1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HELP! Katana VS Tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by KrenarCilku, Jul 27, 2020.

1. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

I really don't know that lol... Check out my video, I even have more videos on my channel and let me know if I'm worthy of the mighty tube lol do me a solid!

2. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Sorry dude, you sound like my computer speakers!

I have more than 20 tube amps, and they are not a type of sound, so you need to look for the type of sound you want as much as the components inside the box.
    Not sure what you should look for but I'd try Vox, Orange, maybe 18w Marshall variants like the Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister, maybe Laney, Peavey Classic, Tweed Fenders that are actually Tweed circuits as opposed to BF circuits with tweed covering.
    Look for Fender Pro Jr too.

I'd say a low wattage inefficient speaker rather than a modern high power handling speaker would also be part of a tube amp recipe targeting the sound you dialed in on the Kt.

You could probably make a DRRI or a PRRI sound like that with pedals, but those popular tube amps are less designed for the sound you seem to want than more British and Tweed circuits.

Fender "Tweeds" that are not actually Tweeds include the tweed covered PRRI and Blues Jr.

Frodebro and KrenarCilku like this.
  3. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

What you really have to ask yourself is do your family and/or neighbours like loud guitar? With a valve amp there's no way around it. To hit the sweet spot they are loud, even my old 12 watt Princeton. It's not practical in apartments, houses or even most venues these days.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  4. telemnemonics

Whenever I read these comments about amps being too loud to play in the house, I never suggest getting a new amp.

You need a new house that suits your amp!

SuprHtr, Dobster, Frodebro and 2 others like this.
  5. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That might work your side of the pond, not so much on ours. We also have anti-social noise laws that are enforced.

6. telemnemonics

Ahhh, the Polly ticks of tone!

In the US I used to choose industrial buildings for rental living, or now and then found an apartment where all the units were musician/ rehearsal hells.

Now that I have a house, plus married a woman who actually likes my loud guitar every single day, I'm able to play loud most of the year but turn down a bit in summer for the neighbors.

Also happy to report that there is new tube tech that really does deliver pretty satisfying cranked toob tone at low volume, but only one of my amps has such modern tube advancements.
    It's an Orange OR15 with the 7w/ 15w switch, and at the 7w setting with master down it sounds pretty durn good for dirt.
    More modern than the OP example though. Through a low wattage small VC speaker it might get more of the OP dialed ratty bottom.
    Orange has a bunch of models with even lower settings like 1w/7w/15w, (OP) try them all!

For cleans at low volume I actually do fine with an old non master 50w Marshall half stack.
    That I can play with my wife fast asleep in the next room.

Key to small volume from big amps is turning down the guitar as well as the amp, and NOT using one of those new fangled treble bleed circuits in the guitar. The guitar volume pot does a nice job of making the tone softer while the volume goes down, perfect for sweet cleans at whisper volume, without being thin, boxy or small sounding.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  7. oopsimeltednitro

oopsimeltednitro TDPRI Member

Me, I got a tube amp 6 months after I started playing and disappointingly realized I still sounded awful* and never received the benefit of tube magic.

I like what other people suggested...keep the katana for now (its so darn versitile and easy to use) and put that $$$ towards a new guitar.

PS- your guitar looks cool btw!

*19 years later...sound only slightly less awful now.

beagle and KrenarCilku like this.
  8. William Pugh

William Pugh Tele-Meister

Years ago, I had a Peavey Bravo which I thought I liked, but I was always in the music stores trying other amps. I was spending a lot of time on Traynors (a home-grown Canadian brand) and liked them better, but wasn't sure I was ready to put down the $$$ for them.

An older guy who worked part-time in the store looked at me and said: "From your playing, I'd say you should try one of those Fenders over there."

I said "Way too expensive."

He said "Fine by me, but I think you'd love them."​

So I slid over, plugged in my guitar, turned on the amp and... There it was: GLORIOUS!! I only played a couple of notes but I knew that a Fender tube amp was the way I needed to go.

I bought a vintage Fender Champ shortly after that and haven't really looked back. Except maybe to get something a little more powerful and sparkly.

Sooooo... What's this all about? I'm not really sure what's useful for you here. Maybe this: Try some amps and you'll know when you need to change your Katana.

Oooorrrrr, maybe some people who know tones better than I do could tell you from your video what you're aiming for: Fender, Marshall (vintage or modern), Mesa, Vox... I don't know.

Good luck!!

KrenarCilku likes this.
  9. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I have neighbours who called the police when I was playing my acoustic, indoors with the doors and windows closed.

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Nice playing and tone.
    If you’re satisfied with your tone, it doesn’t matter what we think.
    I’ve never owned a Katana but I’ve owned a Helix, Mustang GT and a THR10ii. They were (are) all fine. I still prefer my Princeton or a good tube amp. They are warmer and offer a different response under your fingers. It’s like a different neural/tactile feedback when playing. That might be BS, but that’s my take.
    Also, modelers like the Katana (or even software plug-ins) sound great in a mix but you hear a difference in a room with just you and your guitar.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  11. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

BTW, I'm not implying that the following applies to you. This is just a personal observation from an old fart.

I have seen "musicians" at open mics who probably should have been arrested for musical instrument abuse.
    Let us start with count 1. "Beating the hell out of an expensive acoustic guitar that somebody else might actually know how to play." Then count 2. "Attempting to sound like you are singing while beating the hell out of said guitar." And then count 3. "using sound reinforcement to amplify the the abuse listed in the previous 2 counts".
    When it reaches that point, which has an alarming frequency or occurrence, it really doesn't matter if it is a tube amp, a solid state amp, a PA , or no amp at all, home, or apt. You need a teacher not advice on gear. YMMV

KrenarCilku and beagle like this.
  12. telemnemonics

What's up with people?
    Buncha crazies!

GrantR and KrenarCilku like this.
  13. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

That's life. :D

14. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

a friend in a pretty decently known band plays a katana... I've known him for a long time and trust his judgement that it's a great amp. I've been playing for years and have owned many tube amps, I've owned digitech rp series up to 2120... I've owned several line6 devices, have played many vst amp sims. I now own a marshall, a fender, an axefx3, a mesa triaxis, several tube power amps. Of all the things I've owned what I like best is a digital fx/modeler device going into a tube power amp. IMO it's the best of both worlds. I love playing my tube amps, but I love the flexibility of being able to just plug in and record with my axe fx.

Don't get me wrong... every now and then I plug into one of my tube amps and turn on a few pedals and it's like coming home... so I guess what I'm trying to say is: inspiration is worth whatever you have to pay for it... so I recommend you buy one of everything.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  15. nobis17

nobis17 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I got an all tube not that long ago. I love it, plain and simple. but I agree with the suggestion to get a small one later on. Unless you are playing to an auditorium of 1000+ you don't need anything more than 5w. Tubes are so much louder than SS it's ridiculous. I have a 20w and was jamming with our drummer last week, I was on the drive channel, when the drummer asked me to turn down a little bit, because it was too loud (is that even a thing?). I looked down to see that I was on "4".

...not even close to 11...

KrenarCilku and That Cal Webway like this.
  16. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Try tube amps. Preferably in a store, where you can turn knobs and experiment.

They're different. I cannot prove that they are what you want or need. Katanas are one of the best current SS offerings. I know this because I tried them. But they aren't a tube amp.
    The first amp I Bought was a big honking SS Peavey. I was maybe 11/12? My grandfather loaned me a SF Fender champ, so I didn't have to use the crappy SS thing that came with my guitar or lug the 2×12 between parents houses.
    The difference in dynamics got to me, I slowly started not liking the SS stuff.
    I own a SS amp i use to test stuff. Everything else is tube.

Its important to find what you like the sound of, what works for you.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  17. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

@KrenarCilku, there's plenty of good advice here so far, so I'll just add one more voice to the 'keep the Katana, but try out some tubes' chorus. Listen with your ears, not your eyes.

Nice sound you have with the Katana & the HB Jnr. I too find myself living on the Kat's crunch channel with P90's these days - great tones!!!

SS amps had a historical (largely deserved) bad reputation, which is now thankfully completely obsolete. It's mostly all down to personal preference these days.

I've found that the Katana is great for home use, and in a band setting you can't really hear much, if any, difference. They 'feel' different, but the audience won't know that.;)

Sure, my Katana 50 doesn't sound exactly like my old master-volume-less Marshall half-stack, but it gets 90% of the way there at 0.1% of the volume. For me these days, that's more than good enough.
    My ears, family, cat and neighbours are all a lot safer, too. :cool:

GrantR, beagle and KrenarCilku like this.
  18. ChickenFingers

ChickenFingers TDPRI Member

To my ears there is no substitute for my blackface '65 Princeton Reverb. It's one sounds, but an incredible one... BUT - after much deliberation, I did recently get a Positive Grid Spark (similar to Katana) and I do not regret it a bit. Just auditioning virtual pedals... playing with sounds that would normally take an army of pedals I don't have - it's been a super great purchase and it's making me play more guitar, having those sounds at my fingertips... sounds awfully tubey as well - not exactly like the Princeton, but darn close!

KrenarCilku and StevesBoogie like this.
  19. Terrygh1949

Terrygh1949 Tele-Meister

I have a Katana 100 with the multi button pedal and, a few pedals and, I can get any sound I want period! I also have a BugeraV22 all tube amp but, I do use more pedals with it just because there are no built in FX like the Katana.
    I have giged both and, they both perform very well. I used nothing but tube amps back in the 60's just because there was nothing else. I had a Fender Twin that was a Great amp but, the weight was horrible! If I had found an amp like the Katana in the 60's I would have freaked out with all the sound options and, my band members would have too.

beagle likes this.
  20. rogb

rogb Tele-Afflicted

The Katana sounds like a Katana, not a tube amp. I like tube amps so that's what I use. I have played through K50 and 100 and apart from their reliability I wouldn't buy one. Ever. If you like it, then that's great.

Mike Simpson and KrenarCilku like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.