1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HELP I just bought a VC30 and it's crackling!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jonny munksville, Jan 24, 2009.

1. jonny munksville

jonny munksville Tele-Meister

Hello

bought a second hand Laney VC30 from ebay one week ago, and having now had the chance to turn it up about 2 in my flat, I have noticed a prominent crackling sound on both channels. Can anyone here point me in the right direction of what to do?

I'm considering asking for my money back, or at least for the cost of repair.

Thanks
    Jonny

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Tubes, dirty tube sockets, bad component/connection, bad speaker/connection....
    many possibilities. Make sure that the tubes are well-seated...wiggle them as you push them into the socket whiel the amp is off and the tubes are cool. Wiggle the visible speaker connections with the amp operating. IF the crackles persist, wiggle and tap on the tubes one-by-one to see if the crackle makes itself evident while doing this test.
    IF these simple tests don't help, the problem is probably internal and it is tech time...or reutrn time..

3. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

After that do all the wiggling with it on. Wiggle tubes, plugs, jacks , wires, all pots and check effects loop also. Hopefully and typically its one of these components. If not start jiggling the insides with a chopstick (not a metal one :)

4. kcp

kcp TDPRI Member

get your money back, i bought a new ac30cc2 in december 2008, the first one from the store had some very loug crackling when strummed hard and at higher volume, i took it back to the store which they replaced it with another new one, if you got this on ebay and especially for a good price chances are the seller knew of this condition

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.