1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help! Just added a hard drive, running Home Studio 2004

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by gitlvr, Jun 6, 2015.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I have been using Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 since, well, 2004. I know it is a very old DAW by now, but it serves for what I do.

However, I recently purchased a 1 terrabyte drive and want to keep the program on the C drive of my computer, but set it to store my projects and everything else that will eat up hard drive space in the new hard drive.

1- I cannot figure out how to do that, and the manual is no help.

2- I'm in the middle of a project and would like to be able to migrate everything , Cakewalk Project files, audio data, everything to that new drive. Can anyone help me?

Edited to add: Is it as simple as going to "global options/folders", and where it says
    Project files C:/Cake walk Projects
    Templates
    CAL files
    Window Layouts
    Wave Files
    Video files
    Sysx files
    Play list
    Groove quantize
    Studiowaere
    Patterns
    Drum maps
    all of which have the C:/ prefix, and changing that C:/ to a J:/ for all of them?
    And are there any I should leave where they are?
    Any help appreciated.

2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

I'm not a Windows guy, but you're on the money about keeping your audio operation off the system drive. To save your current projects on the new HD, open them and *Save As* onto it. For your old projects: On Mac, you could just go to your Cakewalk projects folder (or wherever your old ones are stored), select all, and drag them onto the new one, but dunno if Windows works that way :confused: ... Once you're satisfied everything's in good shape, trash the song files off your system drive. Good luck!

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Woodman, thanks. I'll give that a go next time around. Only problem I can see is that Home Studio automatically save all the different takes that I record(even the ones I delete) to a destination folder on my C drive, where the program resides. I really need to find a way to designate a new folder in the other drive for this, or my main drive will still fill up pretty quickly.

4. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Yes, it'll be worth the hassle to figure that out. Can't be rocket science, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to Windows. There may be a preference within Cakewalk that designates file destination. ???

5. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Don't use CW either but in every DAW that I've messed with it gives you an option of where to save projects. I use Mixcraft and it has a preferences tab where that, and many other options, are.

I think if you've found the option that you mentioned, it should be as easy as telling it which file to save too.

I'm sure it's a pretty simple adjustment.

M

6. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Google is your friend... "cakewalk home studio 2004 save preferences"

http://soundsgoodpro.com/cakewalktips.htm#29

7. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

This is a part of my question. I have no idea wat to even name such a file, and was hoping it was as simple as changing the C:/ designation of the file locations already mentioned to J:/, and just keep the same file name/designation.
    I know absolutely jack about this kind of thing. I can operate the program, but things like this are not in my cranium.

I can find no "preferences" folder, but there is an "options/global" which lists all those file designations.
    I'm running Vista OS.

8. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks. Cannot find my user guide. Only have the "getting started" guide. But I think I can find a download somewhere. Much appreciated!

9. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

One other thing...

Do you have a backup plan? You really should have another drive (or 2, or 3) to archive your projects in case something goes wrong... I can only imagine that if you're using the 2004 version that there's 11 years of data sitting there with it, and it will be all gone should your main HD crap out...

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

10. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I just got this 2nd drive. It will be a while before I can afford a third. If I can't get the file destinations switched to this new drive, I would not have a clue how to back the whole thing up to a third drive.
    Just sayin' :)

11. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Does your computer have a CD burner? Even burning off your data that way is better than no backup at all for your projects.

There's also plenty of free cloud storage on the web. You may already even have access to some through your ISP, or if you're an Amazon member.

Even a free service like Dropbox or Copy give you free multiple GBs of storage.

12. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks. That's a great idea. I believe I saved a few projects to CD a few years ago.
    What I may do is save my current project files (all I'm concerned with), then uninstall Home Studio. Reinstall the program, and when it prompts me where to set up and store the files, change the destination folders suggested from C:/ to j:/.
    I believe, if I am correct, that this will prompt the program to set these files up in my new drive, and not the old one?
    Now I just need to figure out which folder is the actual program, and which is everything else.

13. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

there might be a project preferences box somewhere. that's where you
    can change the destination of where the project lives.

I'm currently running Sonar X2 and I've found the Cakewalk
    programs to be pretty similar. You can always hit up the
    Cakewalk forums and ask away. They have good advice most times
    and are friendly. Just like here.

14. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Studio, thanks. I think i have it licked. There is a box I left unchecked in Options/Global/Audio called Per Project Audio. Checking this box causes a window to pop up for any new project, which lets me choose where I want the project and audio files stored to.
    When I installed the program, I just let HS choose where to place things. And I didn't dig deep enough into the manual to see that option. Bad idea on my part.
    Thanks for everyone's help. Much appreciated.

15. Rolling Estonian

Rolling Estonian Friend of Leo's

Just the other night I set up my mic and no signal........ After checking a bunch of stuff, I pressed the phantom power button.........

I don't think I'll ever be able to condition myself to think of the simplest, most sensical thing first. Shhhhhh, don't tell my wife! :D

Anyway, glad you're up and at 'em!

M

16. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, M. Much appreciated.

17. studio

She knows.
    ;)

18. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

They always do. They just pretend they don't, and save it up. :eek:

19. studio

Right on! You got it going!

If you need anything else Cakewalk, you can PM me or
    holla someway. I'll hear ya.

You know, Recording in Progress forum right here on the TDPRI
    is a great place to ask these questions. Rock on dude!

20. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, studio!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.