Help ID-ing neck pickup from Bill Crook

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by theprofessor, Apr 7, 2019.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Hi everyone -

I just picked up a loaded Telecaster body, as I'm putting together a partscaster for a friend. The bridge pickup is a Peter Florance Voodoo TE62, but the neck pickup merely says "Crook" on it. It measures 7.73kΩ on my multimeter. Any idea of more specifics? Is this perhaps a Florance-made proprietary pickup for Bill Crook?

[​IMG]

2. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Not really sure, but it looks a lot like the APC neck pup that's in my Crook Double Cutaway Lesquire.
    I'd shoot him an email pic of it.

theprofessor likes this.
  3. theprofessor

I emailed Mr. Crook, and he told me that this is a pickup made by Peter Florance exclusively for his guitars. I did not want to bother him for further information, so that's what I've got: a proprietary Florance Tele neck pickup for Bill Crook that measures about 7.7kΩ.

4. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

Cool. Glad you got the info.

5. theprofessor

I also contacted Peter Florance, who confirmed that it is an AlNiCo 5 pickup. So: A5 with a DCR of about 7.7kΩ in a Tele neck pickup made by Peter Florance for Bill Crook.

scrimmer likes this.
  6. theprofessor

Mr. Florance simply calls this the "Crook neck pickup," I believe. I like it so much, I've ordered one for myself. It's the best Tele neck pickup I've ever heard. Beautiful and clear, but with a lot of harmonics and a little hair on it.

7. theprofessor

I just received mine yesterday. My Peter Florance "Crook" Tele neck pickup measures 7.88k on my multimeter. I love the sound. Just the right amount of midrange without being "honky" and very clear treble. Gorgeous.

I removed the ground strap from the cover and added a third wire from the cover so that it can be used with a 4-way switch. The pickup is SOUTH top-poled.

IMG_1233.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.