Help converting an old Wurlitzer speaker into an amp cab

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by koguitar, Jun 20, 2021.

1. koguitar

koguitar NEW MEMBER!

Hi all,

I got an old 1950s Wurlitzer organ a few years back and want to try and take out the speakers and build a guitar amp or cabinet with the rotary elements from the organ. I don’t have a lot of electronic knowledge so I’m hoping somebody can point me in the right direction for completing this project, or to tell me it’s a bad idea and i may hurt/kill myself from the voltage.

I have attached some pictures of the inside of the organ if anyone can identify the components I’ll need. I think the stuff on the right is the motor for the rotary; but i could be wrong. In the bottom left is the tube organ amp, should i take this out and use it in the amp? This way it’ll be an amp rather than a cabinet?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

That Cal Webway and Telekarster like this.
  2. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That organ amp would make a horrible guitar amp so you can just box it up and send it to me with the tubes and everything carefully packed. I'll pay the shipping. (kidding)

The tube complement is:

-12AX7
    -12AU7A (3 of 'em)
    -7027A (2 of them)
    -5U4GB

We know a 7025 is a cleaner version of a 12AX7 and a 12AX7 is a 12AX7. A 12AU7A is going to be a lower gain preamp tube compared to the 12AX7. The 7025A tubes are supposed to be drop in replacements for KT88s and probably the same for 6L6GC tubes. The 5U4GB is a rectifier tube. If those test good, you've got a pretty large dollar amount just in the tubes. Hopefully, they're all RCAs or some other USA tubes.

That Jensen speaker is an Alnico and worth some money on its own. Is that a 12 inch or 15 inch? Either one would make a really good speaker for a guitar amp.

My advice? If you don't know what you're doing, find an amp guy who does repairs and makes his own amps and have a good sit down talk about what could be done with that amp. All the good parts are there but just not exactly the way you're gonna want them for a guitar amp.

That's a pretty good score and I'm happy for you!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Telekarster and vhilts1 like this.
  3. Jesco

Jesco TDPRI Member

I’ll break the bad news. What you want to do, which I believe is, build a guitar amp with a built in rotary speaker, is a very ambitious project and would take a lot of amp building know how.

That said, from what I can see, you could build an amp out of the chassis and speaker in that organ. This also takes a bit of knowledge: amp building, circuit design (you would have to modify the existing circuit), and cabinet building to house the chassis and speaker (actually the most time consuming aspect of the project).

On the other hand, this is how people learn. And, yes, you could certainly fatally hurt yourself playing with high voltage when you don’t know what you’re doing. So be safe!

Hooe any of that helps and no praises were rained on.

4. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I couldn't have said it better myself... or COULD I?

5. koguitar

koguitar NEW MEMBER!

I’m actually a pretty experienced woodworker and do it for money so the cabinet making would be a piece of cake, probably a 1 day project. That’s good to know that the components are solid, I’ll try and find someone in my area who knows about amps and see if they can give me a hand.

Telekarster and W.L.Weller like this.
  6. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's

Yep, that's a nice old Jensen in there.... you should be able to get the date codes off of it on the rim. The speaker is worth $$ by itself if it's in good shape, not to mention the tubes etc. Might even have some bumblebee resistors in there too??

That would be a trip to build a guitar amp with a whirler in it! Wow... wouldn't it be heavy as heck though? Those components look very heavy to me via the pics. Crazy man! I hope your project turns out for you! There's plenty of folks out here that have done these sorts of conversions in the past. Wranglin' @Wally in on this one to see what he thinks ;)

Torren61 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.