Help Identifying Squier Japan Precision bass (80s/90s?)

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by walter bernards, Sep 16, 2020.

1. walter bernards

walter bernards TDPRI Member

Hey guys (and gals),

I recently bought a Squier mij P-bass on Reverb. I need help identifying it since I'm not going to remove the pick-guard and neck until it needs new strings!

The seller said it was a '93 but the headstock makes me believe it's from the 80s. There is no serial number on the neck plate, and I have no idea what the pickups are.

Unfortunately the guy did a real poor re-fret job so there are burn/hack marks along the fretboard. There are also suntan marks around the pick-guard with cut outs for the pick ups which makes it evident it isn't the original. In one of the photos you can see the wood grain on the body.

Overall, the seller deceived me in many ways but I'm looking at the bass as a rescue dog that found a good home and needs some love. Also it's on the lighter side and most importantly, sounds great.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

SheldonP and 68Telebass like this.
  2. KATT

KATT TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

The neck looks to be a Squier SQ series from the early to mid-80s would be my guess. I'm not sure about the body or hardware though.

By '93, there were very few Squier models being made in Japan (at least for export) and they had the serial number on the face of the headstock.

SheldonP likes this.
  3. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Regardless of the tan or fretburn, that looks GREAT..classic combo of Olympic White with tort pickguard!!!
    I think you did OK...:cool:

4. walter bernards

walter bernards TDPRI Member

Thank you! I will say, the reason why I didn't hassle to return it to the guy was because aged olympic white is a beautiful thing. I just wish I could determine what kind of wood/what this body is! Cheers

68Telebass likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.