Help ID this LP custom husk?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Mudman32, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

This thing is rough, anyone ID the year or if it’s legit? Given the poor condition (headstock repair, refinned back of neck, and poor paint elsewhere), what is it worth?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks all!

2. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted

is the serial number 805508 or 8055086?

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

My initial reaction is ... a Chibson. mostly based on the too-big diamond and mis-located Gibson logo that itself is a bit .. odd, like the 's' has too much kerning and is tipped.

You'll have a fun project regardless. Keep showing pictures as you bring it back to playability!

Jwalker99 and fenderchamp like this.
  4. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

I didn’t buy it yet - seemed a bit odd so wanted to know ideas first. Guy’s taken down the listing, so who knows

5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I'm no expert in vintage LPs, and if you're thinking of dropping more than pocket change on it I would run it past one of the Les Paul forums or the vintage section of TGP for someone that's spent proper quality time poking around in them to come in.

However, since it's fun taking a stab at these things, educated guess is that it's a late 60s guitar - possibly '68 due to the dot over the i (often but not always missing from '69 logos) and the cavity rout. The headstock veneer looks right for that era, it's a mahogany neck with no volute and no Made In USA (both introduced at the end of '69), it's never had a Nashville style bridge. The serial number was used over a few years but '68 is an option. That's definitely not a 50s headstock so it's not earlier, and there were 'reissue' Les Pauls with some more vintage correct features in the 70s but they're still fairly easily identified as 70s guitars. So my vote is late 60s.

It's a mess though. I've no idea whether it was a three pickup guitar originally - I think there were a handful of three pickup ones from that era - and obviously the finish is a disaster and the binding as bad. The tuners don't look like they belonged with the guitar, way too clean and I thought late 60s Customs came with wafflebacks.

Still, it could be an interesting project at the right price. A rebind and refinish and some nice pickups and it could be a great instrument.

That leaning S is typical of late 60s and nothing else looks off for that era. Remember once you get away from recent guitars Gibson have been through an absolute ton of small changes to the logo and headstock layout over the last 60 years.

6. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

My first reaction is it's not a Chibson because the serial number looks nothing like a Chibson's one would, and it's missing the customary "MADE IN USA" right under.

Is it real? I don't know.

7. Jim603

Jim603 Tele-Meister

Looks like the headstock veneer from a real Gibson was poorly glued on to something else. The binding does not match the rest of the guitar and it looks like is was badly damaged when it was removed from the original guitar. I'd stay away from that one.

8. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I’d like a closer look at the frets and neck binding. Are the frets almost flat? (Fretless wonder style). How about nibs on fret ends?

I’m no expert (but I do own a 73 LPC), but I don’t think those details were copied on most of the Chibsons.

If it’s real the lack of volute and made in USA does date it to ~68.

9. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

Thanks all. I was thinking 68-69 as well. The guy refuses to set a price (no lowballers, I know what it’s worth) but also thinks it’s from the 80’s (clearly not). So I think I’ll just throw my hands up and walk away. I wouldn’t be more than 3-500 in it’s current state, which is probably low ball to him.

10. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Funny how often those words are followed up by you giving the seller a broad grin, slapping him on the back and saying 'I wish you the best of luck with it, dude!', then walking off chuckling...

Deeve likes this.
  11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Especially from a seller that cant validate anything he's claiming.

Deeve and jayyj like this.
  12. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

'I don't know what it is, but I know what it's worth!'

bender66 likes this.
  13. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Truss rod cover does not look like a Chibson one.

First fret marker looks crooked. Nut looks unusable.

14. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Whatever it is, it looks like a great project. Let us know if you go for it!

15. Mudman32

Mudman32 Tele-Meister

He just wrote back. $700. I may have to post it over to the LP forum and see if he’d take $500.

16. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

That's a reasonable price if it's a '68. There's a guy I've worked with in the UK - he did the restoration on my avatar guitar - that would be all over this and places like Historic Makeovers your side of the pond that could do incredible work. It would be easy enough to make a player out of it for relatively little investment, or a top notch refinish and restoration with correct parts would still probably bring you out a bit lower than the street value of a refinned '68. I can't help imagining a three pickup black beauty with a Bigsby here...

It's ages since I've been on the Les Paul forms but I'm sure someone there will be able to confirm the likely year. If not there's a few people on TGP that would know, just post in the vintage section and I'll tag a couple.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.