1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help, Cat Keeps Messing On My Pedalboard!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by johnnykf, Feb 26, 2008.

1. johnnykf

johnnykf Tele-Holic

This is no joke. I have some off brand pedalboard that works well, but my female neutered 10 year old cat keeps rubbing up on it and doing what they usually do in a litterbox smack dab on the surface.. Never had a problem with her doody until I got this thing from Ebay.
    It's always in the the big area at the bottom that has no pedal on it.
    Well, at least she didn't nail my FD2 or Compressor.
    I don't know what attracts her to it, maybe something in the overseas factory where it was made?
    Does anyone know of any cat repellent or something that would keep her away? Also, what can I use to take the odor out?

2. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Former Member

I'm a cat lover, have 3, but if they cross me, they feel pain and cats are not dumb....whap that sucker a couple of times after rubbing her nose in it and she will get the message...

3. thekillingjoke

thekillingjoke Tele-Holic

I don't advocate beating animals, but you should probably give her a good smack the next time she does it so she gets the right idea.

4. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

I have more cats than I will publicly admit, and I strongly suggest that you not smack the cat. Not because it's cruel or because it won't work, but because the evil creature will punish you by crapping in your Tony Lamas or worse.

Seriously, though, your cat is just following its instincts. Some other animal has left a scent on the pedalboard, and kitty just wants to show it who's boss (and I don't mean Boss). I do not know what the pedalboard is made of, but first try thoroughly wiping it with white vinegar. There are also several products available that claim to remove pet scents, but my favourite is "Nature's Miracle". If all else fails, a squirt bottle works way better than a slap (and it's more fun for you).

5. Tedecaster

Tedecaster Tele-Afflicted

I am told that there is a scented spray that cats find offensive, that you use on couches, rugs etc. to keep them from clawing that particular item.

Might keep your cat away from the pedal board?

6. Sarge

Sarge Friend of Leo's

THis is what you do....crank your amp up to 11 and sit quietly untill the cat enters the room.......as soon as it gets ready to do it's thing nail a few power chords. I have 2 cats and they will not step foot in my studio.
    A squirt gun works well too, but not around electrical equiptment!:eek:

7. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe the cat is trying to tell you something...

8. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

The sensible ( and humane ) answer could well be white vinegar.

I have a neutered cat that started soiling certain places or 'new' objects because the smell was to him evoking scent(s) of a territorial nature. Someone told me to wipe the surfaces with plain white vinegar, which neutralises the type of aromas that set off the reaction AND neutralise your own cat's aroma - thus making it not worth it's while on two counts.

The aroma to humans of white vinegar is of course strong at the point of application, but it fades from our noses long before it fades from the scent perception of a cat. My cat had the habit for 2 years, but the vinegar cured it ( and left him happy ) within a couple of weeks.

It worked for us ! :D

Attached Files:

9. Rhomco

Rhomco Friend of Leo's

You Cat is

a dyed in the wool No-Pedal, Tube Amp guy!
    :D

10. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Boot to the cat! Just kidding, I'd hit the pet store and see what they've got. I'm allergic to the little critters myself but I've got a ferret and they sell all kinds of products to keep them from biting/ using the bathroom on stuff.

11. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

Total cat lover here. Whacking her will only make YOU feel better for a bit, spraying a 10 year old will only confuse her (if that's not your normal means of discipline).
    First do as others have recommended and clean down the area removing the scent, then put another pedal in the vacant place on the board. By changing the environment and removing the level region she will likely not look to that area again.

No harm to kitty. You get to justify a new pedal. Win. Win.

;)

12. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

In pet food store here in Canada, you can buy a motion detector that will spray citronella if an animal walks by. Thats a humane option

13. iowa

iowa Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I like cats, but I might have to rethink it if mine did that.

14. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Please, everyone, don't hit your cats.

15. colonelrobert

colonelrobert Tele-Meister

Yea, it's called dog piss! :eek:

16. JimiBryant

JimiBryant Tele-Afflicted

get a cheap squirt gun, or don't leave it on the floor!!

17. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity

LOL! reminds me of when i tried the squirt gun on the cat while he was on the kitchen table, he jumped off, and landed squarely on my husky's back! Boy did he run after that!

18. blue water girl

blue water girl Tele-Afflicted

You can't smack or hit cats. Does not achieve the desired result. I am a long time cat owner and lover and I am not saying this because I am against hitting animals (which I am) but because it is a proven fact that with a cat this simply makes matters worse because of the way they are wired.

I always have at least three cats at once living in our home and they are perfect - no problems - they are very easy to train and deal with when they do wrong. There are many reasons why your cat might using your new pedalboard as a litter box but my main guess is that the cat detects another cat's scent on it - another cat has used the bathroom on it at the previous owner's house. Maybe they stored it in an area where a cat somehow and for some reason used the bathroom on it. A cat can still smell that months later even it has been cleaned up well. It is almost impossible for a cat to resist going to the bathroom on a spot that another cat has been. Now that they have added their own scent as well it is really going to be hard to remove that odor - sometimes vinegar works although it takes a long time for the smell of vinegar to go away.

I think you are going to have to to do whatever you can to keep your cat from having access to this pedalboard - cover it up when you aren't using it with some sort of plastic drop cloth, an area rug, something to keep the cat from being able to get on it or smell it.

19. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Move the pedalboard off the floor when you're not using it.

Radical huh?

20. jclark

jclark Tele-Meister

I like cats, so I agree that moving the board is probably the best idea. But if you want to go "eye for an eye" with it, feel free to take a dump in its food dish.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.