1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help buying 50s tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Ndavis1971, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

I want the closest thing to a black guard that I can buy. Obviously an original is beyond reach financially. I’ve tried a Big Tex and was very impressed. Amazing resonance and weight. But I don’t know what else you’d recommend to top it. My price is 7500 or below. Any recs much appreciated. I’ll probably replace pickups with Don Mare’s so that’s not a huge selling point.

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

If I understand you correctly, you essentially want a '52 Tele kinda thing, yes?

Lots of options available, from the pricey and relic'd
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-qfjv3NF81s9IwIjRIYaAnSqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

to good deal & used (not affiliated w/ seller)
    https://reverb.com/item/24732749-fender-telecaster-52-road-worn-2016-butterscotch-relic

to the great deal for the dough/worthwhile compromises choice:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...s2_w3M6mUp816kbUxWsaAqsYEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Ndavis1971 likes this.
  3. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

To me the Fender American Vintage Series OR the new AMERICAN ORIGINAL ‘50S TELECASTER. Try not to get sucked up in all that Boutique stuff, Fender's American Original 50's tele line is fantastic and you may not need to replace pickups with Don Mare. Sure Mare's are great but again not much better then what's in the American Original line. However be sure to play one (if Fender or another brand) some of those 50's models have U necks, vintage frets, 9.5 radius, and the ash body / etc can get a bit bright so be sure you're comfortable with that before purchase.

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Have you played a real one? Do you know why you want the 'closest thing to a blackguard'? A real one with the bassy-sound tone circuit is quite a limited guitar in some respects.

Something like a Nacho or several other premium builders make is achievable. But again - is it the look of the thing?

Fender Custom shop replicas are the closest moderate price options. Or - if just after the appearance a good 'ole Pure is a good compromise between nitro-era looks and sound and modern playing.

nocastermike and RadioFM74 like this.
  5. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

If you want to spend that much you get a custom shop masterbuilt. Either that or a Nachocaster (if available).

Fretting out likes this.
  6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yup.
    Nachocaster.
    Never played one but the reviews are stellar.

ladave likes this.
  7. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

Thanks. The nacho caster looks similar in spec to the Big Tex. At a substantially higher cost. Is there really much of a difference between the two?

8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Up to you. At those dollars you need to go play them. Some people would say no. Some people will say worlds apart.

Nacho probably knows more about that era Fender than Fender does.

At those dollars one he builds will always command more both new and resale than a lesser known builder, rightly or wrongly due to reputation.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  9. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

This may not be your dream guitar but I came across a '56 about 4 years ago. The body is refinished, the neck refreted and partially refinished (headstock wasn't). The neck plate, knobs and some hardware is all that's original. Came with a nice set of Bardens' but I put Don Mare hayrides in it and have been under its spell since then. I hope to bring it back to blond someday

2K + the hayrides, modern era correct tuners, bridge and pg.

56_Tele_today.jpg

EsquireBoy, baiff, Rockinvet and 2 others like this.
  10. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I could just make you one.....for way less then $7,500! I had made another before this with Mare Donocasters and a FAT 1" neck. It sounded glorious.

Attached Files:

tery, mimmo, Ndavis1971 and 3 others like this.
  11. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Buy a used beat up American special for next to nothing and you have a guitar that is pretty close to a vintage feel telecaster. Dress it up with all the parts that don't meet your spec. and you will save thousands!

LKB3rd likes this.
  12. Curlydog

Curlydog TDPRI Member

Ndavis1971 likes this.
  13. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Woe those chips on the back of the headstock are some of the most convincing chipping I’ve ever seen pretty close to the real thing

Although mine is poly they look exactly like the chips out of my 72

That’s a great job you did there 2 thumbs up

Did mjt relic the neck and body or is that your work?

14. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

MJT does the bodies and a guy in Miami near me does all of the necks. He will do any tint of amber and is very consistent on the levels of aging. They come with the aged split shaft tuners and a bone nut (bleached or non-bleached).

The only thing I do is source all of the parts, assemble and do all the (minimal) soldering and final set up work.

Fretting out likes this.
  15. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

baiff - you do great work but 63 years wear on a neck looks a little different to me.

56-E.jpg

LPTyler and baiff like this.
  16. Ndavis1971

Ndavis1971 TDPRI Member

Nice work baiff! Y’all are tempting me. Love the tele at Carter’s. Only 55k. Has anyone played a Big Tex? Any opinions? Seems all of these guys like Nash and Big Tex and maybe Nacho source their parts from all parts or whatever then mold them to their own guitars. That’s apparently how they get away with a tele headstock

17. baiff

baiff Tele-Holic

I have a few that look like that too! That has to be a great feeling neck.

18. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

Eric Daw (Pinup guitars) makes some great old school T style guitars and pickups, and he is a great guy.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  19. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

+1 I have been doing this for a long time, and a well used ‘52 ri or other player grade Tele is a lot of bang for the buck. I have chased down more than a few “ it’s gotta be.. “ dreams and found that you pay a good bit for what is often a peer pressure based chimera that has little to do w/ making music.
    Sometimes you need to scratch that itch, but I can think of a lot of things I could do w/ the 6k or so you would save with a used guitar.

20. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

Well said!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.