Help identifying pickups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by bossfrog, Aug 14, 2019.

1. bossfrog

bossfrog TDPRI Member

Before I start, I did not think to take any pictures when I first saw these pickups in my new used Classic Vibe 50s Tele (Vintage Blonde).

I got a killer deal on it for $175 because the bridge pickup had horrible squeal with any amount of gain applied, even just SRV levels of gain. I figured worst case scenario I buy a new bridge pickup and I'm good. Well, I found the problem. The base plate was pretty loose. There was only a tiny bit of wax holding it to the pickup and the whole front edge had a visible gap. It also had undersized springs that really weren't doing anything. So a little rubber cement and surgical tubing fixed the squeal.

The odd thing though was that the base plate had a rectangle cutout for a bar magnet. It wasn't ceramic. It is some flavor of AlNiCo. After I got it all back together I found out that the pickup was noiseless. The neck pickup is not noiseless but it has a similar smaller AlNiCo magnet on the bottom side.

So basically the bridge pickup is:

Noiseless
    AlNiCo bar magnet
    base plate with hole to fit over the magnet
    The coil(s) are wrapped in black overwrap string.
    The sound is pure tele, even being noiseless.
    The bobbin has no markings on the top.
    Pole pieces are flush with the top bobbin.

I can't find any similar pictures so far. Does anyone have a clue what this pickup is?

2. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

if you search "telecaster pickup set" on eBay, those are the cheapest Chinese pickups you can buy, about $10 for both pickups. i just installed a set a few weeks ago on a whim... and they're honestly good sounding. pretty sure they're ceramic, but ya never know... and who cares if they sound good?

you probably bought from a similarly minded person who bought the cheapest pickups they could buy so they could sell a "loaded" body without needing to give away their expensive aftermarket pickups in the deal

Attached Files:

CFFF likes this.
  3. bossfrog

bossfrog TDPRI Member

Not the same pickups. These the bar magnet in the back is shiny metal and is flush with the base plate. Definitely not ceramic. But the base plate is the same. Also the leads are all contained in one wire until where they solder to the switch. If it hasn't been figured out by then I'll take pictures next time I change strings.

4. bossfrog

bossfrog TDPRI Member

Okay, on the odd chance anyone cares, I think I solved the mystery. The magnet seemed too shiny, almost like polished nickle to be alnico although I've seen alnico polished before. I'm now 90% sure it is a neodymium magnet, so these are probably GFS Neovin pickups.

5. Twangintwig

Twangintwig NEW MEMBER!

Hi guys, New to the forum and looking for identification as well. Needing to know a year or round abouts on this neck pickup. I've had it for sometime and I'm guessing 52,53,54 perhaps? Or maybe late 50s? 20190820_235711.jpg 20190820_235733.jpg 20190820_235658.jpg
    Need an expert eye. Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.