1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help Amp won't work

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by med, Mar 16, 2003.

1. med

med Tele-Meister

Just completed a mission 5E3 Deluxe kit and it wont work.
    It lights up the tubes glow i have 324V on 6V6's but no sound at all .
    The speaker works in another amp . Is there a page i might find circuit voltages .
    Thanks for any help.
    Med (H.M.)

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Go back - carefully, even though it's not working, the caps will still be charging - and follow the instructions. You should get around 350 volts on the plate of the 6V6s with everything in and powered up.

If you got no smoke, and a hum from the speaker, it is likely you have the input jacks wired incorrectly.

Are you sure you have the speaker connected correctly? If you wire the shorting jack wrong, it will produce no sound.

I bet you'll find a dud solder joint somewhere. They shold all be shiny and smooth.

3. med

med Tele-Meister

:D Thanks for the reply i just copied some photos of the input jacks and will go over this next.
    I don't have any sound at all from the speaker but think i have the jacks correct.
    The input's another story though i'll go over it real good.
    I'll be back.

Med.

:oops: This is imbarriskin.

4. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

If you have no sound at all coming from the speaker, not even the normal idling sound, you have output section problems. Check your connections to the speaker. Is the output tranformer secondary grounded? If you are using an insulated jack to the speaker, you need to ground one side (the side that is not connected to the NFB).

5. Red Tele

Red Tele TDPRI Member

Have you given Bruce a call yet?

My bet is he runs into these kinds of issues frequently and can probably guide you out of the woods in a matter of minutes.

6. med

med Tele-Meister

Thanks for your replys.

:lol: I contacted Bruce and fiixed the problem with his first sugestion
    I had overheated the coax connection from the 12AX7 to the first volume pot and it was shorting to ground.

When i first run the amp it wasn't as loud as it is now. It was so quiet i couldn't tell if it was running till i strumed the guitar.

That and the fact it had what looked like good voltage readings all the way through led me to beleive it was an interruption in the signal path. I was just too dumb to spot it.
    I'm in
    ;) I'm in Tweedy Heaven now.
    Gotta go play it some more.
    Med.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.