Help a tube newbie select an amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by davo8411, Jul 19, 2021.

1. The Stever

The Stever TDPRI Member

Before even considering the iconic Fender Twin, try to pick one up. You best be a body builder!

superjam144 likes this.
  2. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Don't get me wrong, they are great sounding amps.. and for the most part quite reliable.

However, I'm not making up the well known problem. The 5 watt 470 ohm resistors will scorch the PCB over time if they are not lifted... that's why the design was changed by Fender on one of the later revisions. When buying a used Hot Rod, always take the back off and look at those 5 watt resistors and the PCB below them to get the full story of the amp.

hepular likes this.
  3. enorbet2

enorbet2 TDPRI Member

This has my vote

4. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I like a deluxe reverb- if it is not loud enough then you are playing to loudly- I find the drummer really sets the volume and I like one not too loud. If your ears ring at the end then change something or wear some ear protection...let the others laugh but its not worth ear damage... I have not played one but if I were looking for a new amp I would try and play a pro reverb- the newer 68 version (with one speaker and one channel) is not too heavy and I bet it sounds great

Dollarart likes this.
  5. brashboy

brashboy Tele-Meister

Yep, for tone. But for me, weight would be a major consideration.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  6. Gjguitarmn

Gjguitarmn TDPRI Member

That Fender Twin might be the way to go. Other consideration is a 50 watt DSL Marshall...depending on what sound you are into.

7. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I probably should have said "huge cleans and a huge weight".

8. steviemac

steviemac TDPRI Member

Goodsell Valpreaux….you won’t need another amp….

9. WillJ

WillJ TDPRI Member

Fender just announced they're intro'ing a Super Reverb Tone Master version. Haven't seen a demo yet. But if it's anything close to the tube version, it'll be a formidable competitor. 45 loud watts, into four 10" Jensens. But, If you're a hard core tube junkie, and got a roadie to help schlep it around, go with the Twin.

David C likes this.
  10. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

You can put wheels on the Twin. Mine had them. It was a great amp as well.

Boreas likes this.
  11. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Afflicted

I can suggest 3 great medium powered gigging amps. The 2 channel, 30 watt all tube, Peavey Delta Blues with a 15" "Blue Marvel" speaker, tube powered tremelo and spring reverb. I've had one bought new in 2003 and gigged with it countless times. It's bounced around in the back of the SUV, but always delivers the goods for the last 18 years. IMHO the earlier '90s and 2000s made in US models with the Classic Peavey logos sound better and are more sturdily built than the more recent imported Pointy logo models. They made tons of 'em so $500 used and less, all day everyday.
    20200730_161307.jpg 20200730_161521.jpg

The last 3 years I've been gigging a lot with an all tube, single channel, Sound City SC-30 30 watt 1x12" combo and have been very happy with the sound and reliability. It's a clone of the classic Hiwatt sound. USA made, massive KT-66 power tubes and spring reverb. This one would probly bust your budget, however IMO it's worth it.
    20181121_191035.jpg 20210723_150157.jpg

If you like solid state, I can recommend the 80 watt 1x12" Peavey Nashville 112 solid state combo. Designed for pedal steel, and works great on guitar too. The pre 2015 models are made in the US with better components and are the most reliable and best sounding. They made tons of 'em so $500 used and less, all day everyday.
    20201020_113812 (1).jpg

Also the solid state late '80s early '90s 65-75 watt 1x12" Peavey Bandits are great gigging amps. There's a s@#%load of them out there. $200-300 last time I checked.
    20210312_181921 (1).jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
    P Thought likes this.
  12. Gas4Teles

Gas4Teles TDPRI Member

Check out Allen Amps. I've got a Chihuahua 1x10 combo and love it. At home it sounds good at low volume. I also use it play live with my band and it is loud enough.
    http://www.allenamps.com

13. Dollarart

Dollarart TDPRI Member

I think the Fender Custom Pro Reverb would be an excellent choice also.

I have played through a Twin Reverb for years (with wheels !!) and cannot part with it. But I only use it now to enjoy when we are jamming at my place. I had always felt a Deluxe Reverb would not handle what I needed. However, I bought a Deluxe Reverb ToneMaster for jamming and small gigs figuring it is light and an ok “beat around amp”… turns out, I LOVE that amp !! Playing oldies and country rock now I haven’t needed anything more.. and it only weighs 23 lbs with 1 12” speaker.

But, if I need more volume in the future, I will buy the Fender Custom Pro Reverb before I will lug my twin around anymore. 40 watts, 2 6L6, 12" Celestion G12 NEO Creamback speaker, and 35 lbs, seems like a dream come true for pretty much any gig today. (Of course, I always have my Twin if I need it !!)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
    David C likes this.
  14. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Afflicted

Odd but great suggestion: Peavey Valveking 50 combo, used ($200-250), but swap speaker right away for a Eminence Swamp Thang ($100). Killer amp after speaker swap.

15. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Tele-Meister

I’d go with a big Fender amp and a Les Lius. Or cut out the funny business and get a Magnatone.

16. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Afflicted

I always find the scope of recommendations in gear advice threads fascinating, especially when it comes to amps.
    It’s like someone asking about a good guitar for a bluegrass band and being adviced to buy anything from a Stratocaster to a ukulele ;)

I can’t speak for the OP, but he needs an amp for a Neil & Crazy Horse band! I would at least want to know what pedals I need to get even close to the ballpark before I went out and bought a Twin Reverb or a Peavey Bandit for that gig.

17. David C

David C Tele-Meister

If $500 is my top dollar and I need 50 watts, then a used Peavey Classic 50 212 or 410 will get you there. The amp is very heavy, but it is solid.
    Now, Neil Young out of that amp? Well, that may work on the dirty channel or with a pedal.
    If you donn't mind financing an amp, then take a look at the Fender ToneMaster series. These amps are killers sound wise and available in Twin or Deluxe Reverb styles. They just introduced the new Super Reverb version, but if it may not be shipping yet. The Pro Reverb is a tube amp version that others have found and it may be the ticket for you as well. But again, that is an $1100 or $1200 amp.

Good Luck in your search.

18. Enricos

Enricos TDPRI Member

I thought I should make a general point about high-powered valve amps, because I see so many comments maintaining that "50 watts won't be loud enough" or similar. Speaker sensitivity isn't usually mentioned, so I haven't mentioned it below either, and nor have I quoted distance from source when I mention dB.

For many years my main rig was a beautiful-sounding 1974 (year, not model) Marshall Lead & Bass 50 watt head running into a 1970s 2x12 Celestion-loaded cab and it was deafeningly loud. I almost always had to use a power soak at gigs and still received complaints from sound engineers. In the end I sold it because it stayed in the cupboard unused for so long.
    The last time I toured (December 2016) I used a 15 watt JPF Sir Charles 2x10 open-back combo and still did several gigs at which it was loud enough to barely need feeding through the PA.
    None of my valve amps is more powerful than 20 watts (Cornell Romany Plus open-back combo @10 watts, WEM Westminster Mk 9 open-back combo @10 watts, Marshall Origin 20 into an Orange closed-back 60 watt 1x12 cab), I don't crank them up, and all are perfectly capable of coping unmiked with small venues of 100-200 capacity. I use pedals to create drive and all these amps have adequate headroom for such usage.
    When I play bass I use my Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 into a Genz-Benz Neodymium 375 watt 8 ohm 1x12 cab, thus the amp power rating is reduced to 250 watts, and this too is perfectly adequate for such venues.
    When I practise at home I use a 1 watt amp. I'd be doing very much more than annoying my neighbours were I to use a 10 or a 30 watt rig – but then I do live in a flat.
    The volume created by an average drummer is about 110 dB – the equivalent, roughly, of a 10 watt valve amp.
    I usually play rock music (not metal . . . more art/prog/psychedelic/experimental) and I like it loud – and clear.
    David Gilmour played the three 1973 Pink Floyd concerts at the old Earl's Court arena in London, a 19,000-capacity venue, using his two 100 watt Hiwatt DR-103 heads into four WEM Starfinder 200 watt 4x12 cabs and his rig was said to be so loud that the sound techs didn't even send it through the PA.

Don't be seduced by the false allure of massively overpowered amps for everyday use.
    Also, be aware that I live in the UK and that all my gigs are either here or in continental Europe. Mains electricity supply is 230 volts rather than 110 volts. I don't know if that makes a difference to perceived volume of amp power or not – I doubt it but I thought it worth mentioning.

19. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

So, I looked up the Craigslist for Pensacola.

There is a Sears Silvertone 1484 head for $450.00/obo.
    60 Watt, 2-6L6's / 12AX7's...what more do you want?
    It's perfect, and loaded with character.
    Look at the iron on that baby.

From where I sit, that's a REAL amplifier, not some commercial piece of throwaway crap.
    https://pensacola.craigslist.org/msg/d/loxley-vintage-amp-head-and-cab/7352254375.html

Hell, I Want that Silvertone!:eek: :D

[​IMG]

MusicMan 4-10/65 for $650.00 (could probably be talked down)
    That's awesome sauce, especially if you can get him down a little.
    https://pensacola.craigslist.org/msg/d/navarre-musicman-amp/7347207235.html
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  20. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

That MusicMan is huge. I have to be able to get whatever I end up with into a small car! :).

The Silvertone? Really? It’s 60 watts?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.