Help Authenticating Wildwood Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by burrellaustin, Oct 20, 2019.

1. burrellaustin

burrellaustin TDPRI Member

Hi everyone! I am looking for any help I can get. I bought what the seller described as a Wildwood Thinskin '55 Tele, but could not provide the original case or COA. I have two weeks to return it and I am trying to authenticate. I have contacted Fender and Wildwood for what they think but I thought I would post here too. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

20191020_113131.jpg 20191020_113139.jpg 20191020_113152.jpg 20191020_113222.jpg 20191020_113226.jpg 20191020_113621.jpg 20191020_113623.jpg 20191020_113631.jpg
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

3. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Wildwood ThinSkins don't come with a COA. (Custom Shop are the only ones with COA to my knowledge) The lack of a case makes me start wondering if it was stolen? Does the seller have a receipt? If he bought it from Wildwood they should have a record of it....

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

I can't answer the question but the soldering looks pretty messy to me.

Jim603, Luthi3rz and 8barlouie like this.
  5. burrellaustin

Benefit of the doubt to the seller, told me he was the second owner and that the original owner replace the pickups with nocasters, possibly replacement electronics?

6. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I thought Wildwoods used American made reissue style components, but with modern radius and frets. An American made reissue body would not have the CNC registration holes on body or neck pocket. Nor have I ever seen an American reissue neck pocket that looked quite so ugly.

Also, isn't "FSR" (Fender Special Run) something that they do on MIM instruments, not MIAs? Or do they use that term on both?

And Wildwoods still use the old AVRI and AV style of model naming, which consists of a specific year, rather than a decade, like "'50s."

You should be able to tell immediately if it is a Thin Skin finish. On a Thin Skin finish (or Flash Coat, which is the same thing under a different name), the fact that it is lacquer instead of poly is obvious, and you can usually see a slight relief of the wood grains, even on alder bodies.

Looks like it was from 2018, but you can get the real info off of those tags once Fender replies to you.

I have never owned a Wildwood Thin Skin myself, but to me, nothing on that looks like I would imagine it looking on a Wildwood. Not the stickers, the body routing, etc. Theoretically, the Wildwoods should be just like AVs, except for the radius and fret size. Also, I don't see any wood grain relief in the finish, but that's just in an Internet pic. I'd be able to tell you for sure in two seconds if I had it in my hands, but all I have are pix.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  7. burrellaustin

I was thinking the same thing. I have owned a few AV and AVRI guitars and none of them have had the CNC holes. If I was to put money on it, I will be sending this back as a Mexican body, possibly American neck. I'm also split on the lacquer. It is clearly thinner than a traditional poly coat, but it is thicker than what I have experienced int he past with nitro, and definitely feels more like a poly coat than the tactile nitro.

8. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's

I agree. The neck pocket is an untidy mess as well. It may very well have started life as a Wildwood FSR, but somewhere along the way somebody has heavy-handedly debased it.

9. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

To be honest, there are so many red flags on this, I'd send it back. Even if it's 'right', you'll probably never be happy with the guitar, which is why you posted it here. Let's hope your soldering is neat, because I'm not sure you should have taken it apart to that extent if you're hoping to return it.

10. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

The holes for screwing a paint stick to the neck pocket, including one hole that missed and bit into the micro-tilt cavity, tell me that someone has had their way with this body. If its provenance is of import to you, I’d run away. As a previous poster mentioned, I question how gutting it may affect your ability to return it....

11. burrellaustin

Actually have a tech for that so not really worried about it! I'm going to see what Fender and Wildwood have to say for the last word, but I think it is probably going back.

8barlouie likes this.
  12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Have you run the serial number past Fender customer service? That will tell you what it is, or what the neck is, at least. What's the S/N prefix?

Even though the body sticker says FSR, that may not mean much. Where did the sticker come from and why is it on a piece of tape?

The body looks a lot like a Classic 50s Telecaster, which is MIM: CNC registration holes, white blonde, steel saddles.

13. burrellaustin

The neck has a 7.7.08 stamp on it, is this the date it was made? If so, this is most likely a Classic 50s with a different neck.

boris bubbanov and Steve Holt like this.
  14. burrellaustin

TeleTucson and simoncroft like this.
  15. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

7708 are the first 4 digits of the neck part number.

Looking at the neck pocket, if the partially obscured numbers are 961155 30 this would suggest a Mexican Classic 50s Lacquer body. Removing the bridge might help confirm this. Mexican vintage style bodies have the semi circle cut out in the bridge pickup rout, American vintage do not.

Tele_Classic_50s_Lacquer_body.jpg

Tele_bridge_pu_rout_AVRI_Mex.jpg

16. burrellaustin

Good shout my guy! The bridge route is definitely Mexican!

17. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Oops! too many 5s in the part number, should be 96115 30

18. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

boris bubbanov likes this.
  19. burrellaustin

I think it says 961150 30, if that makes any difference.

20. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Holic

My 2019 WW 50's Thin Skin came with a COA

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.