Help Finding Parts for Treble Bleed

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by OldPup, Apr 7, 2020.

1. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

I would love to install some treble bleed circuits in my HH style guitars. I have decided to wire them the way Fender does on the AmPro series, since I have a 2017 AmPro Tele and I love the way it sounds. I would like to track down a 1200pf cap, 0.022uf cap, 20k and 150k ohm resistors. I can find 0.001uf caps. This value does not line up exactly with 1200pf nominally, but is close. Are the two in fact interchangeable? Where does everyone go to find these components?

2. dunehunter

dunehunter Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

Mouser is a good source for all things electronic. I tend to go to them for highly specialized parts. Otherwise, I find almost everything at Antique Electronic Supply.

The difference between 1200 pF and 1000 pF is within 20%. Close enough, I think. Don't spend a lot of money on this--Fender buys stuff in bulk and gets huge discounts. Just get close enough and I think you'll be happy with the result.

I did one for my Tele a few months back and am totally pleased--and didn't spend an arm and a leg. I'll get you the specs of mine as soon as I go downstairs and open up my guitars control cavity...

3. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Holic

You should be able to buy the caps anywhere, look for 1.2nF (or 0.0012uF, all the same thing) a very common value.

agreed, no need to spend a lot of money, they should cost pennies. I buy all my components direct from China but you should be able to find ebay resellers that will sell you a few at very minimal cost. I'm looking at a US seller now that's selling 100x 1.2n caps for $2.69 ... not that you'll want 100 of them. :D

4. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

Mouser... I knew that would come up... That website is a little arcane for me - the bane of my guitar DIY existence. I love to solder and put stuff together, but I am not up on all the variables Mouser asks for as I try (and fail) to select components. I will try again and come back with questions as I get stymied. Maybe I'll learn something.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  5. dunehunter

Here is my treble bleed, nothing special--just parts I had on hand:

Treble Bleed Tele.jpg

That's a 1/2 W, 150K Ohm resistor across a 1000pF Cap. The 600V is overkill, but it's what I had on hand. At any rate, seems to work great. Parts all came from Antique Electronic Supply

6stringcowboy likes this.
  6. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

Sweet! Thanks for posting the pic. Does the legs need to be in the shrink wrap? If not, I guess I will need to buy a heat gun... which I'd rather not do.

7. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Tele-Holic

You may want to rethink this. One size may not fit all. The humbuckers generally use different value pots and different value treble bleed circuits.

I would have a look at the les paul type sites to see what values of treble bleed they prefer for the HH style. YMMV.

OldPup likes this.
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yeah, try AES. I wont shop Mouser unless there is no alternative. They try hard to make it difficult.

Kevin Wolfe and 6stringcowboy like this.
  9. OldPup

OldPup Tele-Meister

I'm relieved to learn it's not only me that struggles with that site! I will try AES. Thank you.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  10. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Right, you'll want an assortment of values because different pickups will want different values for best results. Depends on their DC resistance, inductance, the pot values, etc. There's no formula, you just have to experiment to find what you like best.

11. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

You know you can just clip different value caps on with croc clips ?
    Try a few out through your amp - you may be surprised what values sound best ;)

OldPup likes this.
  12. dunehunter

Don't need a heat gun if you have access to your wife's/girlfriends blowdryer. Works fine. I just use the heat shrink to keep other parts from grounding it out when you mash everything back into the cavity.

Mash is perhaps not the word I'm looking for but you get my drift...;)

OldPup likes this.
  13. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

IMO Mouser does a good job of letting the user filter to the part that's needed. You have to know exactly what you need. What you're working with is a user interface that builds queries against a database the size of Switzerland. There isn't a more user-friendly way to do this in that kind of scale.

dunehunter likes this.
  14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The lazy way is to clip in a capacitor decade box that lets you switch between different values. You enter the lazy genius realm if you clip a resistor decade box in parallel across that.

jvin248, tubegeek and Norris Vulcan like this.
  15. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

jvin248, Kevin Wolfe and PCollen like this.
  16. tele_savales

tele_savales Tele-Holic

Agreed. I got some super tiny ceramic discs from Radio Shack online and its really nice not to have a single orange drop taking up have the control cavity. They sound fine.

17. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

Whenever I need small quantities of cheap parts, I look on eBay. You can often get what you need for less than the shipping charge from larger retailers.

tubegeek likes this.
  18. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Amazon has package deals with caps and resistors in varying values. Those and a simple set of leads with alligator clips will let you find the components that work for you. As for heat shrink, just use a size that fits, no need to shrink it for this purpose. (If you are very careful, you can shrink it with a bic lighter.)

Steve Holt likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Yes, the composition of the capacitor has zero effect on tone, and money spent on composition is wasted. But... The caps you mention often have smaller tolerances that put them closer to their nominal values. If you are comparing different values, small tolerances get you closer to comparing apples to apples.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.