Help deciding between 60s MIM, Godin Stadium or Am Special

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by paradisebunny, Jun 15, 2021.

1. paradisebunny

paradisebunny TDPRI Member

Hi everyone,

this is my first post here, been stalking the forum for years but I've finally come through and intend to join the tele club. First and foremost, there is a few things to know about me as a guitar player: I usually only have one main instrument which I play exclusively for years, thus comitting to a new guitar is a big deal for me. First I played a Epi Les Paul Goldtop for about 10 years, then a 1974 Gibson J-45 for another 10 years and in the last 5 years primarily a Japanese made Ibanez RG. The latter is a fantastic instrument, but I find myself mostly in the single coil or split settings and the frets need replacing. With changing musical tastes (now mostly funk, fusion and Julian Lage type stuff) I find myself wanting to simplify. Teles have always intrigued me for that reason plus I love the aestetic (someting I can't say about the RG anymore...).
    I've scouted out two good used deals (for the italian used market that is) and one off-the-shelf guitar that I am very interested in. The first one is a 2008 60s MIM Telecaster for about 500€ with a few optical blemishes (don't care), the second a blonde American Special from 2016 for about 900€ and the last a brand new Godin Stadium HT for about 700€.
    Things I am worried about: that I am spoiled by the (perfectly crafted) RG and that the MIM 60s won't live up to my expectations in terms of built quality to make it as my main instrument for the next 5 years or so. Also, I like big frets (and I cannot lie), so I am worried about the skinnier frets and inconveniences like trussrod access etc. I will be able to try this one later this week.
    The American Special in terms of specs is much closer to what I like (frets, saddles, etc), but at the upper end of what I am willing to spend. Also prefer the color and can try it later this week too.
    The third one is the Godin Stadium HT, which seems like the best deal of the lot (couldn't care less about which name is on the headstock), and I actually like the minor changes they did to the tele recipe (belly cut, jack in the control plate, no scratchplate etc). Can't try it though and would have to order it / potentially send it back. Also currently only available in black which I don't love.
    Any experiences with any of these models? In particular the Godin Stadium HT? Or recomendations for other high quality teles at a good price like the Godin?

Thanks everyone!!

2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

If you're not worried about names, aesthetic appeal, the for what you want the MIM won't suit you. It's 7.25 radius with vintage frets. The other 2 sound more appealing for what you need. I couldn't find out any info on the fret size on the Godin, but only that it has a 12 radius.
    If you can find out more, let us know, as I would snap that one up out of the 3 , and it's new. The Am Special maybe fine though. Medium jumbo frets 9.5 radius, Texas Special pickups.
    It's all about what you really want as a player at the end of the day, and if you are willing to try them out first.

bgmacaw and paradisebunny like this.
  3. Old Plank

Old Plank Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Welcome!

paradisebunny likes this.
  4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Try the Special & buy it if you like it. Flat radius & big frets will make for an easy transition from the Ibanez and I like the fat-sounding Texas Specials in this guitar. I have one and I play it a lot.

Don't know anything about the Godin. Might be a pretty great guitar, though who knows? You'll take a beating on resale value if you decide it's not for you. It would be a different story if you could try it first. But there's nothing wrong with a US Fender & it'll hold its value in the long run.

5. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

For me it's all about the neck. Everything else can be changed.

Fiesta Red and Fendereedo like this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

I think this is an easy decision to make.....Godin all the way.

I have yet to play a bad guitar from Godin, it just never happens. The build quality is as good as it gets and they have one the most playable necks of any maker with a flatter profile, medium jumbo frets, and they have a nicely rolled edge so they feel well broken in.

7. medownsouth

medownsouth Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

60s vintage modified? Absolutely

8. paradisebunny

thanks for all the input! on paper the godin makes most sense, as the neck theoretically is the closest to the Ibanez I am used to. I'll try to find one locally to try out. Until I can do that I will try the American Special, looks good on paper too but its a bit pricey.

Milspec likes this.
  9. AtlanticCity83

AtlanticCity83 TDPRI Member

Hard decision... I'd go for the 60s MIM but the Godin may feel more comfortable!

10. paradisebunny

The Godin seems like a really good instrument... So annoyed it is hard to find locally...

11. Tom Quartz

Tom Quartz TDPRI Member

Godin makes great stuff! I had a Summit Classic HB for a good while and it was the best LP style guitar I've ever played. The boys and girls up north know how to build 'em. Have you checked out G&L and Music Man? Both have lots of Leo Fender DNA, G&L especially so.

12. paradisebunny

Anyone know how the G&L ASATs compare between tribute and american version? Are the Tributes worth it? There seem to be a lot of them available here for good prices.

13. paradisebunny

It seems like we posted at the same time! anyone know anything about these guitars? (G&L ASAT with the big pickups) https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/m...-inclusa-spedizione-no-permute_id6024935.html

14. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

The matte black is cool: https://godinguitars.com/product/stadium-ht-matte-black-mn

I had a G&L Tribute tele, sold it to by a G&L ASAT Special. It was good enough to make me want another G&L.

You can't go wrong with any of the guitars you mention, but the 60s MiM will be the most "different" with the 7.5 radius and vintage frets (which you might like!). Probably just need to try em.

15. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I played guitars with 9.5" radii and medium jumbos for decades, and then picked up a MIM Classic 72 Thinline with vintage specs.

I adapted fine to the rounder radius right away but the vintage frets took some time to get a handle on. Going from Jumbos to vintage fretwire is going to be a big jump. But once I got used to them, the vintage frets are fine.

Like others have said, I've never played a bad Godin. Their necks feel perfect to me.

Good luck!

Milspec and paradisebunny like this.
  16. paradisebunny

thanks guys! can't wait to test the MIM 60s one, it could either just feel horrible or make a nice change. I am mainly worried about feeling the wood with my fingertips, as the RGs frets are so big that my fingertips rarely touch the neck. I really like how that encourages a light and efficient touch (plus it makes for easy legato play). I hate it when sellers are slow at communicating and setting dates...

17. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

The Special had jumbo frets and a 9.5" radius fretboard. That Ibanez fretboard was probably flatter - 12" to 15". It will be worth playing first to see if those bigger frets make you happy.

18. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Godin is an excellent company!

However on their Telecaster copy I've noticed on most I see online that the bridge is drilled not quite in the right place:

It's probably a small thing sonically-
    but notice how the saddles are all forward closer to the actual pickup,
    away from the mounting screws more than usual for sure.

ymmv

19. paradisebunny

hm really interesting, so that means the pickup in relation to scale length is positioned slighlty lower? That would make a big difference!

That Cal Webway likes this.
  20. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hmmm... "Slightly lower"

I'm still not awake I'm mainlining coffee haha!

All I know is that the three saddle are brought definitely more forward then I've seen on any other companies 3 saddle Telecaster bridge models...

Except, and you won't believe this!
    At one time, and they still may have a few, but Sweetwater carried the $2,000 plus Friedman Telecaster copies facilitated/ designed by Grover Jackson.
    Their saddles were too far forward too...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.