Help identifying vintage guitar

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Yeokp0909, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Yeokp0909

Yeokp0909 TDPRI Member

AB0B6C4C-7883-47AD-BF22-29DB059157D2.jpeg 8CF192B3-DFA2-48FE-8E96-9357A33931A2.jpeg 499FA17F-4A33-476B-B31A-2503D90D3565.jpeg 90CAA145-800E-473F-B77F-312D6141ADF1.jpeg Hey guys, first post.

I recently picked up an old (Japanese?) hollow body and I need help identifying it. My best guess is a Teisco or Kawai from 50’s or 60’s.

The neck is not original to the guitar, and I can’t find any other labels, logos, or numbers to go off of. It’s in pretty rough shape, but I think I can get it in good playing condition with a little work. It’s got a ton of mojo!

Some known facts:
    -Neck is not original to the body. It is a different color, appears to be much newer than the body, and it was shaved down to fit the neck pocket of the body. So pay no attention to the headstock shape or logo. (It says “Lark”, by the way.)
    -This has been heavily modified by previous owner(s). The body was routed for humbuckers, access holes were cut into the back to access wiring, and Gibson-style pick guard was installed.

If anyone has any clue of what this is, I’m all ears!

2. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Meister

Sorry, I can't help. Looks to be pretty much a parts guitar, so real hard to tell what it (the body) was originally. The construction looks a bit rough, so it could possibly even be a home-made creation.

3. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Two questions...

What are the letters on the headstock...

Can you see a label inside the F holes...

radiocaster likes this.
  4. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    radiocaster likes this.
  5. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

So do you think the op’s guitar has the original neck
    He says it’s a different color it may have been painted from the factory because it’s laminated or some crazy piece of wood
    The finger board and frets certainly look old in the photos

6. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

That body looks like it was cut from cardboard by a 2nd grader... in a good way.:) What a funky looking thing.

How does it play? Sound?

7. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Tele-Afflicted

Okay, maybe not original. Certainly the unmatched neck screws aren't. Still, bolt-on necks for hollowbody and acoustic guitars were a hallmark of cheap 60s imports.

I guess it probably is a mutt, maybe even a homemade or school shop project body - certainly the top & back are pretty crudely drawn.

But my vote is still for cheap import; it isn't that simple to make an arched top at home. I'd expect someone with the skill to do it themselves would've done a better job.

naneek, Toadtele and Fretting out like this.
  8. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pull the access covers off and look inside. That might clue you in on what it started out as. My guess is that it was a vintage Kay that somebody hot rodded into the Griswold family truckster of guitars.

naneek and Fretting out like this.
  9. Yeokp0909

Yeokp0909 TDPRI Member

1. Lark
    2. No visible labels

Second grader cutout- yes! It needs some work before it is playable, but it has a very funky sound- lots of character.

It’s actually a flat top. No arch at on on this one. It could quite possible be a homemade job.
    0C6B0D30-82BD-433C-88A0-92782A7BA57F.jpeg

The access holes on the back are not original, very crudely cut out. No clues inside- the pots and all the wiring have been replaced.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  10. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Gotta say. Without an arch I’m leaning towards homemade. Cool project though.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  11. Mr_Racer

Mr_Racer NEW MEMBER!

It looks like a Gresch Tenesseen to me! Maybe the neck broke and they bolted on one?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"Crudely cut" is a very strong clue. Not luthier built then, not an expensive instrument, likely laminate body....what do the braces look like? The bracing is unique to every brand and could answer a lot of questions.

13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Why do 99.9999999% of threads on forums about Japanese guitars have to have someone insist on typing "Teisco"? They didn't even have their own factory, Teiscos were made in a factory with a bunch of other brands.

Yeokp0909 likes this.
  14. Mr_Racer

Mr_Racer NEW MEMBER!

UR rite! Haha
    Always Teisco

radiocaster and Yeokp0909 like this.
  15. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Japson L5 prototype?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.