1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

HELP! Baja Problems!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Iamthewalrus, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Iamthewalrus

Iamthewalrus TDPRI Member

Okay so i posted up a couple weeks ago about the new baja that i bought over ebay. It FINALLY came today and looks gorgeous!

But there are a few concerns i have. The first probably is nothing...But i was looking at where the truss rod hole is usually and this ones sealed off with a brown wood...does this mean truss rod adjustment on bajas requires dismantling the neck? (sorry if this applies to all teles, im new to teles)

And the second problem is a REAL problem. The S-1 switching knob, which is the Volume knob...when I first turned it, it would go 360 and back, in otherwords the knob was loose and doesnt stop at a certain point. I tried tightening the screw which made the knob catch, but the knob is still very flimsy. Is there a hole that the screw needs to go into? How do i get the knob off? i unscrewed the screw all the way out and tried to get the knob off but it gets stuck at the top so i didnt want to force it.

..And fyi the pot is not loose, just the knob....plz help! this baja is perfect in everyway except for this damn volume knob!!!

2. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

Hi,

The truss rod adjuster is at the heel of the neck, meaning that you have to :

a) take the neck off to adjust

or

b) take off the scratch plate and access the adjuster head with a right angled flat screwdriver blade. If in doubt just unscrew the scratchplate and you will be able to tell what you will need if adjusting it without taking the neck off.

With my '57 re-issue Strat it is a neck removal everytime ...:(

** EDIT ** I have just dismantled the S1 knob on my Baja - and find that to remove the knob, you remove the grub screw, then just pull the outer part of the knob gently but firmly upwards. Just where you feel you may have to "force " it - keep even upward pressure applied and it slides out without damage. It fits into the inner mechanism by way of a plastic octagonal (?) plastic shaft going into an orofice of the same shape. The grub screw does not have only one locating hole, but rather clamps the knurled knob outer to one facet of the nylon inner.

I re-assembled it too - and can confirm that it still works ! ** EDIT ***

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Ive seen several people on other forums report probs with the S1 switch.

If I owned a Baja that would be the first thing I removed and made it work like a normal Tele.

4. Iamthewalrus

Iamthewalrus TDPRI Member

okay sorry you used a few too many technical terms haha...so the screw that goes inside the knob has a hole that it must go into? all id id was tighten the screw....looks like ill have ot take it all apart. So you're saying once the screw is out you just pull on the knob and it should come off? I dont want to force anything....let me know! thanks for your help in advanced!

5. VoodooVox

VoodooVox Tele-Meister

I have had no problems with the S1 switching on my Baja. We will see what happens down the road, but it does offer a variety of tones. I like the neck, it does not fill my palm like my LPs but is comfortable to play. I just wonder if the size Baja neck varies as much as some of the guitars vary in weight. Mine is a light one, 7.25#s, but I have read posts about 9.0# Bajas. I can't imagine owning a tele that weighs more than my LPs.

6. lennyb

lennyb Tele-Meister

The S1 switch is why i ordereda baja in blonde

7. J_Lee

J_Lee TDPRI Member

I've played tele's since 1965 (including many original fenders). I really like the Baja tele, including the variety of tones available with the S1 switch.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2008
  8. Fourth Feline

Fourth Feline Tele-Holic

I AM THE WALRUS WROTE :

" Okay sorry you used a few too many technical terms haha...so the screw that goes inside the knob has a hole that it must go into? all id id was tighten the screw....looks like ill have ot take it all apart. So you're saying once the screw is out you just pull on the knob and it should come off? I dont want to force anything....let me know! thanks for your help in advanced ! "
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello again, :D

The screw that goes inside the knob does NOT have a hole it goes into.

Once the screw is out, you pull up on the knob and it comes off - bringing with it a longer plastic /nylon part that goes down into the actuall volume control. Don't worry when you see this, that is the way it is designed to happen.

Once you have pulled it off, it all becomes very clear. Of course if there are any further questions, by all means ask.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.