Help Choosing a Butterscotch Blonde Lacquer

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by sheafromme, Nov 26, 2018.

1. sheafromme

sheafromme TDPRI Member

I'm making my own Tele-style partscaster and have been trying to order ReRanch's Butterscotch Blonde Lacquer for a while now but they're still on Thanksgiving break and take a while to ship. Unfortunately, I need the color asap and so I was looking into Ohio Valley Nitro's Butterscotch Blonde. I was wondering if anybody had any experience with it as some of the Amazon reviews said it was way darker than what you'd expect and was more of an amber. Also, if anyone has any ReRanch alternatives or knows if RR will be available soon please let me know

2. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Behlen's has rattle cans. You could prime the body with BIN and then us Behlen's Tinted Amber clear to dial in the shade of BSB you want. The primer coat can be opaque or semi transparent, it all depends on what look you want.

There's a woodcraft in Woburn, MA. They sell the Behlens and . . . .

Another alternative might be a non-nitro finish using General Finishes Milk Paints (water based). Again you can make up the shade with some SnowWhite milk paint and either some yellow milk paint (with a pinch of brown for a vintage look) or some yellow dye (also with a pinch of brown to give that vintage look) Top coat can be a number of things including nitro or one of the General Finishes top coats.

4. horax

horax Tele-Holic

mfguitar likes this.
  5. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Honestly, the one above doesn't look anything like Fender's blonde once it's aged. The Logan finish looks like a clear finish with some amber stain - no pigmented coating at all.

ckroenlein and Telekarster like this.
  6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Yeah, there is a difference between Re-Ranch "Butterscotch" and "Butterscotch Blonde." The Logan looks more like Butterscotch which I don't think is what the OP is looking for.

7. horax

horax Tele-Holic

didn't even make the connection that he wanted bsblonde.

D'uh! ;)

8. bsman

bsman Tele-Afflicted

I read “Help choosing a butterscotch blonde liqueur.”

Needless to say, I has a disappointed! ;)

9. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I have tried for years to get Re- Ranch Butterscotch for Teles ( I even have a Tele waiting on order for a friend) but they ( stewmac in particular , won't fly it to me. Does anyone have an answer?
    It's a prohibited pressure can that the Australian airlines will not ship.

10. Tonetele

Once again, can anyone out there help?

11. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

You might check out Mohawk's blonde toner.

I'm doing a finish right now that incorporates it.

It really couldn't be any easier to use; comes in a rattlecan, and sprays pretty good.

I bought it from Klingspor.

Mohawk also has another toner called champagne frost that has more of whitish cast than the blonde.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/m1010222/

The price went up a dollar recently, so now it's $7 bucks a can :).

They carry a whole line of Behlens and Mohawk stuff, so it helps to fill out an order with stuff you need in order to make the $10 buck shipping cost count.

I've used the Mohawk vinyl sealer and gloss top coat in rattlecans too, and it all worked together really well.

Best of Luck in your search :)!

12. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

You might be better served starting a new thread entitled "Sourcing butterscotch blonde spray cans in South Australia." The thread you commented on was a bit stale.

13. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Meister

Mohawk, Behlen's, all have good reputations from what I understand, and.... I've been told that if you specify nitro lacquer and have a color in mind, Sherwin Williams will make it for you and put it in the rattle can? Never tried this myself so not entirely sure how reliable that info is, nor what it might cost, but maybe someone out here has used SW before... anyway, worth a phone call perhaps...

14. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

As I mentioned in the other discussion about blonds, Dan Erlewine has a multiple page discussion on how Fender did their various blonds, including how the lacquers aged. He gives several recipes for vintage blonds, altho he does not specifically call one "butterscotch". The advantage of his recipes is that he gives specific Dupont , Harpers, Duco and other paint numbers which you should be able to either buy or cross reference to something available in your paint stores,.

I haven't tried any of these, nor have I actually seen one, but it is an answer.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Luthi3rz likes this.
  15. Tonetele

Thanks. I'll look that up as a friend has placed an order with me for a Telecaster from the Stewmac range.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.