1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Help a Tele Newbie Please!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RelicStrat, May 23, 2003.

1. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

Hi folks,

After 25+ years of playing the gitfiddle I finally played a Tele for the first time this week. I've been listening to
    a lot of Hellecasters, Jimmy Olander, Jimmy Bryant, Pete Anderson, etc, and have fallen in love with the Tele twang. So being a total newbie in the ways of theTeleMaster I know nothing about them. I played two different '52 RI's in the past couple of days and the electronics have got me stumped. I thought the first one I played was a dud until I played another one tonight. When the selector switch is in the 3rd position (towards the neck) the the guitar basically dies. According to the Fender web site there is no tone control in that position. To these old ears there isn't even a pickup in that position. :D Is this normal or did I grab two duds. Of course the GC sales folks know about as much as I do about Teles. Fender's web site also says that a modern wiring schematic comes with the guitar so the owner can update it if he/she wishes. Does this solve the non-pickup issue? :) If this is normal I plan on picking it up tomorrow night. The one I played tonight sure was a purty thing. I think I'm the only one who has played it. There wasn't a single scratch on the pickguard. Played real nice and sounded good too.

I've been lurking for a while now and I have to say this is the nicest, most civil discussion board I've ever visited. A whole bunch of helpful and friendly people hang out around here. I'm glad I found this place.

thanks,
    RelicStrat

2. Jeff Young

Jeff Young TDPRI Member

let's see if I can help....

Admittedly, most who frequent this board have forgotten more'n I'll ever know 'bout Telecasters.

However, it's late and there don't seem to be many of them around.

The 52 RI is a replica of what they were in 52 -- which means that muddy sound you mention. The modern wiring requires that an extra capacitor be soldered into the circuit. This should come with the Tele.

Haven't had mine changed yet, but understand that it's very easy for a tech to perform this minor surgery.

Once complete, you'll have the "modern" effect of your 3 position switch.

That help at all?

Good luck!

JD

3. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I'm to remember way back now, so don't bust me too hard if I screw this up...I've slept (among other things)since then...

1st pos.-bridge PU w/volume and tone controls

2nd pos.-bridge PU, tone functions as blend for neck PU

3rd pos.-neck PU, "crap tone" circuit, with cap to take out high end.

The modern update kit,(comes with guitar) has different capacitor and wiring schematic to make the guitar function as a modern tele.

Jake

4. undafonk

undafonk RIP

Hey RelicStrat!

Tele pickup wiring, from the top of my head:

'50-'51: so called 'blend' circuit
    '52-'66: classic wiring with - what Fender called - 'preset bassy sound'; this is what you will find on a 52 RI. In the days of old, when electric bass was still a rarity, Fender included a switch position which would engage only the bridge pickup with a capacitator to give a bass-like sound (without tone control), so that the guitar player could play basslines.
    '66-present: modern wiring, allowing for bridge pickup with tone control, combination of bridge and neck pickup with tone control(middle switch position), and neck pickup with tone control.

I have on Tele with classic wiring. I like it, but it may be an acquired taste... Most people that I know have soldered their 52 RIs with modern wiring. If you buy a new 52 RI, you will get instructions and material (capacitator) to perform this new wiring.

Good luck!

Paul

5. astro

astro Tele-Holic

I also like the classic wiring although it is really a matter of conveince for me and my playing.

The preset bassy circuit can easily be changed to eliminate the capacitor at that circuit. Most people switch to the more modern wiring. The one you musta played was probably broken in some way. Its not like the circuit is dead or has no output its just that the tone control is basically switched all the way down.

I find it was conveinent to flip to , when you wanna hit those boom boom boom bendy things.

The most important thing is to find a good 52ri. Some of them are kinda dead sounding in general. Some are really lively. Lively good, dead bad.

Good luck. Once you get one you can sell that strat.

6. benbo

benbo Tele-Afflicted

I know a Jeff Young,

But he lives in Danville, and plays bass... But keeps saying he is going to get a guitar, is it you Jeff?? Did you cross over to the tele side.........benny

7. biker joe

biker joe Tele-Meister

I changed to the normal wiring right away. However, I'm now thinking of going back. Now, I almost never use the middle setting. And I did kind of like the extra bassy sound and the ability to have it right there with the flick of the pickup selector as opposed to have to flick the pick up selector and roll the tone knob down. I thought the neck only setting with the tone down to zero would do the same thing as the old wiring neck position. But I think the old wiring did sound even more basey than the neck with the tone rolled off. Also, with the old wiring you can still find the "in-between" positions but it is a challenge to do so and practically impossible in a playing situation.

8. Blaster

Blaster Tele-Meister

Years ago (many) I tried out a 52 reissue and thought something was wrong. I was stunned that the neck pickup sounded so bassy. If I knew better I would have bought the guitar but thought the pickups were faulty. BTW - Guitar Center was blowing out some of these 52's and I didn't have a clue on the pickups.

I personally like the modern wiring. To me the pickups sound good this way.

9. Jeff Young

Jeff Young TDPRI Member

Oh no...........

.......this means there's TWO of us?!?!?!?!

Not good, Benny.

:twisted:

10. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies

The consensus is that this is the nomal operation. I was just really surprised. Not only did it attenuate the high frequency components of the signal but it drastically attenuated the entire frequency spectrum of the signal. Guess I can always change it to modern if I feel like it. I'll be going back today to give it another test drive. If I bring it home you folks will have to convince me that it's just a piece of wood so I won't feel so guilty about hacking it up to install a double bender. Thanks again for the replies. I appreciate them.

11. Brick

Brick Tele-Holic

You're gonna WHAT?

It's your guitar and you may have money to burn, but if I was gonna put a bender system on a guitar, it wouldn't be on a 52 Reissue. I'd get a MIM 50s and carve that up and save about $500.

12. RelicStrat

RelicStrat Tele-Meister

HeHe..Well actually Brick.....

That's exactly what I would do if I was to install a bender. I couldn't cut that purty Butterscotch RI up.

I would love to audition a MIM Classic '50's but no one seems to have one around these parts. Anyone know where one is in the Orange Co. SoCal area?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.