Help buying a new nut for Firefly Thinline.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Allenjason95, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Allenjason95

Allenjason95 TDPRI Member

My firefly needs a new nut, I have the dimensions but the one I ordered was the wrong type.

I know nothing about nuts, this is the first one I’ve ever replaced (except a zero fret that just popped into place for a Gibson) but is there a specific term for the thin flat kind in a tele? The one I ordered was like an LP style, flat on one side and sort of curved on the other.

So could anyone help me with the specifics or direct me to a resource where I can figure it out? I called Sweetwater and talked to one of their CRs but he had no clue what a Thinline even was.

I’ve tried to Google specifics but almost everything Firefly is about the 335 copies, I can’t find much on the Tele style.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Have a look at the tusq website you should be able to find one that matches your firefly, Strats and teles share the same style nut, you just need to know if the nut has a curved bottom or flat.

https://graphtech.com/collections/tusq-nuts-guitar

3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Afflicted

Be aware you will have to fit and file the slots of any nut you buy. If you don't think you have the skills, nut files, gauges and shaping tools, have a tech do it for best results.

4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

Even better, look up the tusq nuts on Stewmac.com. Graphtec doesn't publish their tusq nut radiuses but stewmac has complete info for the tusq nuts. You can get the part number based on measurements you can take off your existing nut and order from whomever you like.

Go for pre-slotted if you don't have nut files. With some patience and a bit of good luck you can get away with sanding off the bottom of the nut to set the string slot height.

Final thought: if the guitar is designed like a Fender it's most likely going to have a Fender style nut, which is quite different from an Epiphone style nut in thickness, overall width, and string spacing. Start by looking at Fender style nuts and go from there. If they don't look right, start by finding a picture of a nut that looks like yours and start comparing measurements.

Spend a few bucks on a digital caliper so you can pull accurate measurements on your Firefly nut.

Best of luck!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.