Help Diagnosing HRD issue and Replacement Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TeleAK, Dec 22, 2020.

1. TeleAK

TeleAK TDPRI Member

Hello All,
    New to TDPRI and seeking some guidance!

I have a 2001 Hot Rod Deluxe that I bought new and has provided years of faithful service, but has had an issue over the last few months that has made it all but useless at anything above bedroom practice volumes. Here is a short clip of the issue:

It buzzes and distorts like this on specific tones(often on the low E) and anytime my attack is heavier than featherlight, the issue is present when running direct in and when running through effects. I have checked all the screws and tubes(to the best of my abilities), so I am left thinking it might be time for a speaker replacement. What do you think?

If speaker replacement is the solution, I would love some recommendations informed by the following:
    1. I have no desire for the amp to be excessively louder than it already is.
    2. I run a lot of effects including whammy, looping, delay, fuzz, overdrive etc, and would like a speaker that handles effects well but also sounds great clean.
    3. I love using an octave down effect so I want it to be able to handle the low end without fear of damaging the speaker.
    4. The things I'm not thinking about.

Any help is greatly appreciated, please assume my ignorance, I haven't had to deal with many amp issues.

Best,

TeleAK

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I hear some fret buzz on that open E, but I also hear some buzz that seems to be in the amp. Tough one. If you have another speaker arrangement through which you could play, that might help in the diagnosis. I would suggest that you get that pedal board out of the way until you get the amp straightened out. I don’t like any more variables than necessary in the signal path when I am trying to find a problem.
    You say you have checked tubes to the best of your ability. What is the limit of that ability...what have you done to test the tubes? Have you subbed in a known good 12AX7 into each of those sockets? How old are the power tubes?
    And...I think your guitar needs a set up. That is a separate issue, but that fret rattle gets in the way of this analysis, imho.

Welcome to the forum...

TeleAK likes this.
  3. dankilling

dankilling Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Lots of different things could cause sounds like that- has the amp ever been serviced? If not, 19 years between service visits is pretty good! I’d just take it to a tech for a once over- likely a simple problem but the issue servicing the HRD is the time it takes to get it apart enough to actually do a simple repair, so be ready to spend a couple hundred on a proper servicing while the tech is in there.

TeleAK and Wally like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Doctor of Teleocity

I'd bet your electro caps are gone. I'm pretty sure that model had 450 volt caps and the B+ voltage is 445. A few years later Fender went to 500 volt units. It could also be the small signal bypass caps.

If your tubes are original it may be ones gone bad.

I don't think your speaker is bad.

TeleAK likes this.
  5. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Holic

Regarding the speaker, if you do change it, I put an All-Tone 1250 in my HRDX and am very pleased with it.

TeleAK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.