Help! Do Silverface Deluxe/Twin share specs

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by PMELIUS, Nov 23, 2015.

1. PMELIUS

PMELIUS Tele-Meister

Recently a speaker in my nice 74 twin gave out, and I currently have the opportunity to purchase a 12" original from a '75 Deluxe Reverb. The seller doesn't know the exact specifications, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if I'll face any problems dropping this Deluxe speaker into my Twin?

Thanks!

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

1974 and 1975 weren't exactly Fender's golden years. The original speakers in Twin Reverbs from that era are usually well past their "sell by" date. See... Twin Reverbs are loud "professional" amps so most of them have been used as loud professional amps. Some of them have seen three sets a night three or four nights per week for the last 40 years.

Unless you're getting a killer deal on a used speaker you may be better off with a pair of new speakers. I like what Eminence makes, the Lil' Texas in particular. Put your old speakers on the shelf in case someone want to buy your "original" Twin Reverb.

Alternatively,

Relatively recent Eminence / Fender Special Designs as used in many of Fender's '90s or later amps often get "upgraded". A couple used Special Designs can easily replace your old Twin speakers. I've seen 'em as low as $25 each.

3. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

yeah, you can grab the Fender Eminence special design goldbacks on eBay for about $30.00,they sound fine to me, although the Lil Texas neo speakers will reduce the amp weight by about 8 lbs.

4. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

The Jensen C12K would be a good replacement, 100 Watts 8 ohms.

5. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

I agree with the others. Your Twin will get a much needed sonic bump with more modern speakers. Box the old ones, including the blown one and get the a pair of new Eminence or Weber speakers for that Twin. You'll be most pleased.

6. PMELIUS

PMELIUS Tele-Meister

7. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Make sure you get the ribbed cone version. I generally prefer ribbed cones except for a few very specific applications. The Twin Reverb isn't one of them.

8. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

What sort of tone are you looking for? Eminence has some very good options if you just want a beefier cleaner version of the original worn out speakers.

9. PMELIUS

PMELIUS Tele-Meister

Can I ask what those applications might be?

10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Do tell.

Perhaps a 12" equipped Princeton?

11. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

More than likely any new speaker will be more efficient aka louder. Personally I don't want that in a Twin Reverb.
    My current favorite TR speaker is a pair of Radio Shack Utahs that came in a SFTR. Honestly I figured they'd be in the dumpster but I like um.
    Wish I could find another pair for my BFTR but for now it's running Weber SigBs. They're not bad.

If you play real loud don't use the speakers like I do ! You'll blow um. The SigBs are only 50 watts and the Utahs were 60 watts 40 years age when new. They ain't new anymore.

Another low efficiency speaker and probably the easiest to find are the Oxfords 12s from about 66 on. Might be what you have now ? I think the code is 465 on Oxfords like a 465xxx number.
    If that's what you have and you liked them I'd get them both reconed. If one went to pot the others probably going to sooner or later.

If you play loud the choices are endless in new speakers. But really who gets a TR over 5 ?
    Or even 4 ? :lol:

12. GuitarJonz

The guy over at Warehouse seems to always recommend the ET65 for Twins, which I always thought was strange, since those are supposedly Brit-voiced. In the forum there that's the constant advice. Anyone here tried those?

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I had a an ORIGINAL Twin Reverb. Had to sell it for an expensive hot water system.

They were , I think , rated at 85 Watts RMS and I had 2x12"JBL speakers in it that were rated to 100Watts.
    Anyway the rule of thumb ( as far as I know) is the speaker should be higher than the RMS output.
    The Jensen C12K is the only one mentioned here. Owners of Musicman amps, very fine amps, had to equip there's similarly.JMHO

14. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

15. GuitarJonz

I always got a chuckle from Bill M's speaker review, that "the Jensen C12K is a dull butter knife of a speaker". One thing for sure, its large ceramic magnet makes it heavier than many other options.

16. PMELIUS

PMELIUS Tele-Meister

Pass on making my amp any heavier than it already is hahaha

Yeah, this confuses me also. After looking into it even further, the description of the smooth cone G12C/S sounds like what I would like out of my amp, but was advised against that in this thread and by the recommendations on WGS's forum.

17. PMELIUS

PMELIUS Tele-Meister

I (very carefully) got into my speaker from the back with the video camera on my phone, because there was no visible damage to the cone on the front end, and the impedance reads correctly on my multimeter.

Disclaimer: Not positive my technical terminology is correct here, but I'm referencing this photo: http://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_2/images/revel-speakers-f52-midrange-diagram.gif

It seams that where the cone is glued to the "spider" (not sure about that part), the seal has dislodged on one side. This is beyond anything I would imagine trying to repair myself, but I'm thinking about having someone repair it for me if I can find that service locally. You were the only person who mentioned repairing my original speakers, which I would love to try first.

Thoughts on a repair like that anyone? Any idea on cost or if it's in any way worth it?

18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I have yet to find an amp that did not sound great with an ET-65 in it. Mind you I've only tried them in 3 of my amps so far. I own 3 ET-65 speakers now. I bet they'd sound great in a Twin.

19. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

With the lightweight cones Jensen-esque type speaker suse, they deform easily under use. Great when you want something lo-fi in an old, low-output Tweed Fender for raunchy Muddy Waters tone, but they are kind like keeping an OD/fuzz on all the time., That doesn't make them very versatile for a big, scooped high-output amp like a Twin Reverb

As to your original question, Dewluxe Reverbs use lower wattage speakers than Twin Reverbs, the SFDR would have blown in a SFTR....heck many of the stock SFTR speaker blew under the strain, including JBL.

20. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

It's worth a shot trying to reglue it. Worst case you waste some time and glue and still have a speaker that needs reconing or replacement. Pretty much what you have now.

Some Google searching should find you some information.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.