Help getting overdrive tones out of a fender PRRI without fizz...?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by NMAC, Jan 3, 2018.

1. NMAC

NMAC TDPRI Member

I recently acquired a fender Princeton reverb reissue in fudge brownie tolex with a Jensen p10q speaker. Overall it sounds really great clean.
    And I chose this over a 68 custom Princeton reverb for the clean tone.
    However after having it for about a month, I find that I'm getting a lot of Fizz with overdrive. And particularly when I use my fulltone OCD pedal and even with my Ibanez ts9 at higher gain settings.

I'm not sure if this is due to the Princeton reverb just having issues with overdrive or if it has to do with the speaker selection. I am thinking about putting a celestion 10 30 speaker in it, as it is a cheap speaker. and I could try out a celestion in its place. This the speaker used in the 68 custom Princeton reverb by the way.

I'm wondering if anyone else has any other suggestions to make the overdrive smoother and more pleasant??...

For your information I'm using an American Standard Stratocaster with 57/62 pickups and also a 52 reissue Telecaster stock. And a Gibson Les Paul with classic 57 pickups. The Strat and the tele do better with less Fizz but the Gibson with the higher output definitely fizzes out more with overdrive.

2. fitflatpicker

fitflatpicker TDPRI Member

I’m not an amp expert, but when running sound I have had good players whose pedal board gains have crept up and they are hitting the input stage too hard. The problem was solved by backing down the compressor out volume or overdrive output volume and turning up the volume circuit on the amp. This may not be your case, but it’s worth a shot.

AxemanVR likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

The speaker change might make a bit of difference, but perhaps only if you are getting ice pick high end when clean.
    Other obvious suggestions:

roll off the top on the tone on the guitars
    maybe also an EQ pedal to shape and take the upper frequencies down a shade.
    use a different OD that accentuates mid frequencies

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If fizz could also be construed as fartiness in the low end, PRs are famous for this. They tend to be difficult with overdrive pedals.

I used to know this... I can't remember if it's the cab/speaker, or the bias vary trem that makes the power section act differently.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Grid stopper on the phase inverter is what works for me.

JD0x0 and moosie like this.
  6. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It's the cathodyne-style phase inverter. A holdover from Tweed era amps which are prone to the same thing. Bear in mind when it was engineered there were no overdrives.

If you add a grid blocking resistor to the PI input you can cut this braappy fartiness down. I added a 220k resistor to my Excelsior (same issue) and overdrive is now usable.

https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm#Phase_Inverter_Grid_Stopper_Resistor

Thanks to Rob Robinette for his excellent compilation bid articles.

Thin69 and moosie like this.
  7. schotter611

schotter611 Tele-Holic

My PRRI got better OD using a Celestion loaded cab. Having sold mine, I often wonder if a 12" baffle/Greenback wouldn't have done the trick. I'd try the Celestion first.

8. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

'
    I can't speak to the PRRI specifically, but I have experienced some Fender amps that just don't take to overdrive or distortion very well and I think it can be a potentially fruitless and expensive venture when you're already contemplating replacing things like speakers.

Might I suggest you bring your amp to the local guitar shop and try several different overdrive, distortion and even booster pedals to see if any of them play well with your amp (hopefully you can crank it to a usable level).

Maybe you can even try different speaker cabs at the same time (if they're available).

If none of this seems to improve things considerably then I'd be looking for a different amp if I were you... as opposed to the hit-or-miss-money-pit approach of upgrading-and-modifying an amp that may-or-may-not ever have "it" for you.

Just my 2 cent worth...

Good Luck!

'

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  9. InkStained

InkStained Tele-Meister

The only thing that worked for me was replacing my Jensen with an Eminence Ragin Cajun. Your mileage definitely may vary.

10. jamieorc

jamieorc Tele-Holic

That grid stopper and explanation is quite interesting. Thanks for that and the link.

11. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, I was going to say. That amp probably needs grid stoppers. A lot of vintage designs leave them out, and it's not good if the amp is being truly 'pushed' as lack of grid stoppers can cause blocking distortion.
    I'd try a different speaker, as well. It seems some of those jensens can sound a bit brittle and fizzy.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.