Help identifying a mystery cabinet

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 72_Custom, Mar 25, 2020.

1. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member

About 15 years ago, I purchased a wonderful Drip Edge Bassman off of Craigslist. When I went to pick it up, the seller also threw in a 2x12 cabinet of unknown origin for free. Well, all these years later, curiosity has finally gotten the better of me and I'm dying to figure out what it is. It clearly used to be a combo amp and currently houses two 12" Sunn "Guitar Transducer" speakers. I have no clue if they are the original speakers, but the pattern of the grill cloth does appear to be similar to that of certain old Sunn amplifiers. Trouble is, I haven't been able to turn up any Sunn amp in my research that looks like it could fit the bill.

So, I figured I would try to harness some of the collective power of the forums. Does anyone out there have an idea what it could be or at least where I could look to try to find an answer? IMG_5502.jpg IMG_5504.jpg IMG_5505.jpg IMG_5503.jpg IMG_5509.jpg

old soul likes this.
  2. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

I can't tell you a whole lot, but those don’t look like much more than 5 watt speakers to me...there should be a manufacturer code stamped on the frames which would give us more concrete ID on the drivers, though that might not help your search that much.

Good Luck

3. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What are the dimensions of the cabinet? My first thought was Fender bass amp like a Musicmaster with a replaced baffle to use the 2x12 arrangement, but the top picuture shows a piggyback screw attachments and the tolex is not Fender. Can't think of a Sunn cabinet like that either so I got nothing.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Definitely not a Musicmaster Bass cab.....it's too wide (the MMBass had one 12" and no room for another) and had the "slanted top/front" like the head shown.
    I don't recognize that grill cloth from anywhere, so I wonder if it's not original.
    I, too, got nothing.

5. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member

Wow, thank you all for such quick replies. Nothing is stamped on the speaker chassis itself (unless it's under the label, which is glued down), but the back of the cone reads "LCC 2843". Kind of an odd code. The cabinet is 26.5" square, measured from the exterior.

6. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

I dont think those are piggyback screw holes. Look small like chassis screws.

Looks like sunn vinyl covering.

Look at sunn catalogs for 2-13 combos?

7. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member

Well would you look at that! Deep in a dark corner of the internet, I found a scan of the 1970 Sunn catalog. It appears to be a model called the "Dymos". The catalog even mentions the two "guitar transducers" and the 26.5" width. Although, the height measurement they give is just a bit off. Maybe it grew as it aged!

Sunn Dymos 2.jpg

Here's the catalog. Not sure I agree with its assessment of the amplifier as "compact".

http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Sunn_Amps_1970_Catalog.pdf

8. Drak

Drak Tele-Holic

Wowza, that's an awesome find.
    You go Internet!

9. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

I think a lot of people here, really get off on sleuthing about subjects like this...that was an amazing bit of detective work! :cool:

Telekarster likes this.
  10. koolaide

koolaide Tele-Holic

I guess amps are not like people. I shrank as I aged.:rolleyes:

2HBStrat likes this.
  11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Those speakers are either Eminence or CTS, I am thinking....maybe 25-30 watt handling each.

12. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

No codes on the sides of the magnet assemblies?. You're right, they could be under the labels, probably Eminence Alnicos I would think.
    Al

13. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member

Nope, no codes on the sides. I guess the good people of the Sunn corporation didn’t have any concern for Internet sleuths half a century later.

I’m not sure what the power rating of the speakers is, but I’ve been using them with the Bassman for a long time and they haven’t blown up yet! They’re ostensibly 16 ohms, but one of them is measuring a little less than 13.

Some more digging has told me that this model was only made for two years (1969-70). Talk about esoteric.

14. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Afflicted

That's the correct resistance reading for a 16 ohm impedance speaker.
    Al

Wally likes this.
  15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

if they are wired in parallel, then you have an 8 ohmmload on an OT that is looking for 4 ohms and which was set up by Fender to run safely on a 2 ohm load. Many people have run loads like this that were a 100% mismatch to the high side with seemingly no ill effects. However, with such a mismatch the possibility of flyback voltage from the speaker damaging the OT secondary is increased...especially if one pushes the amp hard. Flyback voltage can pierce the insulation of the windings and cause problems from a sudden failure to the more common gradual deterioration of the OT....decreased output and degraded Sonics.
    A mismatch to the low side puts the stress on the primary side of the OT...primarily the power tubes.

Esoteric??? Not really since many folks would understand the amp.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=esoteric+definition&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
    Rare?? I suppose so, but there are even Fender amps that are much rarer. Take the AA165 Bassman.....many techs will never see one of these circuits. I may have seen one. One can see the AA165 tube chart, but it is almost always in a head which holds an AB165 circuit. They did not produce the AA165 circuit for very long at all....a matter of months at the most would be my guess since I have seen early 1965 AB165 circuits. Fwiw, the ‘165’ in those two circuit designations indicate January, 1965 with the AB being a modification of the AA.

16. 72_Custom

72_Custom TDPRI Member

Thanks for the in depth analysis. I had always operated under the “if the speaker impedance is equal to or greater than that of the amplifier, you’re in the clear” school of thought. I guess I never considered the potential long term ramifications. I have been meaning to pick up one of the Mojotone Bassman cab clones; this is as good of an excuse as any.

Ah, the mythical AA165 circuit. As elusive as Bigfoot. I also suffer from the wrong tube chart syndrome. Mine is labeled as an AB165, but a look under the hood reveals to actually be an AC568. (I also have a mid-70s Princeton Non-Reverb with a PR chart!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.