1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help applying stewmac liquid stain to rosewood fretboard

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by cw27, Oct 10, 2015.

1. cw27

cw27 TDPRI Member

I'm looking to darken my rosewood fretboard (on a fender p-bass) and I have Stewmac liquid stain. I've never used it and was wondering if anyone has advice on applying it. Also am I supposed to apply something after? the instructions say "when completely dry, apply finish topcoat.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  2. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

Depending upon its strength, it may be made to go on full strength or mixed with denatured alcohol to spray or wipe on. They mean it is meant to stain wood, then seal over with clear lacquer or varnish, For a rosewood fretboard that you want to keep "open grain bare wood" finish I would suggest concentrated dye such as Transtint thinned with denatured alcohol, then when thoroughly dry, just lemon oil or a little pure carnauba wax over it. Stain type products typically have more finish solids in them and would clog the grain pores and seal the surface of open rosewood.

3. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

You need a dye like Fiebings and not a stain.

Stain needs a finish over the top of it.

4. cw27

cw27 TDPRI Member

5. BAW4742

BAW4742 Tele-Afflicted

I use this on rosewood and it works great. I rub it on with a cloth rag, let it dry for a few minutes then wipe it clean. Be careful not to get it on a light colored neck. It's a dye and it is hard to clean up. After it drys well I coat it with oil.

6. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I used fiebengs leather dye. Wipe on, wipe off. Worked great.

7. KCStratMan

KCStratMan Tele-Afflicted

Yes, that is Transtint wood dye, it can be mixed with water, alcohol, oils, or lacquer to wipe on or spray on. Full strength it is very strong, I would mix it into some denatured alcohol, like 8 - 10 drops dye into 6 - 8 ounces alcohol, and brush or wipe it on, then once thoroughly dry, apply small amount of lemon oil or carnauba wax to rosewood surface.

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I hve done it a few times with stewmac tobacco brown if the neck has clay dots it looks great
    Put it on a rag rub the rag on a piece of scrap wood till most of the stain is gone then apply it
    wasteful yes but better to be safe than sorry

9. cw27

cw27 TDPRI Member

Could someone give me basic instructions?
    I have a few questions..Do I need to tape the neck? How do I prepare the fretboard? What about the inlays? How long do I leave it on?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.