1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help Identify 335 Copy

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by zaraxisof, Jan 20, 2021.

1. zaraxisof

zaraxisof Tele-Meister

Hello everyone, found this no name 335 copy in local ads the other day. Unfortunately there is this pic only and seller appears know little things about or that's what he's saying anyway.

What could it be?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    nojazzhere likes this.
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Price? Since you can buy a Grote or Firefly 335-style for $160 or less brand new.....and they are a known quality guitar.....it would have to be super-cheap for me to give it a second look. That said, I'd have to examine it in person to even consider.
    Sorry.....

3. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Nice looking guitar. With a good neck and frets... $300.

zaraxisof likes this.
  4. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Hard to tell from that one photo but I lean towards it being one of those entry level Korean guitars that were made for dozens of distributor owned brands from the late 80s to early 2000s. They show up from time to time with nothing on the headstock.

If that's the case it will be an ok guitar, although not really any better than the current crop of entry level Chinese 335s. Worth a punt if it's cheap and you like the look of it.

zaraxisof and nojazzhere like this.
  5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Hard to tell from that one photo but I lean towards it being one of those entry level Korean guitars that were made for dozens of distributor owned brands from the late 80s to early 2000s. They show up from time to time with nothing on the headstock.

If that's the case it will be an ok guitar, although not really any better than the current crop of entry level Chinese 335s. Worth a punt if it's cheap and you like the look of it.

zaraxisof and Fretting out like this.
  6. john_cribbin

john_cribbin Tele-Afflicted

I can see a label through the f hole, looks similar to an Epiphone one.

Can't be to hard for the seller to look at that surely ...

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It looks older...the tulip tuner buttons, truss rod access cover shape with three screws, droopy pickguard, and dots on the neck look a lot like a 70's Ventura (Japanese export).

nojazzhere and zaraxisof like this.
  8. zaraxisof

zaraxisof Tele-Meister

Yes that's why i was talking about "that's what he's saying anyway".

9. zaraxisof

zaraxisof Tele-Meister

It's under 100$ anyway but talked with seller and he will drop some pics from the label. Will see.
    PS. But then, if seller sees brand and start searching i may loose the advantage of bargain price.

10. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

Under $100? Snap it up.

11. nojazzhere

That would be my "gut" response as well, but there's always the chance of a snapped truss rod, warped or twisted neck, or several other maladies that would be difficult or expensive to fix. I'd still lean more toward one of the surprisingly good copies coming out of China.....especially if it came with a generous return policy. ;)

zaraxisof likes this.
  12. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul Tele-Meister

All true...but I'd venture most (if not all) of us have blown $100 on more frivolous things multiple times.

Even if your worst-case scenario comes to pass, the OP could likely get more than $100 worth of parts from the purchase...and if it doesn't, he scored a great deal.

zaraxisof likes this.
  13. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

150 dollars at Guitar Fetish now. No name on headstock. They have sunburst for more $$$$.
    [​IMG]

nojazzhere and zaraxisof like this.
  14. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I have one of those old Venturas in the picture attached. Great guitar that can do Jazz and Rockabilly. The pickups are not Fiddletrons or Filtertrons but some kind of Humbucking Hybrid and they sound pretty good for what do.

Ventura.jpg

zaraxisof and Peegoo like this.
  15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

I forgot to add to my post.

FOR $100 GRAB IT!

zaraxisof likes this.
  16. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I have an older 70s/80s MIK 'no-name' like that; it's labeled Threestar (three star) in the F hole and there's no logo on the headstock.

Most of these sorts of guitars were built in Japan under contract by Terada, Fujigen, and others for musical instrument distributors/retailers and department stores.

This one has a huge fat neck with largish frets, and it's a brick @8.6 lbs. I found it as a stripped husk (no hardware) at a guitar show around 2005. It was priced $70 and the truss rod worked, so I offered $50 and the deal was done. I leveled and polished the frets, installed orphaned hardware, and dropped in a set of Stooge Mac Parsons Street humbuckers back when they were $35 each (what a deal!). This has a master vol and master tone, and I plugged the other two holes.

It plays and sounds really good plugged in. I looked 'em up online and appears the Threestar brand is now based in China.

[​IMG]

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It could literally be anything, but well worth it for $100.

zaraxisof likes this.
  18. zaraxisof

zaraxisof Tele-Meister

Nice inputs and pics guys. Turned out to be a Chinese no name copy from 00s or smthng. Won't go for it, have found many real old copies for little bucks in the past, with patience you can find anything.

19. nojazzhere

Can't find them on website now.....I believe they're sold out. Other decent looking 335-types available, but priced $259-279.
    I'd go with this....https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HYF5GWN/?tag=tdpri-20

20. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Hard to tell. If we could see the headstock shape that would help. Ask the seller to look inside the body, the sticker should tell you what it is. Is it a set neck or bolt on? The input jack being on top of the body is interesting.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.