Help a poor SRV fan

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ser_Bob, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Vladimir

Vladimir Friend of Leo's

Honestly, if SRV is so important to you, just sell the Tele and get a Strat. You can always pickup a new Tele down the road.

Tazz3 likes this.
  2. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

You're more authentic than you think my friend!

3. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

4. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

...and those two lead tones show the difference betwixt a Tele and a Strat.

By comparison, the Strat sounded limp - tone-wise, anyway.

The Tele knocked it out of the park.

5. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

Many years ago I bought a Gibson SG copy because I saw a picture of Clapton playing an SG in his Cream days. Never clicked with it. Just get the licks down and play them on whatever guitar you bond with.

nigelr and Tazz3 like this.
  6. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

I respectfully disagree. When learning the style of an artist the notes and the feel you put into them counts so much more than the gear. If you play SRVs licks on a semiacoustic through a Roland (for example) it will sound much more like SRV than playing non SRV-licks on a strat through a tube screamer into a fender amp.
    More examples: Hendrix with the Flying V sounded still like Hendrix, John Scofield with a tele still sounds like Sco. It is the notes that make the difference. The gear matters – but not so much. And tele and strat are close enough.

Tazz3 and AAT65 like this.
  7. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

Absolutely, this is true WHEN you can play guitar already.

When you are LEARNING to play guitar, having the sound and gear similar takes away a big part of the "why does this sound wrong" that all beginners can go through. Leaving them to focus on learning the notes, the style etc.

You are not taking the perspective of a beginner in to account. The op is a beginner and wants to learn to play guitar AND sound like his inspiration.

Tazz3 likes this.
  8. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

The OP can get a close stevie tone out of a tele, when I first started out I had an epiphone SG and a marshall, I was playing indie rock and post punk revival, home of the fender guitars and vox/orange amps. Back then I just made do, I soon realised what got me closest to what I was after was the playing style, not the guitar. Anyway a telecaster and a strat are in the same ballpark in terms of tone and even Stevie used one every now and again. I don't think any beginner guitarist will ever replicate a tone because they won't have invested in pro level equipment (because it would be stupid to), I mean I don't know a beginner who started out with a tube amp or the pedals that they're favourite artist uses.

Also when unemployment is in the discussion big purchases should be something avoided. I'd just stick it out for bit if I was desperate I'd change the neck pickup to strat like pickup and use that but still enjoy the tele.

9. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

When I started playing electric guitar I was a fan of Mark Knopfler, The Police and the Who. So in your theory I would have needed a strat and vibrolux and a Tele with a 'bucker and preamp, lots of chorus, delay and compression and marshalls and schecter tele with buckers and hiwatt stacks and to be able to learn the music of my idols? No way I could get there. I got a japanese strat-copy and some cheap solid state crap and that was close enough for a kid in the early eighties to learn the music of my heroes.
    Like ten years later, when I was teaching guitar for a living, my students brought along the music they wanted to learn. It didn't bother them if I showed them how to play a Hendrix solo on my Ibanez semi. I think that focus on gear is misleading ESPECIALLY for a beginner. And a tele IS close enough to get that SRV tone. I've seen a lot of SRV-clones that use all the right stuff and not one of them nailed the tone. So what's the point?

10. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

My point exactly, anything is good enough in the learning stage, the fact that he has the next best thing anyway is pretty good. Much better than my start, an SG through a solid state amp marshall playing RHCP, the stone roses, arctic monkeys and every other band that used a stratocaster. He'll get past the obsession anyway, I still like all those bands but I like playing my tele more than my strat and I even miss the SG which I sold to buy a strat. The SG was a good guitar and I regret selling it but at the moment I'm selling my strat and it'll probably go today but I'm not too bothered because I get enough fender goodness from esquire, go figure.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

12. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

You should have the guitar that inspires you to pick it up and play it! and if a Strat will do that more than a Tele, that's all that matters right now imho.

nigelr, Lynxtrap and Tazz3 like this.
  13. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Don't forget that Stevie's amps were modded by Caesar Diaz.

14. Ser_Bob

Ser_Bob TDPRI Member

I am amazed with the great amount of replies. Really appreciate that.

But I must apologize for this very late reply. I have just move to a new house and it took me some time to set up my new internet.

So about the topic...

First I must point out that I know that a Strat won't give me instant Stevie's tone because most of that came from his hands. Also that Teles and Strats aren't like night an day. They are actually pretty similar

Mostly it was just an excuse to buy a 2º guitar xD And I just love the looks of the Strat and since it is the main guitar of a lot of my favourite players (Hendrix, Buddy Guy, Knofler, Blackmore,etc) it seems just wrong to not have one.

The 2 options still remain the same: Squier VM Strat or Yamaha Pacifica 112v

Has anyone played one of these or even both that can give some feedback? Is it worth to spend the extra money on the Squier or is it similar to the Pacifica?

Also, another good point you guys mention is the amp. I currently have a cheap budget amp, a Fender Champion 20. It does the job but should I consider investing in a upgrade? Problem is I play in a very small room and can't really make too much noise, so I guess a Tube amp is not the best option. What do you guys think?

15. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I would play both and see which one you like the neck on most. I love my VM Strat. Nice medium thickness maple neck.

Zepfan likes this.
  16. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Holic

That post is the most sensible so far in this thread.
    Where else than on a tele forum would people even in the strat department try to convince a beginner SRV fan to play a tele :rolleyes:;)
    Try the Yamaha and the Squire in some shops and pick the one that speaks to you. Both should be good value for the money.

17. nigelr

nigelr TDPRI Member

90% of my "heroes" play a strat which is why after playing strats for many years I no longer play them. I am not them, I don't want to sound like them but I am inspired by them. SRV found his own style and that is what we all need to do.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  18. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Holic

Guess what SRV plugged into Slashes rig would sound like .....SRV (even with a Les Paul).

19. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

This thread is reminding me of sitting in my college dorm room, playing Living Colour's "Cult of Personality" and "Type" on my BSB/maple Lotus tele copy...through a DOD stereo chorus and a solid-state KMD 130-watt 2x12 amp. I used to think it would be pretty...rad...to have a swirly bowling-ball/neon finished ESP with EMG humbuckers and a Floyd, but I still had fun trying to crank out those riffs on my tele copy.

I think the drive to acquire different hardware is natural and can help drive inspiration to play, but as many posters have suggested here, use what you have and learn to get the most from it, and don't lose sight of the fact that the most important part of your growth as a player is YOU LISTENING and YOU PLAYING...on whatever you can lay your hands on.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.