Help Identify 335 Copy

zaraxisof

Tele-Meister
Hello everyone, found this no name 335 copy in local ads the other day. Unfortunately there is this pic only and seller appears know little things about or that's what he's saying anyway.

What could it be?

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_191654.jpg
    IMG_20210120_191654.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Hello everyone, found this no name 335 copy in local ads the other day. Unfortunately there is this pic only and seller appears know little things about or that's what he's saying anyway.

What could it be?
Price? Since you can buy a Grote or Firefly 335-style for $160 or less brand new.....and they are a known quality guitar.....it would have to be super-cheap for me to give it a second look. That said, I'd have to examine it in person to even consider.
Sorry.....

jayyj

Tele-Afflicted
Hard to tell from that one photo but I lean towards it being one of those entry level Korean guitars that were made for dozens of distributor owned brands from the late 80s to early 2000s. They show up from time to time with nothing on the headstock.

If that's the case it will be an ok guitar, although not really any better than the current crop of entry level Chinese 335s. Worth a punt if it's cheap and you like the look of it.

jayyj

Tele-Afflicted
Hard to tell from that one photo but I lean towards it being one of those entry level Korean guitars that were made for dozens of distributor owned brands from the late 80s to early 2000s. They show up from time to time with nothing on the headstock.

If that's the case it will be an ok guitar, although not really any better than the current crop of entry level Chinese 335s. Worth a punt if it's cheap and you like the look of it.

zaraxisof

Tele-Meister
It's under 100$ anyway but talked with seller and he will drop some pics from the label. Will see.
PS. But then, if seller sees brand and start searching i may loose the advantage of bargain price.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Under $100? Snap it up.
That would be my "gut" response as well, but there's always the chance of a snapped truss rod, warped or twisted neck, or several other maladies that would be difficult or expensive to fix. I'd still lean more toward one of the surprisingly good copies coming out of China.....especially if it came with a generous return policy. ;)

Mr. St. Paul

Tele-Holic
That would be my "gut" response as well, but there's always the chance of a snapped truss rod, warped or twisted neck, or several other maladies that would be difficult or expensive to fix. I'd still lean more toward one of the surprisingly good copies coming out of China.....especially if it came with a generous return policy. ;)

All true...but I'd venture most (if not all) of us have blown $100 on more frivolous things multiple times.

Even if your worst-case scenario comes to pass, the OP could likely get more than $100 worth of parts from the purchase...and if it doesn't, he scored a great deal.

Preacher

Poster Extraordinaire
It looks older...the tulip tuner buttons, truss rod access cover shape with three screws, droopy pickguard, and dots on the neck look a lot like a 70's Ventura (Japanese export).

I have one of those old Venturas in the picture attached. Great guitar that can do Jazz and Rockabilly. The pickups are not Fiddletrons or Filtertrons but some kind of Humbucking Hybrid and they sound pretty good for what do.

Ventura.jpg

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I have an older 70s/80s MIK 'no-name' like that; it's labeled Threestar (three star) in the F hole and there's no logo on the headstock.

Most of these sorts of guitars were built in Japan under contract by Terada, Fujigen, and others for musical instrument distributors/retailers and department stores.

This one has a huge fat neck with largish frets, and it's a brick @8.6 lbs. I found it as a stripped husk (no hardware) at a guitar show around 2005. It was priced $70 and the truss rod worked, so I offered $50 and the deal was done. I leveled and polished the frets, installed orphaned hardware, and dropped in a set of Stooge Mac Parsons Street humbuckers back when they were $35 each (what a deal!). This has a master vol and master tone, and I plugged the other two holes.

It plays and sounds really good plugged in. I looked 'em up online and appears the Threestar brand is now based in China.

Three-Star-335-copy.jpg

zaraxisof

Tele-Meister
Nice inputs and pics guys. Turned out to be a Chinese no name copy from 00s or smthng. Won't go for it, have found many real old copies for little bucks in the past, with patience you can find anything.

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Hard to tell. If we could see the headstock shape that would help. Ask the seller to look inside the body, the sticker should tell you what it is. Is it a set neck or bolt on? The input jack being on top of the body is interesting.