Help! First guitar for 9-year-old daughter

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Traitor Joe, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Traitor Joe

Traitor Joe TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I see what you're saying and like your quality analogy a lot but I don't think it quite applies in a case like this. Sure, she might think the Hello Kitty guitar (for example) is of higher quality because she likes it and can relate to it more, but when we're talking about the build quality of an instrument, a guitar of unquestionably higher quality will open more doors for the advancement of her musicianship than the lower quality one with her favorite cartoon painted on it.

2. Traitor Joe

Thank you for this. I'm beginning to believe that if she has the passion for guitar that learning how to play it requires, she will discover that passion on an acoustic just fine. I was honestly more on team electric for the "coolness factor" of it but I don't think the coolness factor breeds passion.

Is that blue guitar one of the cheap Rogues from Musicians Friend? Are they any good?

3. Mr Joad

Mr Joad Tele-Meister

I have no tips what to buy but a quality guitar is easy to sell if she loose interest.
    When my first doughter was born I bought her a Gibson Les Paul jr. My second doughter got a heavily modified (by me) squier affinity tele with a slim body and neck. Beutiful guitars. They are 3.5 and 1.5 yrs so while they have strummed alot they are not really in playing them yet

4. Traitor Joe

That's a nice one. I think we'll save this for her 2nd guitar though. I am hoping to spend closer to $150 or a little less.

Does anyone think I'm being too optimistic about finding a good quality acoustic for <=$150?

Thanks a lot.

5. Traitor Joe

I like this a lot. The price is justifiable as well I think.

Am I correct in assuming I can put nylon strings on this if the steel ones are too painful at first?

6. Traitor Joe

Thank you. I hadn't even considered nut width!

7. Jmatheny9529

Jmatheny9529 TDPRI Member

take her to the shop and let her pick it out. No matter if you are 9 or 59, the guitar that speaks to you and inspires you will be the guitar that you always want to pick up and never want to put down. That's the guitar that will make you a better player and stay with in for longer.

Honest Charley and Traitor Joe like this.
  8. Traitor Joe

I love those new olive green & maple Mustangs but I think that's down the road. The Squier Duo-Sonic I'm considering is $225 which is already over what I want to play but I can justify it if I can play it when she's not around/asleep!

9. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I've been considering getting my little guy one of those loog guitar kits. I'd have him "help" me build it, get that bug going too. And it only has 3 strings, so it's maybe not as daunting as a 6 string. They're a little more pricey than the squier mini line, but seem to be of higher quality.

10. Traitor Joe

11. Traitor Joe

Hmm that's something I have not considered. Thanks!

12. Tom in Georgia

Tom in Georgia TDPRI Member

When my son asked for his first guitar at 6, I took him to GC and pointed out a few "little guy" models that he could pick from. He ended up choosing a black and white Squier Mini because it looked like one that he had seen Clapton play. It's a decent guitar for the money and not much more than some of the toy ones at ToysRUs. I figure that it will work until he is about 12 if he sticks with it. Now he wants a bass! I'm thinking about the Ibanez Mikro. So be careful, guitars can become addictive at an early age.
    Merry Christmas,
    Tom

Traitor Joe likes this.
  13. Traitor Joe

As much as I agree with this, I want to put as little pressure on her starting to play as possible. I fear that if she picks it out and ends up not liking it, she'll develop negativity around guitar playing because she's terrified of letting her mother down. Maybe I'm overthinking it though. I just really want to avoid being that Dad that forces his interests on his kids.

14. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

That one I can't answer. That's a question for the guys over at Acoustic Heaven (sub forum here).

15. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Very true.

You could not be more wrong, depending on age/child. My daughter at 9 likely wouldn't care, she likes cute and silly. My son (now 11) at that same age knew nothing but "brands": what the sports heroes are wearing, how much things cost, how many like on YouTube, etc. VERY susceptible to marketing influence. I constantly have to talk to him about it. I grew up in an affluent area and my store brand shoes got me made fun of when the other kids had Nikes.

16. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's

It's braced for steel strings, so nylon probably won't make a lot of sound, and you'd have to recut the nut to fit fatter nylon strings. But it could work fine for learning. You might also try putting skinny electric strings on it for a softer action.

bender66 likes this.
  17. kingoflimbs

kingoflimbs Tele-Meister

well what is going to be the catalyst to get her to pick up the guitar and play with it. is it going to be her favorite color or cartoon or is it going to be daddy's hotrails. it may be the hotrails. i don't know.

18. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Duo-Sonic. When one of my crotch-fruit wanted a guitar, at around 9 years old, I followed conventional wisdom and bought a 3/4 nylon string. He hated it. Two years later I bought what I should have bought in the first place, an electric ( decent enough ) SG clone and a Marshall MG15DFX. Close enough to mine. For his birthday, he got a multi-FX unit. He still treasures them. If the passion is there, a decent guitar will spark it. Does she see/hear you play electric and that's what she wants?, if so, start on a decent electric.
    The mini-guitar will be outgrown. A Duo-Sonic remain cool.

jvin248 and JayFreddy like this.
  19. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Pawn shop down the street had one & played great. I wanted it for myself actually. Thank god he had it priced ridiculously.

Having bought my now 9yo a 3/4 scale strat last year (Rondo hasn't been mentioned?) i'm going to get her an acoustic. It's much easier to pick up on the fly for both of us. Looking for an old Yamaha FG 75 or Jr. I've had the 75 & sold it. It would have been perfect.

20. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

It's a Valencia brand..... the young girl's mum paid 10 bucks for it locally at a market.. ... it was covered in stickers and stick on diamonds and a lefty..

I cleaned all the crap off swapped the strings around polished it up and it came up like new....

believe me , when kids are into it, it's the first thing they pick up in the morning..... do you want to be woken up by soft nylon sounds?... or badly played electric through an amp?..... a kid isn't going to play unplugged if it's electric "like dads" and she has access to the amp....... it might take 6 months to get some smooth chord changes going on.... "cool" will go out the window then.....

setting rules for when she can or can't turn on...will be another deterrent to her playing....

at school, I have 9-10 yr old girls playing full size nylon guitars with wide nuts... they seem to cope alright... the younger kids like the 3/4 sized ones... if any kids want to start strumming one of the electrics in the rack at a lesson.. they don't get plugged in.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.