Help , im looking for filtertron pickup advice

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by joemiracle220, Jun 25, 2019.

1. joemiracle220

joemiracle220 NEW MEMBER!

First of all sorry for the crappy playing , i recently broke my right wrist and had to get a plate and screws put in, im about 5 weeks out from surgery .

Im looking for a set of TV jones or similar pickups that will make me love the way my guitar sounds as much as i love how it looks.

It came with classics and wanting more volume out of it i changed them out to a powertron and t90. i feel like the powertron is to compressed and and wanting something a little brighter and maybe a tad more output with out being overly compressed , but more open sounding.

im thinking of a set of the magnatrons but wanted to ask people who were more familiar with these pickups than me. ive heard the Tarmonds are great but i duno if i want the hum.

Ive thought about trying the psychotron from McNelly pickups but im not sure if it will fit in a tvjones slot.

http://www.calumetguitars.com/pickups.html

here is a video i made to help you guide me and maybe better understand what im wanting. again sorry for the sub par playing

thank you for your help

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I would ask over on the The Gretsch Pages. "Gretsch Talk" . But compressed is what Filtertrons are for sure. Punchy warm round bottom end. You might like something like a P90 or one of the Gretsch Single coil types better. Gretsch Blacktops are Humbuckers in a 'Tron format. They are cheap to try if you think HB's will do it.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My favorites are TV Jones Classic+ for the bridge, and Supertron for the neck.
    Good luck!

6stringcowboy likes this.
  4. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

My Cab has a Classic in the neck and a Classic+ in the bridge. No reason to go nuts.

5. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

My Cab has a Magnetron in the bridge and the stock Fender variety pup in the neck. The Magnetron seems a bit more balanced and has a nice twangy high end without getting too bright but certainly is a fair bit brighter than the stock Fenders. I have always intended to get a replacement for the neck pup but I don't use neck pups on many of my guitars all that much so I decided not to spend the extra cash. Guess that is part of the reason I like single pup guitars so much.

6. Jack Clayton

Jack Clayton Tele-Meister

If what you have is the TV Classic and you aren't happy with it, then I can't help you. I've had one in my guitar for a year or so, and loved it.

7. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Filtertrons not loud enough? More Amp volume maybe?

If the Gretsch types aren't what your looking for, but the P90's do well except for the hum, Why not try some Minibuckers or Firebird pickups?

BorderRadio and Jack Clayton like this.
  8. brucerbc

brucerbc TDPRI Member

Check out the Black Cat Filtertron-style pickups from The Creamery. No affiliation, but I put a set in my Eastman T486 and would describe them just like your quote. I found Jaime from The Creamery to be pretty responsive to questions (though TV Jones was too!), so drop him a note ... and maybe a link to your video?

PS. You're a great player. Far better than me, post-surgery or not!

9. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Yeah since the classic/classic plus combo is one of the best ever, imho, I’m not sure how to be helpful, either.

Is the volume really the issue or is it just not thick enough in tone? Filtertrons are pretty open and less bass heavy. Honestly I wonder if your issue is with your amp and not the pickups.

10. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

I have a Gretsch G2622T with TV Classics and my beloved G5420T with a classic+/T-armond combo.
    One thing to consider is the pickup height. Filters need to be close to the stings. The height recommendations TV gives are to be measured without pressing the strings down on the fret board.
    Filters are usually pretty low output so it may take some amp power to make them sing.

Also, I tend to keep the bass pretty low on my amp when I play my Gretsch’s. When I switch to my tele I bring the bass up a few notches, BUT I’ve tweaked my pickup heights in such a way that the output volumes are pretty much the same.

C’mon over to the Gretsch-Talk forum. We’d love to have you! :)

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

1.Turn you amp's volume a bit clockwise
    2.Buy a booster pedal for these times you want your guitar to be in the front of the mix.

Seeking"more volume" from a set of pickups means a hoter pickup that in turn means a compromise in sparkle and clarity (translation: your CLEAN tone will suffer)

BorderRadio and rigatele like this.
  12. joemiracle220

joemiracle220 NEW MEMBER!

Obviously i know the amp has a volume thats not the main issue anyway

13. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I don’t get it. Sounds good to me, pretty open etc. If you don’t like Classics and even the Powertron, then Filtertrons might not be for you. I’m with guys who say get a booster or turn it up if you want more output. Anything other than that is just a Gibson HB, in my opinion, and kills whatever makes a Filtertron unique. But I get it, you’re stuck with the format, and looks do matter :) The compression, well that’s what I dislike about humbuckers in the first place, and Filters have a lot of that effect going on.

14. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

Alnico II Lollartron

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.