Help getting jack socket out..And 250k to 500k pot swap on Deluxe

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 9barbp, Dec 19, 2016.

1. 9barbp

9barbp TDPRI Member

I really need some help on getting my Classic 50s Telecaster back together..I need help on how to get the jack socket out as the whole thing just spins and I can't work out how to grip it from the inside to loosen the nut..Any help would be really appreciated..While I'm here I've also just picked up a 72 Deluxe reissue and it seems a lot of people are telling me to change out the 250k pots for 500k pots..Is this a good idea? How will it alter the sound? Thanks for any help on either! IMG_20161126_133519.jpg IMG_20161126_133143.jpg

2. deadicated

deadicated Tele-Holic

Those Tele jacks are funny things there either falling out or you can't get them out. They make a tool specifically for that purpose I think it's called the Bullet or something like that. Upgrade to an electrostatic or Gibby style square plate when you get it out. You won't regret it. 500k pots will let more highs through.

3. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

To fix the loose jack. Take off the control plate so you can stick you finger in there and stop the rotation as you tighten up the jam nut. If it were mine, I would simply replace the Fender input jack setup altogether and use the Electrosocket instead.
    As for the pot values on the Deluxe.....are you happy with the tone? If so leave it alone. If not, you are in for a bit of work to swap that many pots and probably caps out. You might prefer the 500K pots if you want more treble. You might prefer the 1Meg pots if you want even more treble. With either of them you will gain a lot of Tone Control influence from the Tone pots. You will probably find yourself turning down some treble on occasion. Not a bad thing to have at your command.
    Good luck on your project,
    Rob

4. wayloncash

wayloncash Tele-Afflicted

I used tiny needle nose to remove input socket the one with pointed edges that dig into sides. I think if I remember correctly you have to push it in a little deeper then pull it out. I really can't remember, but yeah electrosocket for.sure.

5. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Bullet jack tool works great.

You can sometimes jam something into the open end of the jack (think drumstick or a pair of chop stiks) and hold it steady while working on the nut around whatever you jammed into the jack. You can sometimes get to the tip contact of the jack through the control cavity with a pair of needle nose pliers and hold it that way.

In any case, if the jack has been turning chances are that the wires are twisted up. That can mean that inserting a plug into the jack will break a wire, or that a wire has already broken. It's a good idea to remove the jack and look things over, then tighten it back down.

Going to 500K pots will brighten the sound.

6. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Before the "bullet" tool there was the jack-the-gripper, which is a very sturdy and useful tool. It's essential for hollowbodies or thin-lines.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.