Help for Old iMac?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Hoodster, Dec 26, 2018.

1. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

I'm running a 2008 iMac. Ever since I updated to El Capitan years ago various software (including iMovie and iPhoto) have been buggy, and within the past 6 months the whole machine has been slowing down.

2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 257 GB storage free

Is there anything I can do to salvage a few more years out of this beast?

2. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic

You might check to see if RAM can be added for a reasonable price. That may help the speed some but I wouldn't spend a ton. Go to the Apple menu (upper left) and select About This Mac, and then check for available memory slots.

Take a look at the installed Activity Monitor utility to see what's consuming resources.

DHart likes this.
  3. Mr.Ike

Mr.Ike Tele-Meister

Apple wants you to purchase a new machine. I now use the old one for the Mrs. to do her work out videos. Sorry to be The bearer of bad news. I got 10 years out of mine before it was basically useless. You can try to hang on, but it just becomes painfully slow.

SacDAve and gee. like this.
  4. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Tele-Meister

Unfortunately as pointed out - core 2 duo based machines are long in the tooth for anything other than web and email.

bparnell57 likes this.
  5. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

A clean install of the OS should help you squeeze more service outa your iMac.

gee., codamedia and DavidSchwab like this.
  6. DavidSchwab

DavidSchwab TDPRI Member

I’ve got an early 2009 iMac. It’s running El Cap. I have it maxed out with 8GB of RAM.

It’s starting to be really sluggish. A lot of that is the hard drive.

At my day job I use an Early 2009 Mac Pro tower. It does have a Quad-Core Xeon vs. the Core 2 Duo, but it also has an SSD for the boot drive. It’s a nice fast Mac.

I’m contemplating getting a newer iMac. I run Logic Pro X as my main DAW. I generally don’t have issues, but a few rather dense projects start to give me slow CPU errors.

If you can’t afford a new Mac, check out something like macofalltrades.com

I bought this iMac refurbished back in 2011 for a lot less than a new one.

The Mac I had before this one was a 2000 G4 Digital Audio. That lasted me until 2011, although I did update the CPU.

7. DavidSchwab

DavidSchwab TDPRI Member

This is a good point, and part is the drive becomes very fragmented. Every so often I run iDefrag which really helps.

8. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

I finally had to bite the bullet and buy a new iMac.

For my 2007 iMac, I have it using OSX 10.6.8 and only use it as a media center. Mail is ok but web browsers must be avoided.

Now, it’s what I play my Hal Leonard and Aebersolds with, on screen for the sheet music and with the audible music routed through the stereo.

9. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

Adding ram and going to an SSD may help you squeeze some more life out of it, but 10 years for a PC is considered pretty darn good. I don't know if I'd put any more money into it at this point.

codamedia and DavidSchwab like this.
  10. Hoodster

Hoodster Friend of Leo's

Thanks so much for all the great responses!

DavidSchwab likes this.
  11. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

My 2010 27" iMac just fell off the upgrade path last September I think. When they released the new MAC OS Mojave, it isn't certified for my old machine. I guess these old Macs just keep going. I'm keeping it on the old OS, and using it for email etc., and as a monitor for the new Mac mini. But you can buy refurbished macs pretty cheap, and the mac mini is worth looking into, especially if you can use your old mac as a screen. Monitors are pretty cheap now anyway, but it's an option.

12. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2011 21.5" iMac that earlier this year I upgraded to 16GB of RAM, and an SSD. I'm running El Capitan and am not planning on upgrading the OS as everything is currently running extremely smooth. This put a LOT of new life into my old machine, and I'm hoping it will get me by a little longer. This $500 upgrade wasn't cheap, but a heck of a lot cheaper than a whole new machine, and very much worth it IMHO. Of course, YMMV.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI forum mobile app

13. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Increase RAM, install an SSD for primary operation (keep an older drive for storage), and do a fresh install with only the stuff you need.

It's not Apple, it's the entire industry. As machines, ram, video and drives get faster - software all becomes more bloated to make use of that speed so comparably, nothing really gets any faster ;)

DHart likes this.
  14. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted

It’s a 10 year old iMac, if it was a pc, it would have been done for 8 years ago. If they only wanted you to buy a new one every10 years, they would have been out of business a long time ago. I’m using a 24” 2009, but just for recording.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Nicholas and DavidSchwab like this.
  15. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

I guess my system blows that theory completely out of the water. My primary machine is a 10 year old Intel Quad Core PC (pre i series) with 8 gig of ram running Windows 10. It chugs along at a fine enough clip for me. For recording I run Studio One, Superior Drummer and a hand full of waves plugins, but I don't run a lot of soft synths.

16. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

I've got a late 2012 iMac and, from what I can gather, the latest OS "Swamp Donkey" or "Mojave" or something....is the last one I'll get to upgrade to.

One option is to have a look at YouTube and search for "speed up my iMac" (and similar) as there'll be a load of potential help on there. If you're on any of the official Apple / Mac forums, they could also be of use.

17. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Def. reinstall OS, but it kind of sucks they screw you over by not letting you install an older OS which runs better.

18. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Tele-Meister

I'm on a 2011 MBP running Sierra. Barring a hack, it is as far as it will ever go. I had a 2007 iMac which became obsolete ( to me) last year. I'd say it's time for a new machine brother.

19. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

It depends on what you want to squeeze out of it. The general tips of Ram, SSD and clean install of the OS are all bang on. I have a 2009 MacBook that will still run an older version of Adobe CS, but I don't really expect a ton else out of it at that age.

20. tdu

tdu Friend of Leo's

If he has the original install disks or access to installers, he can do a clean install of whatever os he wants and not upgrade any further than it's security patches.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.