ABetterTelePlayer

Tele-Meister
The best advice would be:

Don't ask randoms on a forum for advice.

Instead, do the research, then go to a dealer and try some for yourself through multiple amps. See which is right for you. Nobody ever fails at getting it right if they do their due diligence and follow their heart. Just sayin.

Festofish

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
You can get the RW body and neck from Stratosphere and go from there. I really wish they offered a RW Strat to match my RW Deluxe. All the strat necks have vintage specs. The Deluxe neck is more more modern. I love it!

junkopardner

TDPRI Member
The best advice would be:

Don't ask randoms on a forum for advice.

Instead, do the research, then go to a dealer and try some for yourself through multiple amps. See which is right for you. Nobody ever fails at getting it right if they do their due diligence and follow their heart. Just sayin.
I’ve played road worns and player strats. I’m not crazy about the player series, but I did like the road worn. Neither one is exactly the specs I want which is why I was curious about building one. Obviously there’s no way to know what that would be like until I bought everything and put it together

ABetterTelePlayer

Tele-Meister
I’ve played road worns and player strats. I’m not crazy about the player series, but I did like the road worn. Neither one is exactly the specs I want which is why I was curious about building one. Obviously there’s no way to know what that would be like until I bought everything and put it together
It was more of a contrasting comment to the guy who said "Just buy this and use it as a starting point, nobody gets it right on the first try" which is horrible advice yet somehow conjured a lot of likes, and if the case is building one yourself then the comment was even more so irrelevant.

If you're planning on building a guitar out of that which you are unsure about in how they interact put together then that makes things a bit more difficult for anyone to answer. Advice here wouldn't be too well given.

What I do know is that most of the signature series are custom Telecasters or "partscasters", I'm betting at least one of them over the years has gone for the exact combination you're thinking of building - or close to. I'm thinking you may be able to locate one at a local store and try one.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
if you're going to get mjt to do you something anyway, and you want the relic, then get an allparts neck with vintage specs and have them do it.

i seem to be in the minority here, but i've played relic'd guitars that feel like vintage worn ones, and the road worn necks are not that - they feel like a home job, kind of rough and icky. gotta try before you buy.

ironically the modern satin poly necks feel pretty damn close to 60s poly necks with regular/light wear once they gloss up a bit. if you want normal play wear feel, they’re not a bad option.

Last edited:

TurtlesnTanlines

TDPRI Member
1. Scrap the build. Resale value does matter at that price, whether you think it’s a ‘forever tele’ or not.
2. F*ck specs. Go travel around and play Teles.
3. Pick the one that inspires you to play.

My current #1 is my Tele Ultra. I was at the store the day it arrived. I plugged it into a basic AC15 and 2 hours passed without realizing it. It’s not for everyone, but it’s for me. (Next up will be a 60s Original in Lake Placid Blue)

ValveTubeHead

TDPRI Member
Ideally I want an Ash body with a nitro finish, a thicker vintage 7.5 radius maple neck with vintage tall frets, a twisted Tele in the neck and custom shop nocaster in the bridge.

The only thing holding me back on the road worn is the alder body instead of ash and limited color options. Also I’d still have to change the pickups, which might not be a big deal if I could sell the stock ones to help recoup some of the new pickup cost.
Fender MIM did a couple year ‘18-‘19? run of ‘50s classic series ash body/ maple 7.25 neck; all lacquer… similar to the vintera roadworn without the roadworn. Keep your eyes open I guess
BB815205-0052-4EB2-9ECA-168EE948E5CF.jpeg

Killing Floor

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
There is no best guitar. Make sure you focus on fit, neck because that makes it best for you and your hand. Anything else can be changed. I can palm a basketball and easily make 5 fret reach on a bass guitar so I don’t live well on shallow necks. I love classic C Tele and Strat necks. It took a long time to figure out the “fast” necks aren’t for my oven mitts.
So take your time and play as many as you can without worrying about cost. That way you’ll discover what you like and need.
And then order it in Daphne blue because it’s the best color.

Cosmic Cowboy

Tele-Afflicted
I haven't seen new Mexican teles for $500 since the early 2000s. They can be fine guitars though.

Nitro is nice, but seems to really drive the price for a feature that at the end of the day, doesn't really make any measurable difference in my opinion.

If I had to find one 'forever' tele right now, I'd probably just break down and buy a Fender American Pro II. Its a fine guitar with nice pickups and the roasted pine resonates really well and is usually lighter than ash and alder. The push-push is basically a 4-way switch. It can be top loaded or string-thru.

It really is a tele that you can enjoy forever.

The necks are comfy and solid. It does the Fender tele thing with authenticity, and if you ever don't like it, you might only lose $250 selling it. Comes with a hardcase and lifetime warranty.

Partscasters are fun, but a partscaster and a 'Forever' tele don't usually go in the same conversation. It becomes a tinkerer's tool, rather than an instrument to be played and enjoyed.

connuchar

Tele-Meister
best method of selecting a telecaster is the time proven" eenie , meenie , mynee , moe" scientific method .lol

Hallski

Tele-Meister
I’ve been looking at every T guitar for months. I really had decided to get the new Fender Road Worn 50s model because I like the specs and nitro finish, but the more I think about it I think I’d like building my own. I want a light ash body, MJT to nitro finish it, and then probably a road worn maple neck on it with a twisted Tele in the neck and a custom shop nocaster in the bridge.

I know it won’t have the resale value of the road worn, but I don’t ever plan on selling it.

I guess I was just wanting to know if I’m over thinking it. I could have a brand new player Tele for $500 after tax, and I’m sure that would be just fine but I’m really looking for a forever Tele. So should I just get the road worn, or just do the build I want?

And outside of Warmoth and MJT, who makes really good ash T bodies? Has anyone had any cheaper bodies that were just as good as the more expensive ones?

Thanks all

J
Get a Road Worn, I just did and it changed my life! ;)

Ronhar

TDPRI Member
There is no best guitar. Make sure you focus on fit, neck because that makes it best for you and your hand. Anything else can be changed. I can palm a basketball and easily make 5 fret reach on a bass guitar so I don’t live well on shallow necks. I love classic C Tele and Strat necks. It took a long time to figure out the “fast” necks aren’t for my oven mitts.
So take your time and play as many as you can without worrying about cost. That way you’ll discover what you like and need.
And then order it in Daphne blue because it’s the best color.
Lol. I have short stubby fingers and paws for palms. Skinnier and shallow neck and 9s for strings is the only thing comfortable. I’m humbled watching SRV bend those cables with those tree trunk fingers. It takes all kinds.

sloppychops

Friend of Leo's
I think you're dreaming if you think you can get a lightweight MJT ash body and all the other parts you listed for under $500 out the door.

Also, I second the opinion that a first effort build has the potential to not come out the way you hope it will.

Get the RW 50s and be done with it...except for the pickups. I tried one of these RWs awhile back and liked the neck so much I got one to replace the skinny neck on my American Special. It's a fantastic neck!

The Classic Series 50s Tele is a great guitar, too. But you'll be buying one used, and most likely without the chance to try it first. I think they've become overpriced on the used market, and you never really know for sure what you're getting when you buy a used guitar off Reverb or eBay.

Wallaby

Friend of Leo's
Apologies if I missed a detail, but it sounds like you're shopping for your first Telecaster?

If so, I'd probably take the simplest option to getting a Tele *NOW*, and learn whether you want more and if you do you'll be better informed and have better ideas about what works for you and what doesn't. I'd also avoid modding it for a little while, or at least not sink a lot of money into what you do and try to keep things easily reversible.

If you can find one used even better, someone else will eat the initial depreciation, should you decide to sell it.

Brent Hutto

Tele-Afflicted
Something only becomes a "forever guitar" in retrospect. You look back in five or ten years and realize you'll never replace it.

It's not possible to decide sight-unseen that a guitar with certain specs is going to be a "forever guitar" for you. It simply does not work that way.

Generally speaking, when people saying they want to buy a "forever" something or another that's just trying to rationalize spending more money than they need to spend at that point in time. It's a good way to end up eating huge losses on one instrument after another hoping to find the "forever" one.