Help is this a fake Brimar 6V6GT?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by edodo, Apr 9, 2012.

1. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

Please help me identify if this is a genuine Brimar or a rebranded russian tube with the "saucer getter". I can't find any picture of those "saucer getter".

Also, do I really need to rebias my princeton Reverb RI stock if I swap the EH6V6GT for those Brimars? I already changed the preamp tubes (V1 Jan GE 5751, V2 4024 Mullard, V3 New tung sol 12AX7.)

Many thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

Dont know about the Brimar but you should rebias if you change power tubes

3. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Looks like the Brimars I have.

Yes, if you change the power tubes on a Princeton Reverb, you need to check the bias and adjust if needed. If you are not worried about possibly shortening the lives of the tubes (maybe a few amp parts too) or getting optimal results, then go ahead and plug and play.

4. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

Does the Princeton Reverb reissue have a bias pot for adjustment? My silver-face Prince. Rev. has only a resistor to be changed if biasing is needed. All the non reissues PRs have the resistor.

5. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

somehow I can't picture a tube manufacturer going to any great lengths to counterfeit a Brimar tube. It is possible I guess, but it seems like a lot of trouble and as far as I know Brimars are not considered to be one of the most desireable old tubes.

6. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

From what I can tell from the photos and what I can see thru spoked glass, looks like my Brimars. I use them in my SFDR and have 1 spare - would love to find some more.

And yes, my PRRI has a bias adjustment pot.

7. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

Yes, you need to rebias if you install the Brimars - I like around 19mA in my PRRI.

Should sound great with those plus the preamp tubes you have. My PRRI has NOS Mullard and GE preamps w/ Sylvania 6V6's.

8. edodo

edodo TDPRI Member

During the Cold war russian 6N6 were rebranded to EU brand in order to be imported to US.
    Anyway I heard those Brimars are the ticket for me as I find the PRRI edgy and trebley with my stock std US Tele.
    Thanks for all advice.
    One word I think I will place the 5R4 rectifier for a 5Y3 as I hear NOS 6V6GT don't like voltage above 425V. I think i will try it.
    I am a little scared to do the biasing myself even if it seems doable with a correct probe. Anyone could advise about the right probe to do it?

Changed the preamp tube again:
    V1 NOS Tungsol 12AY7 (I like it), V2 Mullard 4024, V3 Jan GE 5751.
    More headroom, sound sweeter with my LesPaul too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.