1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help Identify Late 60's Fender Speaker?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by iluvchiclets, Jan 15, 2014.

1. iluvchiclets

iluvchiclets Tele-Meister

Hi everyone,

I have two 12" Fender speakers I took from a large Fender speaker cabinet. I did not know a lot about Fender cabs, but when a co-worker told me he had a Fender cab that was water-damaged, I said I would like to take the speakers.

I spent an hour pulling the thing apart, took what I though was worthy (speakers, grille cloth, Fender logo) and then we threw the cabinet out on the curb.

About a week later I tried looking up photos of what cab it was, and I felt a kind of sick feeling! It was some sort of drip-edge era cabinet - that much I know because I recall the silver trim around the front of the cloth. I figure it was perhaps a late 60's Bassman cab? I should have just taken the whole thing...crap...

I am now trying to put these speakers into a cab, but don't know the wattage, ohms etc... I have included a picture of one of the speakers. There are a few codes on the speaker to go by. On the frame there are three different sets of numbers:

- S0734 (or is it 80735?)
    - 312NA - C8220-3 (the first 3 of this number looks reversed? Perhaps a letter "e" or an 8?)

And, on the speaker cone itself:
    - 3012B21WI

Do we know what the wattage of these speakers are? Ohms? Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Starrman44

Starrman44 Tele-Afflicted

My guess is a Jensen from the 220531 and looking up "fender speaker 68 jensen" on an image search. It looks like the baskets match.

I'm no expert, at all, though. Good luck finding answers.

3. iluvchiclets

Thank you for the reply,

I did see some different speaker pics, but they all had a different frame. Perhaps there were different frames by different manufacturers? Also, is there a way to know the wattage of the speaker by the codes?

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Having once owned a late '60 Bassman amp I'm gonna tax my memory and take a shot in the dark here. This is what I believe was the stock speaker in those cabinets. I ended up replacing mine with JBLs soon after I bought the amp but I'm almost certain these were what was in there or something very similar.

http://www.jensentone.com/speaker/c12n

They were 50w speakers and since IIRC a Bassman ran 4 ohms I'm thinking the ones you have are the 8 ohm models. Jensen also has 4 ohm and 16 ohm models of that speaker. If you called Fender Customer Service someone there might be able to give you a better answer but lacking that what you have appear to be Jensens.

5. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

The code 220531 would indicate a Jensen speaker probably 75 would be my guess (the 5 would indicate 65,75) manufactured in the 31rst week. Could you be misreading the 5 and it is an 8) The code you cannot read is C12NA A common Fender 12" speaker. Here are two that just sold on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Jen...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item27d9772cd8 They would be rated about 50 watts apiece. Shame you destroyed the cabinet, but it may have been beyond saving as is.

6. iluvchiclets

Thank you for the replies,

I guess I can check the ohms by using a ohm-meter across the terminals. The wattage is of more interest to me though. Seeing as two readers suggested they are 50 watt speakers, I will take that to be the truth then!

The reason I thought they were late 60s speakers was because the cabinet was so unique looking. Possibly 1965 speakers? Or, possibly replaced later with 1975 speakers?

7. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Looks like a C12N to me.

8. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Interesting to check the DCR.

Can't be 1975, as Jensen was done by then. These almost have to be 68-69.

First, the decals are correct for 68 era Jensens, and I'm guessing based on your description of the presence of the drip edge (1968 era Fender) that the original cabinet was also 68ish.

By this time Jensen was really in rough waters. Maybe junior stamper boy at the Jensen factory got the rubber stamp setup wrong, and it is really the 35th week of 196(7) but the code is simply sequenced wrong?

A late 1967 Jensen speaker mfg date would work very nicely with a 1968 era Fender drip edge 2x12 Bassman cabinet.

(but it can't be 197(5), as Jensen was out of the loudspeaker biz well before 75.)

Let us know the DCR. By the original wiring present, they appear to have been wired parallel.

9. kavalero

kavalero Tele-Meister

C12N/A

10. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jensen C12N. I have a pair in an old "Sound X505" amp.

11. iluvchiclets

Thank you for all the replies!

CoolBlueGlow - I appreciate your information. It's interesting to note that the label and history of Jensen leads me to believe they were 60's speakers.

I think it's safe to assume they are C12N/A speakers, at 50 watts and 8ohm according to my multi-meter.

I don't know what DCR means? The second speaker of the pair has the date code "220641"

12. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

DCR = DC Resistance, the measurement in ohms of a purely resistive circuit. Similar to, but not the same as (average) loudspeaker impedance.

220 = Jensen
    6= 1966
    41 = week 41

Matches up nicely to the pics :)

Cheers!

13. iluvchiclets

Hi once more,

Re: DCR - I used the ohms setting on my meter, and it came up with 7 or so...I think from past experience that would me 8ohms?

As far as the dating goes, is it unusual to have two speaker in the same cab with a different year code? Could the cab have come from Fender like that?

14. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes to both. DCR usually has a range of acceptable values and Fender is notorious for using what ever they laid their hands on at times. Necks, pots, pickups, speakers, transformers, etc. could all have somewhat different date codes.

15. iluvchiclets

Thank you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.