1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HELP! Katana VS Tubes

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by KrenarCilku, Jul 27, 2020.

1. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Hello everyone! First poster here and I'm coming in with a BURNING QUESTION that I need your opinions on..

Let me get this out of the way, I have NEVER played a Tube Amp.

This is how I sound using my Boss Katana 50 on the crunch channel . Do you guys think I would benefit from getting a tube amp?

I've asked this question in a lot of groups and got tons of replies, but I really want to hear your opinion.

Any responses would be highly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Howdy and welcome!
    I’m a big fan of Roland/Boss amps.
    I grew up using tube amps, but I greatly prefer the versatility of the Katana series.
    I’d suggest you keep your Katana, and try out several tube amps.
    Serious guitar players ought to have both, IMO.

3. Tarkus60

Tarkus60 Tele-Meister

I have the katana 50 also and its a great amp. With the tone studio the possibilities are endless. But I have a vox ac10 also.....
    Its 95 to 5 in favor of the vox. You need both!

4. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

Tube amps vary a LOT, and people spend a lot of time and money finding the one, including which tubes and which speaker, that suits them the best. Also, tube amps work differently at different volumes and often have a 'sweet spot' where the tubes are driving just right and quieter is a bit bland and louder is a bit too distorted.
    It's great when you find your amp and your sound, but it will probably be much more expensive, be much heavier and require more maintenance (tubes and things wear out...) than your Katana. That's why players like these modeling amps....cheaper, lighter, easy to maintain and you get loads of sound options.
    You'll need to do some research and experimenting. There's a lot more to it than just getting an amp with tubes in it if you want to improve on your Katana.

bluesguy62, Bobbyoso, Timmay and 6 others like this.
  5. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Holic

I have both.

I use a roland blues cube hot and a 5e3 clone. Both are great.

I sometimes use the bc hot instead of the 5e3 because it takes pedals really well and loves preamps as I do.

The 5e3 is great when I play with my band. It is more articulate and it is easier for band members to hear my intentions.

The difference is really thin though. I played many tube amps and for years I only used the bc hot cause it was better than all of the tube amps.

Try several tube amps and if there is one that you love, buy it.

bluesguy62 and KrenarCilku like this.
  6. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I think you need at least two tube amps. Then you'll decide to go the modeling route, so you'll get a Helix, Kemper, or other and an frfr speaker and sell your amps. Then you'll realize that nothing sounds like tubes, so youll get another couple of tube amps. Then you won't be able to play them loud so you'll get a load box and have a hybrid rig. Then you'll realize that its just easier with a modeler, so you'll sell your amps. Then you'll want a new guitar, and sell the modeling rig to purchase it, because you can just get another Katana at a good price and it sounds great. Then you'll realize that nothing sounds like tubes...

Nahtabot, rogb, stepvan and 26 others like this.
  7. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

I'd stick with the kat for versatility

maybe get a small tube but as you play more amps, you will realise the kat is close enough to tubes and it being easy to maintain and light are huge accolades

knocking a tube amp when moving it and having a tube smash before a show is the worst

fos1, beagle and KrenarCilku like this.
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Need?, no.
    You sound great through whatever you were playing through there. That's a good sound.

Should you?. yes. A small, simple valve amplifier is a joy. We live in interesting times, and small, simple, fine sounding amps that don't cost a fortune can be had. The Harley Benton Tube-5 combo, the Kong-5 and the Joyo JTA-05 are all readily available and cost less than some folk spend on a pedal.

It isn't a versus. Adding something small, valvular and simple to your arsenal adds to your options, and Esquires/Juniors through a limited amp brings fresh joy.

Keep the Katana though.

9. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Holic

I love my katana 50 for the crunch channel and on board BOSS delays for some slap back. It’s a fun goof around amp.

I use my Deluxe Reverb for playing in my band (back when I played in my band regularly), but I suppose I’d have no problem using my Katana if I had to. killer amp.

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Tube amps don't all sound the same. Lots of people are very happy with digital / SS / modeling approaches. I've owned the Katana and still own tube amps, a modeling amp, and an old-fashioned SS analog amp. Do you NEED a tube amp? Definitely not. If you're happy with what you've got, play it all the time and stop worrying about gear. In the course of your guitar playing life you will meet other musicians and have opportunity to try out all kinds of amps. You might find something that works better for you than the Katana, or you might not.
    Dont let the internet ruin your happiness! There will always be somebody out there showing off fancier gear than you have, and there will always be some 12 year old girl on youtube who is a way better player. And that's ok!

stepvan, Maguchi, GrantR and 6 others like this.
  11. peteycaster

peteycaster Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Nice playing. Sounds great. Have a kat50 also. I get some good tones with a strat out of mine.

Jlwctn, beagle and KrenarCilku like this.
  12. KrenarCilku

KrenarCilku Tele-Meister

Thank you for the replies everyone! I am reading all the threads throroughly and I appreciate all the answers!

Makes it much easier to make a decision!

Cheers!

Jlwctn, beagle and brookdalebill like this.
  13. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Hello and Welcome

Well , try out a tube amp in your price ballpark ... would be pointless to try a 10fold expensive one and see if there's something different to YOU.... which is the only one that this really matters to.

Some people do some people dont' hear differences, btw the journey of gear exploration is part of the fun process and why most of us here are broke lol.

Have fun, go to a shop if you can and try some out ;)

14. radiomanjh

radiomanjh Tele-Afflicted

welcome, that is some nice playing! I've had tube amps always and just play at home but I have been considering getting a Katana also. like others have said check tube amps out and if you can afford it, get one since you already have the Katana.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  15. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

You don't need a valve amp. Whether you want one or not is another thing. I sold mine after 37 years, because since I got the Katana I no longer had any need for it.

16. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have the Fender Mustang GTX. I truly believe modeling amps are not only improving, but they are garnering larger and larger acceptance among musicians. Trust me, I have felt the same bug.

A couple of months ago I was even pricing the PRRI 65 and then started doing research and A/B studies on Tube Screamer type pedals, etc....when I luckily caught myself. I really don't want to spend any more time than I have to on depending on a small handful of sounds. I have 2 'go-to' clean sounds, 2 'go-to' crunch, and 1 multi-effect sound that I use on my Mustang.

If I had a tube amp, I'd be spending 80% of my time exploring pedals and testing pedals and buying/trading pedals...instead of just playing.

If you have the additional time then definitely go for it. Some other posters are spot on - it's not a versus, it's an add. But in my opinion, there is that black hole (of additional time and money) of once getting a tube then possibly chasing the perfect sound.

GrantR, KrenarCilku and beagle like this.
  17. 8trackmind

8trackmind Tele-Afflicted

Keep the Kat and be happy. I use/fight with/lug around tube amps and its a chore. When they sing, its glorious. However, its elusive and thats the advantage of the Roland amps. They really do sound good from quiet to gig levels. My next amp will probably a Roland.

Bobbyoso, GrantR, KrenarCilku and 2 others like this.
  18. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I have heard Katana's ... my opinion there are better SS offerings. I am not a big fan of modeling amps, I personally think that evey guitar player needs a tube amp and a SS amp, Tubes have something SS amps don't, namely good sound. Solid state amps have decent sound and are mostly reliable. If I was going to go solid state I would be thinking blues cube. It will probably be my last amp purchase. YMMV

goodguy, Antmax and KrenarCilku like this.
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I just had a listen, the Harley Benton sounds good with the Katana. They're nice guitars.

KrenarCilku likes this.
  20. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice sound. I have a Line 6 for rehearsal and several tube amps I use live and I almost always sound like me. I would stick with the Katana, play a lot, and keep exploring. It is possible there is a tube amp in your future.

Axegrinder77 and beagle like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.