1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help! Final stages in tele build – neck sound

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rooboo, Aug 28, 2018.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Some of you have followed my partscaster build over the last couple of months. It's about done – but I'm battling neck pu decisions. I made this comparsion video – never mind the playing I'm just fooling around with some improvised minor blues licks, but how about the sound. What do you prefer? Duncan or TR?

2. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

They both sound good. In the first pass, the SD sounds a little fuller/smoother/rounder, but on the second pass, they sound very similar to each other.

rooboo likes this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Well, if all things were equal in the test (volume settings, amp, pedal, etc.), then I'd say the Tonerider.

rooboo likes this.
  4. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Interesting. In my ears the big difference is in the second run. When the guitar vol is full up and the soft overdrive puts it all up front. I really think the Duncans deliver there. They reach tones in the middle register that the Toneriders ca't really produce. But then again the differences are subtle, no major things. But still.

Mincer likes this.
  5. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Yes of course all settings are identical (didn't even touch the amp). Same strings even. NYXL 10-52 with the 10 traded for an 11.

6. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

No offense intended. I've been surprised before by A/B comparisons where different settings were used, supposedly to compensate for perceived differences in the room, etc. I'm not impugning motives, it's just that I try not to make assumptions.

rooboo likes this.
  7. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Sorry if I came off as defensive – no such intentions at all. I too am surpriced over some A/B comparsions on youtube. Sometimes pickup comparsions with different guitars(!). So that's why I did it the way I did it. Same settings on everyting. There's no major difference in the pickups in my ears. But the difference you DO hear is actually because of the pickups – since everything else is identical.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.