, the pentatonics, and around the circle of 5ths..... yeah.... its all just math and repetition.

That is what makes you a dramatically better guitarist.

The Angle, Bobbyoso and KrenarCilku like this.
  2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

In the simplest of terms, NO.

The BOSS Katana 50 is one of several other small, solid state combo amps that has earned the right to be considered "toneworthy".

As displayed in your demo, your guitar tone is very dynamic and expressive.

I wouldn't change a thing. ;)

beagle and KrenarCilku like this.
  3. fofomomo

fofomomo TDPRI Member

Hey slightly off topic but is the Katana signal path all-analog if you turn off the effects and go for the clean channel or does it go through digital/analog converters anyway?

KrenarCilku likes this.
  4. Javier668

Javier668 Tele-Meister

If you play the same in a fender tube amp with a tube reverb unit you will see the difference in the first second.

Mike Simpson, KrenarCilku and goodguy like this.
  5. goodguy

goodguy TDPRI Member

Katana will get you 80% of the way to a tube amp -but- that last 20% is where the magic lies.
    Face it... you already have a tube amp in your mental shopping cart... just click check out & enjoy. :)

6. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Tele-Afflicted

First of all, you sound great on your Katana. Sadly, we all come to realize that no matter how much gear we buy, we always end up sounding like ourselves.

What's your situation? Do you play in a band? If so, does your Katana get the job done and sound good? If so, I'd say save your money. You'll still sound like you.

I don't know if Katanas work in live situations like tube amps do.

I have a Boss Katana mini that I LOVE for noodling at home. In fact, I've been thinking about selling my AC30 for a bigger Katana. I never get to use the AC30 as it should be used. It basically collects dust in my music room.

Then again, it's always fun to get new gear but I'll come back to the fact that you'll still sound like you. LOL.

7. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub TDPRI Member

Hilarious!!!!

swervinbob likes this.
  8. Gabeezlebub

Gabeezlebub TDPRI Member

I have been following TDPRI and a few other guitar sources for a few years, and this has got to be the best reply that I have ever seen, by far!!!!! I am keeping a copy of it just to refer back to time to time!!! Thanks swervinbob!

swervinbob and KrenarCilku like this.
  9. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

I would love to play in a band but I've moved to Austria recently and haven't had any luck finding a band, I hope I do sooner rather than later and try out the Katana in a band mix, thank you for the reply!

10. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

I think preamps and eq's are analog but I might be wrong, I know that the power section is Class A/B tho..

11. Matt Laird

Matt Laird Tele-Meister

I have a 59 USRI Bassman, a 79 Pro Reverb and a Custom Hand Wired 40W 2x12 on the tweed vibrolux circuit, then I have a Kantana Artist. I played through Boogies for 20 years. And I had a couple of the Roland Cubes, A Super Champ XL. I have played through the Hughes and Kettner Attaxs 200, Roland JC120, and I have tried out every kind of modeling amp you can think of, except a Kemper. So I have a bit of experience with tube, hybrid tube modeling and modeling. The Katana Artist is a great amp, it is not too difficult to use, but it can be a pain to dial in a good tone. Once you find your personal settings then I think it is fine. I use it to practice and play around the house. But for gigging... I prefer the simpler is better approach. I stick to a tube amp and one back up. If I had to, I could use it to gig but I know I would not like it. There are modeling varieties that I know people gig with and they love them. Their tone is good.

I just run home to Mama and stick to what I know.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  12. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

Nice playing! Very cool chops! I think that if you can afford going with tubes, you would not regret it. You would need to first figure out if you want a two or three channel modern sounding amp vs. getting a more vintage inspired amp, and then adding pedals to the mix. I have been playing seriously for 27 years. I too started with a solid state amp. I never regretted going with a tube amp. They really are so much more touch sensitive, responsive, and cool in general. There are some great modeling amps out these days, like yours. The best thing to do, is to go out to some stores and try as many as you can. Also, try some friend's tube amps. You will get a good idea of what you like better, and what type of tube amp best fits your playing style. Good luck.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  13. Jlwctn

Jlwctn Tele-Meister

You have a nice touch. If you are familiar with your Katana, and are comfortable with it and get around on it well, don't be in a hurry to trade it. If you find a tube amp that you like, buy it outright, but if you trade your Katana, you'll miss that sound.

KrenarCilku, GrantR and JL_LI like this.
  14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

OP, you nailed it. You have never played a tube amp.

Go do that, and I believe you'll have your answer.

I think most tube amps sound a lot better than the Katana, but you may feel different. Won't know until you try both.

Try a Fender Deluxe Reverb...

KrenarCilku likes this.
  15. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Having been on this earth 70 years I can tell you for certain, it has nothing to do with the gear. If you like your Katana, GREAT! I found a tube amp that's great for me. It was an arduous search. And that's a good thing. If you've outgrown your Katana, and that's the only reason to look for something else, start your search. Bring your #1 guitar with you and try as many amps as you can. Play the amp on the open floor and try it in a smaller room like the Platinum room at GC. Don't buy good. Don't buy until you find the amp that has what you want. Everyone here has an opinion, tube or SS. I deliberately left my opinion out of this post because the only opinion that counts is yours. But you have to understand that it has nothing to do with the gear. You'll be the same guitarist with a new amp as you were with the old one. That said, tubes, what can they do for you? A tube amp will be more touch sensitive. You can dig in for break up without pedals. They also restrict the range of volumes where you can get a clean crisp sound. There are trade offs. Happy hunting.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  16. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

For years I used a Digitech processor into a clean solid state amp or occasionally the PA.

Then i decided (correctly I'll add) that i couldn't get the sound I wanted at the time through that processor and went down a tube amp rat hole.

Since then I've acquired an Egnater Tweaker 40, which is super versatile for a variety of Fender and Marshall tones but only sounds GREAT at volumes louder than i can often play.

And a Mesa TA-15, which is also versatile for clean Vox and Fender BF sounds, plus Mesa cleans. But the Marshall sound is too muddy. And the Mesa sound gets too dirty pretty fast too.

And a Fender EC Custom Vibrochamp. 5 watts of pure Tweed glory, with trem and a built in attenuator so it can roar at very low volume.

I've also picked up a Tech 21 Blonde amp simulator, which does a nice Fender Deluxe sound plugged into the board. And a couple weeks ago I heard a guy who sounded GREAT playing through an Iridium straight into the board.

So, am I headed back to amp simulator/digital processor land? I don't know yet. Maybe I'll live in both worlds. As long as I'm just playing at home, the Champ is great.

17. kennl

kennl Tele-Afflicted

benefit from a tube amp acquisition?
    how?

play cooler licks? no
    get more gigs? no
    make more money? no
    become a better human being? no
    impress the groupies? no
    impress your neighbors? no
    impress other guitarists? only those who want to, but cannot, obtain a tube amp - for unknown reasons ? maybe

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Frodebro, The Angle, Bobbyoso and 3 others like this.
  18. Fmalitz

Fmalitz TDPRI Member

Your amplifier has a good reputation. It’s known to emulate a tube tone to a great degree. Stay away from anything called a tube screamer. None of them sound remotely like a tube amp.

But let’s say you were playing through something like a super reverb or even a deluxe reverb, it would actually be cleaner until you started to push it. When you push it the overdrive is a bit creamier and a little less fuzzy. At the level that you’re playing at, I wouldn’t spend a penny. Your technique is good and that gives you good tone. Stick with what you have.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  19. Fmalitz

Fmalitz TDPRI Member

When I’m in the zone playing through a great tube amp, I forget what I’m doing. My eyes are shut tight and the music is flowing from my heart. Only a tube amplifier pushed hard gives me that type of feeling. But then again, I’m a Chicago style blues musician so I guess I’m different than the rest of you guys.We only play Gibsons And fenders and plug directly into a fender amplifier with no processing. Occasionally, a clean overdrive with just a little bit of grit is permissible.

20. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted

"be inspired by your tone" is missing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.