Help identifying strap button brand

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by slick4772, May 17, 2021.

1. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Hi. I’m hoping someone can tell me what brand of strap buttons these are. I have one of them on a EVH Frankenstein guitar because Eddie used to have one of these on the upper horn. I haven’t been able to find out what they are. If you’ve seen these - please let me know. I’d like to find another pair.

Attached Files:

2. nathan5782

nathan5782 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

4. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Of all the brands I searched...thanks so much!!

5. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

They wore out over the times and do not savely click in. Our guitarist lost its Les Paul and damaged it. Yank them out and get some Schallers.

6. TwoBear

TwoBear Tele-Afflicted

Yes that’s the original Dunlop, I’ve got them on most of my guitars probably at least six pair, some on just one end, and a different make on the other. The packages look similar but for about two dollars more there’s a newer design that also doubles as a strap button, so you want to be careful when ordering or just grabbing them at the store.

I’ve never had the mechanism fail, but commonsense dictates you give it a good yank every time just to see that it’s seated, and the mounting screws haven’t backed off. I have a good pH I guess but I’ve seen friends that are heavily alkaline and they ruined all kinds of metal work on guitars. I guess it’s possible that sweat may affect the plunger and the little ball bearings. As far as the Schaller’s you need to make sure that the outer most nut is applied with at the least removable thread locker. If not it can back off and will fail. Also the little cup on the strap part should be mounted so that it cradles the guitar, So if the little release button Doesn’t seat properly at least the Weight of the guitar will hold it in, with the Schallers. They all have their idiosyncrasies- that old Dunlop style-I have actually busted it off because they hang out farther than most, and sheared off the screw into the body at the rear. They use a special small headed screw that’s hard to find but easy enough to make by chucking up The correct threaded screw into a drill and running against sandpaper or better yet a belt sander. The Dunlop is also held together with a “C”washer somewhat a kin to something you’d find on old universal joint, and I’ve never had them come loose although I have lost them when I had them apart for some reason. If you’re copying Eddie’s you want to make sure you get the older less expensive style.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.