Help in valuing a Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by John C, May 15, 2019.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hi All,

I've been trying to sell my 2019 SG Tribute here locally for a week or so and was offered a modded MIM Tele plus cash.

It started life as one of those Guitar Center/Musician's Friend FSR Deluxe Ash Teles that has the reversed control plate. It has had the control plate replaced with one with the angled switch, it has a Twisted Tele neck pickup and a Duncan Hot Tele bridge pickup, and Fender Deluxe locking tuners (with the round buttons like on MIM Deluxes), plus a Fender chainsaw-style case.

Trying to figure out the value with the mods - any help? From the photos it looks in 9 out of 10 condition - no dings, just pick scratches on the pickguard.

Thanks in advance.

2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Tele-Afflicted

I couldn't say exact dollar value. But as a buyer I would be very hesitant to count any changes to the original set up as automatic increase in value. What constitutes an upgrade is purely subjective, and can actually lower the value in many cases. If you want it, it may be worth it. But if you trying to match dollar for dollar, be wary is my only advice.

3. John C

Agreed - the used value of a stock one would be around $400; the person proposing the trade isn't going to be happy when I don't count any of the mods toward the value. I might kick it up to $425 since there is the Fender chainsaw case.

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Here's just one quick opinion; brand new tribute SG costs 900-1000; but you are now selling used, and you can argue otherwise, but most buyers think 60%, so you have a 600 object. Came with a gig bag?

MIM tele, regardless of mods, at most 350. 400? Maybe. If you really, really like the tele then tele owner gives you that guitar plus 350 cash, plus the pickups that the FSR came with, if on hand; or somewhere in that neighborhood. I could be way off, but my 2 cents, nonetheless.

If you think your SG is worth more, why are you selling it so soon? How long have you had it? Did you get any other offers so far? Do you need to do something right now? Just questions to think about.

I really like the Twisted tele neck pickup, but not everyone else does. Wouldn't pay extra. Duncan bridge, not my flavor, wouldn't pay extra. Locking tuners, yeah, ok, but not paying extra, sorry. Hope this helps and good luck!

5. Whatizitman

Yeah, no.

I wouldn't have even responded. I'm afraid of engaging crazy. This is why I rarely sell things. You certainly have more trust in humanity than I do.

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Upgrades mostly devalue a guitar for me - not only because you don’t know the skills of the upgrader but you can never be entirely sure about all that has been done to it until after the deal is made. I’d much rather get a stock guitar and do my own “upgrades” (making everything reversible if possible). So, to me, the guitar you're looking at wouldn’t automatically be worth “more”.

For instance, this is my modified/upgraded Squier SE Strat:

A24047AE-8DF4-4F68-AC3C-B14E1B516FF3.jpeg

It's probably got around $350 worth of upgrades (not including the original purchase price of $125). But, despite sounding and playing great, I’d still be lucky to get more than $150-$175 if I were trying to sell it!

Another way to look at it is this: Let’s say you bought the Tele outright for a certain amount of money, would you be able to resell it for the same amount as a stock one (as it is with the so-called “upgrades”)? My guess is “maybe, but not much more”... so that's what it's worth...

Good Luck!

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  7. John C

Actually this SG is $1,100 new, so I was going with $650 even though 60% would be $660. It does come with Gibson's "soft case" - kind of in-between a nylon bag and a hard case; they're actually pretty sturdy vinyl.

Why sell it? Basically I always wanted an SG, but after a few months I can tell SGs just don't fit me right - very awkward to play; neck just hangs too far the left to get comfortable. Also not really getting along with the neck shape either as the 2019s are thicker than the typical slim taper neck.

Why sell it now? No real rush, but I got it at GC on their card with deferred interest and would like to pay it off - but I've got 3 1/2 more months to do that.

I've got it up for $650 on CL and this guy offered me cash plus the Tele, which I was considering to be worth $350-$400. We hadn't settled on the cash amount, but we have agreed to work toward $650 for the SG.

Totally agree that mods add no value to the price of the stock one, but sometimes they can detract from the value of the stock one.

I guess my question was because this was an FSR model - do those mods totally kill the value of this Tele, knocking it below $350?

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  8. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

You might get a variety of opinions here, but I don't think the mods, as described would devalue the FSR. I'm not sure anyone would realistically think that a stock FSR has more value than any other MIM. The pickups that were swapped in are perfectly good pickups - and as long as they are working fine and you like them, I don't see much of a problem. IMO, an MIM tele (or any used bolt-together-and-solder guitar, for that matter) has a definite value range, in the sense that you could sell the parts individually and recover that value. Used pickups, used body, used neck, used tuners still have a value. Just my two cents.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

I'd say sell the SG and buy the Tele if you like it at a fair price.

Gary

10. John C

Gary - I'm trying to sell it outright but all I've gotten is 2 trade offers. One was for something I had absolutely no interest in, the other was for this Tele plus cash coming my way. I was trying to figure out what I could flip the Tele for if I didn't care for it given the mods.

Thanks for everyone's advice - I may look at this Tele, or I may just pull it from sale and try again after Memorial Day.

nojazzhere likes this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

You need to find out how much cash the Tele owner is willing to come up with before you completely blow him off. He may have a realistic idea of real-world values, and you both could come out favorably. Sort of like killing two birds with one transaction. ;).....this is all depending on if YOU like the Tele.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

MIM FSRs are less value than regular MIM Teles, and then the mods ... I'd think you're cash add would need to be close to $300 for the swap to happen.

Just ask the Tele guy how much cash he can kick in and you counter with what you would be comfortable with and you're on your way to trade or not.

13. John C

That was my feeling - if I'm considering the SG value at $650, then he should kick in $300. We haven't agreed to meet or anything else yet - I'll post the final outcome once it's played out.

nojazzhere likes this.
  14. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Never seen the point in selling a guitar you don’t want and getting another guitar you don’t as part of the deal. You just start the hassle all over again.

15. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Also, I'd recommend playing that Tele first. The model you're considering has my least favorite neck of any Fender I've ever played. It's thin and just awkward in some way.

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. Whatizitman

If the tele owner could easily flip it, he wouldn't be trying to trade up. He'll be passing on his problem to you, while getting a nice SG out of it. That's how I sees it.

17. Whatizitman

Is $300 (or whatever he counters with) enough to get you other gear you want? If not, I would pass.

18. John C

That's how I'm seeing it as well. The used market sucks here - GC takes a ton of trades and no one moves anything on Craigslist, Letgo, Facebook, etc.

Guy with the Tele dropped off the face of the earth after sending me a bunch of photos so I'm considering it over and done.

I was really fishing for an American Special Strat or Tele (or American Performer Strat/Tele) as those would be a wash value-wise with the SG ($1,000-$1,100 MAP instruments).

19. John C

I've found that nothing over $400 moves well here in KC on the used market; you can flip a $350 Tele or Strat all day long, but nothing over that.

At any rate the guy's dropped off the face of the earth so I'm no longer considering the deal.

20. Whatizitman

Right. I think we only hear about the flips that people want to brag about. I blame reality TV, for...pretty much everything, nowadays.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.