Help a tube newbie select an amp

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by davo8411, Jul 19, 2021.

1. SonicMustang

SonicMustang Tele-Meister

I've had one of these as well and really enjoyed it. It is a good amp. The dirt channel isn't useless like on a lot of other amps.

Telekarster likes this.
  2. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

What kind of music are you doing?

I play aggressive rock with a heavy hitting drummer, and a Hot Rod Deluxe wasn't enough volume for me. It almost worked if I dimed it, but then it was flat and compressed sounding with no dynamics. 50 watts through a 1x12 just won't cut it for a loud band. I like the HRD, it just didn't have enough juice. Now I'm playing a 50 watt Rockerverb 2x12, which has plenty of headroom. I keep the master at around 2-3 o'clock.

Of the options you listed, I'd go for the Twin (is it a '70s Twin or a reissue?)- you'll need to invest in a quality dirt box though, because a Twin won't give up any dirt until it's loud enough to rupture your spleen (and even then it won't sound that great). The Blues DeVille would be a good choice too, with somewhat less wonderful clean than the Twin (but still good) but you'll be able to get some amp dirt out of it (the clean channel cranked on these sounds great). You'll probably still want a good dirt box, though.

You might want to look into a Marshall Origin 50 and the 2x12 cabinet of your choice, too.

3. Telekarster

Telekarster Tele-Afflicted

Cool... that should give you an idea of this amp. I read somewhere that the "C" model had some potential electronic issues of some sort but those issues were fixed in the "CR" model, which is the most current model of this amp - FWIW.

4. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

I wouldn't buy anything go into rehearsal to figure out what volume you need. You also need to learn how to play with the other time keepers in the band. Things change, people change, equipment changes and good options pop along the way. Good luck.

guitar_paul1 likes this.
  5. Tom Quartz

Tom Quartz TDPRI Member

If you can push pause and use the Marshall for a little while, you might want to look into adding a used Carvin Belair or Nomad to your search. They're often compared to the Peavey Classic line, but I think they're a little less hiss-heavy and have a very lush clean. A Fender Super Sonic 22 might also be a good one to keep an eye out for if you're looking for the Fender sound.

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Can't beat a Twin. They sound great at lower volumes, and when you need some horsepower, they will rattle the rafters. Stop whining about how heavy it is.:lol:

If it's not a Twin Reverb, look into a Mr Black Deluxe pedal. It will add authentic sounding reverb and tremelo.

Milspec likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Peavey Bandit...

Oh, given the choices presented, the Twin.

8. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Afflicted

The Blackstar or the Peavey would be great. All of the tube choices would probably do it for you.

I just started using a Quilter Overdrive 200 with a 1-12 DV Mark cab. That givers me all the volume you need with plenty of extra, and it weighs about 22 lbs total. There are a few Quilter mini heads to choose from in the 200W range. I chose the OD because it has standard BMT EQ. The tone blocks and some of the others use Quilter's EQ setup, which some folks don't bond with, but you can always run an EQ pedal through the loop.

There are also several DV Mark mini heads with that kind of wattage, and people like them too. They're cheaper than Quilter.

If you use pedals, it's the way to go in a band setting, IMO. Loading in and out with a 50 lb amp loses its luster quickly. At 70, I ain't doing it anymore.

9. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Holic

Loud….twin….

I would stay well clear of any hotrod amp.
    they have service issues.

Milspec likes this.
  10. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Holic

sorry, overlooked something

11. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Another vote for the Marshall DSL40CR. Please don’t pass on the DSL40CR if you don’t like the DSL40C. The “CR” model is Marshall addressing the complaints people had about the “C”. You can read a ton about this on the Marshall forum.

12. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

There are hundreds, or even thousands of models made by dozens, even hundreds of makers. Most have a following. There is no way we can tell you what will work for you. Sorry.

Milspec likes this.
  13. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Start searching the internet for a used Fralin VVT combo....that is what you want. Think of it as lower powered Twin Reverb or a Fender Pro.

It checks all the boxes that you want. Comfortable carry weight, 40W, great Fender-like cleans, excellent reverb, well built, etc.

I picked one up that was less than 6 months old from a guy in Texas for less than a grand after shipping and it included an amazing padded cordura cover that had HD stitched handles that you could carry the amp with.

I love my Twin, but it is too damn heavy to drag around town, the VVT provides the same goodness in a comfortable package.

They are expensive new and don't pop up too often, but I have seen 3 of them pass through Reverb at around $1,000 since buying mine.

14. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Do you have experience with the Marshall Origin 50? A used one was available locally for $550. Our band plays Neil Young and Crazy Horse exclusively.

15. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

First, some really streamlined history (Marshall guys can nitpick the details, but the gist of it is correct)-

Back in the '60s, the Marshall JTM45 (known as the Bluesbreaker in combo form) was based on the Fender 5f6 tweed Bassman. Contrary to later Marshalls, the JTM45 is fairly clean and has a chimey, glassy clean tone. Guitarists quickly learned they could jumper the channels to get more gain. The Origin 50 is based on the JTM45, but with the channels already jumpered and offering a "tilt" control to replace the two channel volumes on the JTM.

I donked around on one long enough to be impressed- it goes from "Marhsall" gritty clean to "classic rock" levels of gain. I already have a '70s Traynor amp in this family of amp circuits so I never bought an Origin, but if I was looking for one the Origin 50 would be on my list. I think it would do great for Crazy Horse style rock, maybe with a Catalinbread Formula 5 for more authentically blown out Tweed Deluxe style tone. I'd stay away from the combos- those mount the tubes under the PCB and directly to it, which will eventually cause heat isssues. In the heads, the tubes mount above the PCB so the heat dissipates.

GC's used section has the heads for around $450 most of the time, by the time you pay tax and shipping you're a little over $500. Your local market may vary.

Lawdawg and Tim S like this.
  16. davo8411

Thank you so much for your reply.

17. davo8411

If I buy a head only, then I’ll have to shop for a 1 or 2 x 12 cabinet as well. Or will my Vox 2 x 10 cabinet be able to handle 40 watts?

Also, we only gig once a month, usually with 3 forty-five minute sets. Would the short playing time lessen the chance of having heat issues?

sorry for all the questions

18. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Get the twin, then as you age and lugging it around bends you down, you can sell it and get the requisite size Roland Cube, then reminisce how once upon a time you owned the Mighty Twin.

Not kidding.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    hepular likes this.
  19. Addnine

Addnine Tele-Holic

Is it OK to say, "Piffle" or "Bullpucky"?

20. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

You'd most likely nuke the speakers in the Pathfinder- with tube amps you want a cabinet that can handle double the wattage, so you'd want either a 1x12" with a 100 watt speaker or a 2x12" with a pair of 50 watt each (minimum). But, Marshall puts a 60 watt speaker in the 50 watt combo, so what do I know.

Lots of folks play Marshall combos built this way- they won't explode into flames immediately, but over the long run you're exposing the PCB in the combo to more stress than you would with the head. Maybe it'll be an issue, maybe not. I like to reduce potential sources of failure whenever I can, but again, if these things were blowing up all the time you'd know about it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.